Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Filter?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
etrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

While trying to install new heater hose, I noticed this inline fuel filter on my 67. Does not look like OEM to me, but I though I would ask for help. Does the 67 even need a fuel filter?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

etrain wrote:
While trying to install new heater hose, I noticed this inline fuel filter on my 67. Does not look like OEM to me, but I though I would ask for help. Does the 67 even need a fuel filter?

Looks like someone did the smart thing and relocated the filter from the engine bay to its current location.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Depends on how dirty the fuel tank and metal body line are. If that filter does not show a lot of crud in it after another 3,000 miles, take it out of the system.

Axle boot seam should be at 3 or 9 O'Clock, not straight up.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
etrain wrote:

Looks like someone did the smart thing and relocated the filter from the engine bay to its current location.

No clamps and is the dark section wet?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

With German fuel flex fuel lines clamps only needed between carb and fuel pump where there is fuel pressure.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Only beetles that run on fuel need a fuel filter. Cool

What you have there is filter number three. The best one is the sock in the tank pickup tube, the other is the screen in your fuel pump.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

A fuel filter is sometimes a pain in the ass to install above the transmission, but a cheap insurance policy in my opinion. Better to have one and not need it, than to eventually have a few flakes of rust or dirt clot up a jet later on.

The photo's angle may be presenting an illusion, but that fuel filter appears to be quite close to the axel boot, as well as the heat-exchanger linkage. I use a zip-tie to keep it away from moving items that might cause issues.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
With German fuel flex fuel lines clamps only needed between carb and fuel pump where there is fuel pressure.

I usually agree- but with a section of the line hanging and swinging like that- with the added weight of the full filter- I'd clamp it to be safe under there. But yes, in stock arrangements, the low pressure requires no clamping.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

That little bit of weight will not matter on the metal pipes. Remember that the German fuel line just tightens up the more you tug on it. Which is why one should either slit the end open to get the hose off or use a flat tip screwdriver to push the flex fuel line off the pipe. Have yet known anyone personally who had a filter in the same place and have any problem there.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

I usually agree- but with a section of the line hanging and swinging like that- with the added weight of the full filter- I'd clamp it to be safe under there. But yes, in stock arrangements, the low pressure requires no clamping.

I agree with Hitest you take measures to limit the line to NO movement.

Mine now has a Hastings metal filter. No movement
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Clamps are cheap insurance.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Nice clamp - I like that. Couple comments

1. Am I seeing that correctly in that your axle boot splits are at 12 O'Clock? That is wrong. The joint is the thickest, least flexible part of the boot. Bentley manual says have then at 3 or 9 o'clock. I like 10 or 2 oclock myself. Lots of folks do that though. Just sayin.....

2. As far as I know VW never installed a filter except for in the tank and screen in the fuel pump.

3. Clamps - no clamps on hoses - Filters with a barbed end help, but I always use clamps. And yeah - looks like the one end of your line is leaking. And if you have stock carb use a safety wire through the clamp to a carb top screw.

4. Supporting filter - Gonna steal that supports idea in the future - very nice, BUT Glenn pointed out several years ago that having the weigt of a filter flopping around is not a good thing. What I have been doing for years is make the hoses long enough so I can zip tie the filters to the heat exchanger/body hoses.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Remember that the German fuel line just tightens up the more you tug on it.

True but the problem these days is that the gas eats away the fuel lines so the ends crack and can pull right off with almost no effort.

I have personally done that and also seen the ends get wet.

It shouldn't a problem on the feed side with no pressure though, unless there is something that is causing a pull on the line, like a fuel filter flapping around.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
True but the problem these days is that the gas eats away the fuel lines so the ends crack and can pull right off with almost no effort.

Gasoline has always eaten up rubber fuel lines. One of the first jobs I did by myself on a Beetle was replacing leaky fuel lines. This was on a 4 or 5-year-old Beetle with factory hose, and before we got ethanol in our gas.

We would cut about a half inch off of the fuel lines every few months when the ends started cracking. When the lines became too short I had to replace them.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Gasoline has always eaten up rubber fuel lines. One of the first jobs I did by myself on a Beetle was replacing leaky fuel lines. This was on a 4 or 5-year-old Beetle with factory hose, and before we got ethanol in our gas.

We would cut about a half inch off of the fuel lines every few months when the ends started cracking. When the lines became too short I had to replace them.

Like hell you replaced them - You just cut the car and made a buggy so you had another 14" of hose to trim....Don't go telling me stories.... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Harris wrote:
hitest wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

I agree with Hitest you take measures to limit the line to NO movement.

Mine now has a Hastings metal filter. No movement

fuel preheater.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

see the post link at bottom of my page regarding safety wires and engine fires. lots of fuel line info.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

EverettB how often do you have to replace the fuel lines with whatever additive that is causing the cracking problem?

If the ends crack just replace the whole flex fuel lines. Just cutting them shorter is just asking for a VW BBQ.

For us up here we replace flex fuel lines every two years even before signs of cracking and with all the ethanol used up here with no problem.
Certainly if we lived somewhere that the local fuel seemed to attack the German flex fuel line far sooner would either replace all that much more often or switch to a new flex fuel line that can handle stuff.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Like hell you replaced them - You just cut the car and made a buggy so you had another 14" of hose to trim....Don't go telling me stories.... Laughing

Ha! I wish I had cut the chassis on my buggy. Whoever did it cut right through the steel fuel line. I have a metal fuel line running right next to the brake line inside the passenger compartment. Good times!

The buggy got new rubber lines last year to replace the 4-year-old lines that I installed when I bought the car. One was cracking on the end.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

EverettB how often do you have to replace the fuel lines with whatever additive that is causing the cracking problem?

If the ends crack just replace the whole flex fuel lines. Just cutting them shorter is just asking for a VW BBQ.

For us up here we replace flex fuel lines every two years even before signs of cracking and with all the ethanol used up here with no problem.
Certainly if we lived somewhere that the local fuel seemed to attack the German flex fuel line far sooner would either replace all that much more often or switch to a new flex fuel line that can handle stuff.

Best guess is 6-18 months, it seemed to be random on when they looked bad.
I don't personally cut them shorter.
No need because I have a huge roll of line I got years ago I'm using up.

In my "daily driver" '63 I switched to modern fuel lines, they still look perfect and it's been at least 3 years. I should buy more.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: