Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fruita, CO: Easy Access MTB and Camp
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Fruita, CO: Easy Access MTB and Camp Reply with quote

I'm heading out to Leadville for the training camp, and to break up some of the monotony of the long drive would like to stop in Fruita. I know there are some sambanistas that regularly prowl that area.

Since there is some time pressure this time, I'm looking for:

Easy access dispersed camping
Easy access MTB trails
Not too technical, hardtail friendly (Leadville is more about fitness)
Flexible distance

Any suggestions?

I want to minimize time spent orienting myself in town, I can do that on a later trip.

I do want to ride my road bike around Colorado National Monument so I can react scenes from American Flyers, but I think I'll skip the brain aneurysm part.

Thanks
bikelash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fruita CO: Easy Access MTB and Camp Reply with quote

Directions: 18 Road: Exit Interstate 70 at Fruita (Exit 19). Head north on Cherry Street and take the first right onto Aspen Avenue. Go through the roundabout and continue on Aspen to Maple Street. Take a left on Maple Street and travel north for approximately 3.6 miles (Maple turns into 17.5 Road.) Take a right on N.3 road and then a left on 18 Road. Travel approximately seven and a half miles north on 18 Road until you reach the North Fruita Desert Campground.

There is free dispersed camping along the way up to the blm campground . The trails abundant and easy enough to be done on a hardtail.

64 baja sold
72 sb wrecked
69 baja sold
69 std sold
72 sb sold
54 std sold
74 sb-ongoing
88 westy-ongoing
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fruita, CO: Easy Access MTB and Camp Reply with quote

Thanks!

That's exactly what I was looking for, a quick hit to get a feel for the place. Later, when I have a little more time, I'll check in with a shop, do a little homework and explore.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fruita, CO: Easy Access MTB and Camp Reply with quote

Bikelash gave you the info you need but, if you're passing through town during business hours, it's worth a quick stop at Over The Edge to pick up the postcard sized map of the 18 road trails. You'll be passing right by that bike shop. A fit rider can ride just about every inch of them in a day as long as you have a plan.

If you have a good headlight, Joe's Ridge and Kessel Run are fun to lap in the dark.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: