Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1983 Vanagon Diesel
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jltrogdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

Hi all! New member here! Have opportunity to snag a 1983 Volkswagen Vanagon with a deisel engine. It has not run since around 1990. The engine was rebuilt around that time but it was never put back in the vehicle. Right now the engine is sitting in the back passenger area. Any thoughts? I'm open to any ideas or input! Thanks!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

Welcome to the madness. The blue 2 tone color scheme is one of my favorites. In the USA I don't believe there were any 83 diesels imported (they stopped in 82?). I am not sure about Canada though.

Should be a fun restoration project. More photos please. Very Happy After sitting that long its going to need a complete going through. All the rubber will likely be needing replacing, including the hoses and brake parts. A lot of work, but if you enjoy it? Shocked
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Jltrogdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

Well I don't have any other pics right now. It's actually a family vehicle and I'm getting it for .....FREE!! Lol though it won't be free in the end lol!! It's been so long that I'm not 100% sure that it's an 83.... But I do know that it's a deisel because I'm remember way back when having to make sure the gas station had deisel lol!! I'm hoping to go pick it up 4th of July weekend and I can post more pics then!! If anyone has any experience with these, I'm all ears!!!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

There were '83 diesel vanagons imported into the US. I own one of them and have worked on several others. The nicer things about the '83 over the '82 are that they all came with the 5-speed trans, updated cooling system, better dipstick/oil filler setup, improved electrical (coolant level sensor/glow plugs), etc...

Definitely snag it up for FREE!!! I'd recommend ditching the stock non-turbo 1.6 and taking the opportunity to upgrade.
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
There were '83 diesel vanagons imported into the US.

Cool, thanks for the correction. I am guessing they weren't imported in large numbers? It's too bad we never got the 1.6TD JX version...

There is some diesel specific quirks, and the 5 speed trans and linkage is somewhat rare in the USA. Otherwise the van will be very similar to early watercooled vanagons. Lots of great information on this forum (check out the FAQ sticky for tons of links).

Andrew is a great source of information, and has posted lots of details in various diesel threads. You might just go through the forum reading all the recent diesel and TDI threads. Tons too take in.

The stock diesel engine makes very little power. The stock trans gearing is also short for this reason. That makes these vans very slow in stock configuration. Many diesel owners opt to upgrade to one of several turbo diesel engines. I believe all diesel engines prior to 97? 98? will physically bolt up to the transmission. With some work to adapt the intake and exhaust obviously.

Anyways, lots of good info once you start digging. Cool
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

Congrats! I found an '82 diesel for cheap but it was too much trouble for what it was. I would have gone for it had it been an '83 because of the 5-speed and the improved carrier bars and other pieces that would have been more desirable for the swap to a VW I-4 gasser engine.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

Just to let you know that at the time this van was made the speed limit in the USA was a mere 55MPH, so getting to go any faster than that is a strain.

If you do buy any parts on the Samba classifieds or anywhere else just be aware that the ’83 diesel had many parts that were not interchangeable with ’82. So don’t waste your money thinking all diesel parts will fit.

Also, be skeptical that the engine was really rebuilt. More likely someone honed the cylinders and put new rings in it. If that is your “rebuild” then you can expect maybe 20k miles out of the engine. And it may have been done in a backyard shop, these engines are rather weak already so it may spring leaks or have other major failures. Be ready for anything.

Otherwise the diesel Vanagon is a great invention and extremely economical. I’ve been driving one for 16 years and it has never left me stranded.
Jltrogdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

I do like the thought of keeping the original deisel engine even though she's a slow poke:) it just depends on its condition. How hard is it to find parts on that baby? I have read that a lot of the 82 and 83 parts are NOT interchangeable....I can't wait to get my hands on it!!!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

the good thing is in FL there's no hills. much less mtns... so keep off the highways. and it'll do just fine..

though I wouldn't count on any of the engines in these images.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

My 1983 Vanagon diesel 5 speed ran at 60 mph all day long.

Great car and 30 mpg and heat in winter
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

Engine parts are plentiful, as the same engine was put into Rabbits, Quantums, and Caddys (pickup truck). Parts peculiar to the Vanagon can be impossible to find, such as an air intake rubber tube and a certain eccentric coolant hose.

The pressure tank is a weak point due to its hanging awkwardly from a wedge mount which causes the tank to crack. You will probably never find an original replacment so best to fabricate a gentler mount for it before it breaks.

The box under the stickshift need attention lest it degrade and ruin parts that are hard to fix and impossible to find, the assembly is only found on ’83 diesel.

If you ever take apart the instrument cluster be EXTREMELY careful not to break off the corners holding the screws. Recommended to reinforce the corners before disassembly, I believe the plastic used is styrene. Also the mylar circuit board is extremely delicate and prone to breakage.

I would also recommend changing the rigid black braided rubber hose that curves down into the clutch master cylinder. A more modern flexible hose can prevent a major fluid spillage that will ruin your sub floor mat.

You should also check the tightness of the shift lever that goes into the transmission with a 13mm socket. If it ever vibrates loose bad things can happen.

Can’t think of anything else.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

Updating the pressure tank to the WBX version is easy. Rather than fabricating a new mount for an old pressure tank that is NLA, I'd just make one for the WBX tank.

All of the diesel hoses are available new from Germany - a complete new set is 150 euros. Silicone replacements are available in the US.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

Still miss my white on blue 1983.....

Crying or Very sad

Jltrogdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

Well I have an update....the van is in fact an 82....NOT an 83.... Does that change anything? Should I still go for it? I'm going to lol:) any other advice?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

You should still get it for free, but IMO the '83 is more desirable for all the reasons I mentioned before.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1983 Vanagon Diesel Reply with quote

I would go for it in a second, in fact I am looking for exactly that (although just now thanks to Andrew, realizing that an 83 is a better choice). My hope is to find a van like that, with a 1.6na D., and put a turbo on it.

From what I heard, the only really terrible thing about non-turbo diesel engines, is that they do not burn fuel efficiently in the mountains where the natural air pressure is not enough to get enough air into the engine... so what I would do (meaning, the simplest and CHEAPEST way) would be to put a turbo onto the NA engine but make sure to only set it to a tiny amount of boost and fueling because the NA engine lacks piston cooling jets.

Anyhow, I am pretty much a newby to this stuff but I also have an '82 diesel (turbo JX engine) and I just spent the last 6 months with my hands VERY dirty going thru in detail many many many of the fundamental basic things - and thanks to the amazingly knowledgable and generous dudes here, my van is now running great. I would highly recommend taking note of this thread - it is HUGE, but on the first page I put in an index pointing to page numbers of various main topics.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640611&highlight=

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: