Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

Wish I had pictures, but I'm at work and do not.

Cali is making up for lost time and my windshield seems to have sprung a leak. Though, there is no obvious point of entry. Both lower left and right corners seem to be permeating water. The left is particularly bad. Where the seal touches the dash screws seems to be permeating water as well. = Wet floor and hazard of water running past fuse block...

I've set up an appointment to potentially have the seal replaced. Caveat is that there are some rust spots along the seam that I abated using POR15 + topcoat. Will the shop be able to put a fresh seal over the little rust bubbles? Will they be able to address the rust before proceeding? I'm a bit concerned about the cost and want to get an idea of how this sort of repair is approached.

Cheers
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

I have the same problem and I haven't yet figured out where the water enters. I have cleaned the seal area well and used a flowable silicone in the corners, along the whole bottom, and part way up the sides. I got distracted by more pressing projects but plan to go back to that and fix it before the next rainy season. Thankfully I don't live in a rainy area.

Make sure you lift the carpet, the padding (which soaks and keeps the water in), and dry the area under it, check for rust there. Water that gets under there will be trapped and sit a long time without evaporating, even in the summer heat out here.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

Here in Oregon where it rains everyday, this has always been my soloution in every rig.

New gasket, schedule remove replace at glass shop( always make sure they have a windshield in stock just in case) have them Urathane the glass onto the weatherstrip then Urathane it into the opening.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

I had the same problem last year, even after replacing the seal and dealing with some rust. I ended up putting some sealant all the way around the windshield and I haven't had a leak since. I can't remember the exact product, I think it was made by permatex and it had a small enough dispenser that I could cram the tip between the seal and the body to dispense. I'm sure it will be a pain to deal with when I eventually pull the windshield for paint, but stopping the leaking was crucial.
Some people call him Maurice...
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

Guybrush wrote:
I have the same problem and I haven't yet figured out where the water enters. I have cleaned the seal area well and used a flowable silicone in the corners, along the whole bottom, and part way up the sides.

Well, it isn't running UP and in between the body and the seal. It will start at the top, then run down the sides, and then wick along horizontally at the bottom and enter. So you need to seal all the way around, or at least the top and the sides.

Now, if you see water running over the lower part of the rubber seal, then you need to seal between the glass and seal.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

This is also what i did on my last Bay window. I had no rust at all yet it never did seal perfectly. I used the Mopar RTV silicone, black..
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

zak99B5 wrote:
Guybrush wrote:
I have the same problem and I haven't yet figured out where the water enters. I have cleaned the seal area well and used a flowable silicone in the corners, along the whole bottom, and part way up the sides.

Well, it isn't running UP and in between the body and the seal. It will start at the top, then run down the sides, and then wick along horizontally at the bottom and enter. So you need to seal all the way around, or at least the top and the sides.

Now, if you see water running over the lower part of the rubber seal, then you need to seal between the glass and seal.

Which is the case for me. The problem appears to be water pooling near the bottom corner, not the top.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

Don't forget to check the seal around the antenna.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
I used ...silicone..

be sure you never take the vehicle to a painter, as they will likely try to kill you
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

Fun and games...I'm also in the PNWet.

Have a backup plan for when you pull the windshield and find rust:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...ht=vanagon

I pulled my windshield, did my rust work and then had a mobile installer come put the glass in to get their "No Leak" guarantee. Promptly went back to their shop after it failed the garden hose test to have them pump in the glazing compound (or whatever it is) between the seal and the body. Seems to be staying dry. For now.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

Silicone, RTV ....... Shudder!

Just making long term problems for a quick fix those products are.......

Any leaking rubber sealed glass demands Bedding sealant, anything else is going to be a long term problem. Paint adhesion, excessive rigidity, etc....

http://3mcollision.com/3m-auto-bedding-and-glazing-compound-08509-1.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

Cool, good info keev.

My seal definitely has a bit of a gap in the tophand corners. Likely where the water is entering and then permeating out the base, as zak99B5 pointed out.

Question is, can I get away with squirting some bedding sealant into all of the gaps, or should I have the seal replaced for a freshy+bedding sealant (dry van being the primary concern, cost secondary, though nearly equally important)?
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

Never use Silicone!

Its interesting to see all the comments of " where its leaking". Remeber its water and its entry point is rarely where you see it comming out from. I currently operate and insure 9 vehicles from 1946 to to 2008 and over 50 vehicles in the last 20 years and they have all had a leak somewhere. Im no rocket scientist hut I am an expert at locating and stopping water intrusion on automobiles. The urathane trick with a new gasket works everytime.
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
Never use Silicone!

Its interesting to see all the comments of " where its leaking". Remeber its water and its entry point is rarely where you see it comming out from.

People have a brain my friend. Some of us are able to look into and track a leak to see where it's most likely coming from. Geese.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

You might try reaching out to samba member 16CV's. I believe he is in your area and installs windshields.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

I installed my new windshield seal dry, but did take the time to treat the surface rust on the sheetmetal and the pinch weld seam. Additionally, I applied some Seal-All to the seam, 'cause I found that rust had formed in there and had widened the gap. I strongly suspect that the seam was the source of ingress for my previous water leaks. It hasn't leaked a drop in the two years since I re-sealed the window.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

Guybrush wrote:
I have ... used a flowable silicone in the corners, along the whole bottom, and part way up the sides. .

not a good intro to be followed up by telling someone to have a brain

if you are lucky, your painter will die of lung or kidney disease before he can hunt you down and kill you for using silicone
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Guybrush wrote:
I have ... used a flowable silicone in the corners, along the whole bottom, and part way up the sides. .

not a good intro to be followed up by telling someone to have a brain

if you are lucky, your painter will die of lung or kidney disease before he can hunt you down and kill you for using silicone

My painter will be me. And removing a bit of flowable silicone is as easy as just pulling on it or rubbing it with mineral spirit.

And learn to read. I did not tell anyone to "have a brain".

I think that most of the time we can do without your "helpful" participation.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

Guybrush wrote:
Thankfully I don't live in a rainy area..

I suppose taking water leak advise from someone living in Oregon wouldnt be your best idea. Rolling Eyes
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain = Leaky Windshield. What Do? Reply with quote

Guybrush wrote:
removing a bit of flowable silicone is as easy as just pulling on it or rubbing it with mineral spirit.

nope

and it is becoming more clear that you do need some help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: