Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

So I'm at my favorite old school junkyard 2 weeks ago looking for parts for my Plymouth. They have a reputation as for not being very foreign car friendly. Offhandedly I ask if they have any Bus's or ACVW in the little "import" lot behind a big building. "Nope, no Bus's maybe a couple of Bugs..". I head down there and "wow" a pretty nice 76 Westy!! I go back to the office and they again say they have no Bus's (double checking their computer inventory). We go back and forth "Is it a Vanagon?..an RV?" Finally I ask them to look under "Transporter". Ta-da there it is! The mislabel kept it hidden in their inventory for years. This may be good info to keep in mind when cold-calling yards or going to yards that don't allow "browsing". Here are a couple of pics showing the recovery..
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

My buddy Andrew, hamming it up..it was about a 1/2 mile journey with many obstacles precariously balanced on a forklift.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

Not so bad..

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

Nice find Manfred!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

Thanks, here is the "teeter-totter" ride

zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

Great find. Can't wait to see whats inside this old beaut...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

Seems like many perhaps most parts places list these as either Transporters or T2's. I almost never heard a Transporter being called a Bus until I came onto Samba as way more people I have run into call them vans while southern California and Arizona people oddly to me call them bugs. Asking for "Bus" parts in a wrecking yard would be about the last term I would use.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

A very charismatic sixth grade student of mine INSISTED that I call my bus a Deluxe Microbus, because "that's what it is; it's a Microbus, and it looks nice."

"Ok, kid!" Laughing So for a few months I called it just that... What's funny, is that's what my insurance company calls it too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

Everyone calls my Bus a Bug...

Confused
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Everyone calls my Bus a Bug...

Confused
Hhmmm...so what do these people call a bug?..
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

Asking a yard for a "VW Bus" has always worked till this event. Very odd. The Bus is fairly complete. I had to put 4 rollers on it, put the slider back on, screw in some camper windows. Came with grenaded (but complete) 2000 cc engine. No trans (heavy sigh, that will be an expensive part). Interior complete minus swivel seat ( 2nd heavy sigh, that ain't gonna happen). Zero floor rust, minor dog leg rust and a few scrapes. Its buttoned up against the weather for now. Super back burner project for now, probably the last one I will find, they are picked clean 'round here.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

Very nice score. Lots of cool stuff can be had when you get creative on how its named Wink Hope To see good things and more pics - but for christ sake use a better camera Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

That is a 9 year old samsung with very low pixal quality. I'm pretty much computer illiterate (re-sizing photos?? doubt I'd ever figure that out..). No way I'm replacing it unless it dies (flash quit working). Quality is a bit hit or miss, that is for sure. You should see my "phone". I will get some "tidy up" shots soon.
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

When I lived in Central Texas there was a ACVW shop that specialized in ACVW's. I asked about parts for a type IV engine for my 75 bus and they told me it wasn't a type IV engine but a type II engine. I said I know the bus is a type II but I have a type IV engine. They argued a bit and stood firm that my bus had a type II engine. I never went back to them.

Moral of the story is that not everyone knows what to call VW's.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Very funny junkyard mislabel and rescue Reply with quote

No worse than VW/Bentley referring to them as dual carbureted/fuel injection engines. Crying or Very sad that is about as confusing as it gets. I would have a better idea what was in someone's VW Bulli Station Wagon if they told me it had a Porsche engine. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: