Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where should I put my fog lights?
Inside the overriders
88%
 88%  [ 23 ]
Outside the overriders
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 26

BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

Inside

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Outside

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

Inside, mos def
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

^^2x for inside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

I know I don't have overriders, but narrower looks better than directly under the headlights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

Who cares how it looks......the best way is as low as possible......bottom side of the bumpers. Driving lights on top. Ray
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Who cares how it looks......the best way is as low as possible......bottom side of the bumpers. Driving lights on top. Ray

Low is good, but is it better to be closer to the center or further out?

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Low is good, but is it better to be closer to the center or further out?

I was thinking about that one. I guess it depends on your driving style. If they are really foglights....the lower the better....and the beams will spread fairly wide. Center would be fine.

But if you live in deer country like I do.....either give some aim to the sides or put them outside the overriders for the best chance of seeing them. Ray
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

Appearance? go inside if the look is more important that the function.

Proper function? go outside directly under and inline with the headlamps.

mi dos centavos
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
Appearance? go inside if the look is more important that the function.

Proper function? go outside directly under and inline with the headlamps.

mi dos centavos

THIS!
Ray
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

I have mine in the center, and I dont know about "proper function", but mine illuminate the world.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:

I have mine in the center, and I dont know about "proper function", but mine illuminate the world.

But are those driving ligjts or fog lamps?

In reality....you "could" make a good high powered fog light from a dedicated driving light by placement (down low) and aim (slightly low of center)....so if you need fogs and cant get dedicated fog lamps.....you could make it work fine.....but if its really "FOG" lamps you need because you are dealing with fog.....tey need to be down as low as possible.

Those look to be driving lights and are placed as such. Nice though! Ray
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

Indeed Ray, I should have read the post better.

My apologies.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Indeed Ray, I should have read the post better.

My apologies.

Those are some big mothers though.....which ones are those? Hella makes killer driving lights. Ray
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

On either side of the front spare tire.
top of bumper - at least for round headlights

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

Fog tends to stop a foot or so above the ground. Fog lights attempt to put light into this semi-clear space. A true "fog" beam pattern is very wide but very short, with a sharp cutoff on the upper portion. You only see this in "real" fog lamps (Cibie, Marchal, some Bosch, etc.) The point of the pattern is to (1) keep the light from upwardly illuminating the fog, thus creating glare, and (2) illuminate objects on the shoulders of the road so as to provide situational awareness. Most no-name fog lamps being sold (and factory-installed front facia lamps) don't have a clue as to proper beam pattern.

Thus, if you have real fog lamps, and want to use them as such, mount them as low as possible. Because the beam is wide, avoid obstructions to the light (like a nose-mounted tire, overriders, etc.) If you have the other kind, mount them wherever you like - doesn't matter.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Fog tends to stop a foot or so above the ground. Fog lights attempt to put light into this semi-clear space. A true "fog" beam pattern is very wide but very short, with a sharp cutoff on the upper portion. You only see this in "real" fog lamps *Cibie, Marchal, some Bosch, etc.) The point of the pattern is to (1) keep the light from upwardly illuminating the fog, thus creating glare, and (2) illuminate objects on the shoulders of the road so as to provide situational awareness. Most no-name fog lamps being sold (and factory-installed front facia lamps) don't have a clue as to proper beam pattern.

Thus, if you have real fog lamps, and want to use them as such, mount them as low as possible. Because the beam is wide, avoid obstructions to the light (like a nose-mounted tire, overriders, etc.) If you have the other kind, mount them wherever you like - doesn't matter.

Yes well put......and if you take a look at Hella's site.....in the 500, 700 and 1000 series they offer the fluted glass lens in fog specific as compared to crystal clear for driving lights.

You will alwo note in the specs....that most driving lights list "upright" installation (bracket on top of bumper or roof). ...and most of the fogs list install down or have the option of buyimg them in one configuration or the other because they have been designing the reflectors in a directional manner for quite some time.

It used to be....on some of the original H4's and H-1 lenses....they had a bowtie shaped anti-glare prism at the top and bottom of the lenses.

These could be used for either fog or driving lights with auxiliary bulbs and correct mounting and aiming. Ray
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

I like this look on late bays

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

OP, what was the reasoning for buying these fog lights? Do you need to illuminate the road better during foggy contortions or do you just like how they look?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: Best Position For Front Fog Lights Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
OP, what was the reasoning for buying these fog lights? Do you need to illuminate the road better during foggy contortions or do you just like how they look?

I'd say 60/40 function to form. I like the way they look, but don't want to mount them where they won't function properly.

I've opted for somewhere in between the photos I posted

Here's the beam from one lamp with the bus up on ramps

Here's the vintage hella kit I picked up on the classifieds

And the beautiful orange fog switch I found on ebay

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Accessories Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: