Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
dobryan wrote:
Heck, every road in Key West is
level. I can put the passenger wheels
on any curb and fill till overflowing.

Done.

Hey Dobryan. Did you do some testing? Any impressions?
Thanks

I brought my extra leftover 201 with me but the weather did not cooperate. It was too cool on the way down to get the tranny out of the 140's and a different ambient temp a week later on the way back. No way to get a valid comparison of any cooling effects of 'over filling'.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Next time. Thanks anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Hmm, this is very interesting, as I'm constantly worried about the transmission in my '78 with TDI.

When I had it rebuilt/regeared, I asked about the SA oiling plates as I'd seen them here, but it seems that there was no room in the 091 transmission.

This idea seems like a great one to get some more/cooler oil up there in my gearbox too. Can anyone comment on whether the little nozzle/squirter would work for me with an 091?

Because I don't have a shifter linkage to worry about being in the way, it seems like I could also just use the original, simpler version if that is still a possibility.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Sodo
Did you consider installing your fitting in the higher position to shoot over any oiling plates? I think I heard the higher location referenced as the 37mm position.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It almost seems that if I had an AA splash plate then your fitting turned 180 degrees would point the flow down into the gear, as well as, orient the cool oil supply line lower to clearance the bottom of the van and leaving the fill plug open. Granted maybe not as effective as your method, but may be the only option if one has a plate.

Thoughts?

Not following this very well rcmd and can't figure out the question. Plz try again a little different? Oiling plates block the best shot, it's just "unfortunate". PCForno drilled a hole to position a nozzle to get above the oiling plate to hit the 4th gear mesh.....with significant effort. Would be interesting to see his pics.

vwwestyman wrote:
This idea seems like a great one to get some more/cooler oil up there in my gearbox too. Can anyone comment on whether the little nozzle/squirter would work for me with an 091?

vwwestyman, maybe consider this fitting, and drill "like" the 37mm 094 recommendation. I think you want to try to douse the mainshaft bearing and cool the gear carrier housing that holds the mainshaft bearing.

The mainshaft bearing will get hot from the over-engined condition (as will 4th gear). The mainshaft bearing needs to cool by conducting its heat to the gear carrier. You don't want the expansion of the gear carrier housing to loosen it's thermal fit. And other reasons too!

Note the "fabled 3mm gap". On the 094 it's 1/2mm (NOT 3mm).

This gear carrier is "broken" but you can see where the nozzle directly cools the gear carrier housing and tries to pack cooled oil into the mainshaft bearing. Keep in mind that at 70mph the gearteeth are whizzing by at 47 ft per second, and some NASA research papers I read showed virtually NO gear cooling attained by spraying at the gearteeth in a "sh*t hits the fan" manner. Read the thread below it explains this position (I think?).

Here's the fitting, I have 3 of these currently. (# 3,4,5 on https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2127370 )

I don't know if this is best for your 091, and don't know anything about the 091 case - I'm just assuming it's similar to the 094. See thread: Drill transaxle oil port with trans in-car. Prob can't get into an 091 discussion on the Vanagon forum. If you send me a link from the bus forum I'll get in there and try to help. Or start a post with some similar 091 case pics? Hope this helps.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

So here's a bent tube that gets around the AA plate. It will work as depicted above in the hand sketch. The AA aluminum plates fit in a prescribed location. The black plastic plates location can vary. I don't know if GoWesty Aluminum plates are AA plates or same dimensions.

Many people have installed the oil climb plates. I think the plates HAVE to help at lower speeds..... I doubt they make (much) oil climb at 3400 RPM though. That's just __my__ doubts. But "oil plates" have to be better than "no oil plates".

So if you're driving 75mph, then have to slow to 45 for a few minutes to pass some old grandpa (or a splittie) you're doing a good thing.

But anyway, I think it's reasonable to make a fitting that gets around the AA plates. I'll make a usable one and maybe someone with AA plages can test-fit it.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
rmcd wrote:
Sodo
Did you consider installing your fitting in the higher position to shoot over any oiling plates? I think I heard the higher location referenced as the 37mm position.

It almost seems that if I had an AA splash plate then your fitting turned 180 degrees would point the flow down into the gear, as well as, orient the cool oil supply line lower to clearance the bottom of the van and leaving the fill plug open. Granted maybe not as effective as your method, but may be the only option if one has a plate.

Thoughts?

Not following this very well rcmd and can't figure out the question. Plz try again a little different? Oiling plates block the best shot, it's just "unfortunate". PCForno drilled a hole to position a nozzle to get above the oiling plate to hit the 4th gear mesh.....with significant effort. Would be interesting to see his pics.

vwwestyman wrote:

vwwestyman, maybe consider this fitting, and drill "like" the 37mm 094 recommendation. I think you want to try to douse the mainshaft bearing and cool the gear carrier housing that holds the mainshaft bearing.

The mainshaft bearing will get hot from the over-engined condition (as will 4th gear). The mainshaft bearing needs to cool by conducting its heat to the gear carrier. You don't want the expansion of the gear carrier housing to loosen it's thermal fit. And other reasons too!

Note the "fabled 3mm gap". On the 094 it's 1/2mm (NOT 3mm).

This gear carrier is "broken" but you can see where the nozzle directly cools the gear carrier housing and tries to pack cooled oil into the mainshaft bearing. Keep in mind that at 70mph the gearteeth are whizzing by at 47 ft per second, and some NASA research papers I read showed virtually NO gear cooling attained by spraying at the gearteeth in a "sh*t hits the fan" manner. Read the thread below it explains this position (I think?).

Here's the fitting, I have 3 of these currently. (# 3,4,5 on https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2127370 )

I don't know if this is best for your 091, and don't know anything about the 091 case - I'm just assuming it's similar to the 094. See thread: Drill transaxle oil port with trans in-car. Prob can't get into an 091 discussion on the Vanagon forum. If you send me a link from the bus forum I'll get in there and try to help. Or start a post with some similar 091 case pics? Hope this helps.

Link

Here’s a testing video at the higher location. You’ll need a spare gear carrier for dialing the angle right. You’ll also have to exactly replicate the hole location, tap angle, and the ultimate “clocking” of the nozzle as small variations will result in a “miss” of the ideal location. You may not get it perfect, but as in long range shooting - aim small, miss small
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I'll make a usable one and maybe someone with AA oil plates can test-fit it.

OK it's gonna work.

Notice where an .85 OEM 4th gear idler ( the upper gear) rubbed on the case just above the nozzle.
So that's how big an .85 4th gear idler is. (there's some bevel...)
A .70 gear is bigger, possibly leaving no space for an oil pipe above the oil plate.
If anyone knows the gear diameters (of .77 .75, .70 idlers) I can check them.

Pretty sure Samba member Jalan is going to test this one.

=============== edit ================

Real difficult to check your oil level with this type of nozzle. CONSIDER to drill an oil check hole (on the driver side), this is discussed (with pics) on page 2.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8122213#8122213
Just the way it goes with a pump system, filters, etc etc, Someday, when you lose some oil, gain some oil, get ‘lost’ WRT your oil level, you’re gonna want an oil level check hole.

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:52 pm; edited 5 times in total
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Very nice! Tom, thanks for your commitment to furthering the potential of our gear boxes.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

SteveMc wrote:
A bored through tube fitting would allow greater flexibility in directing the oil flow.

Whodathunk?

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Members as humble as SteveMC offering expert help freely is what makes theSamba !

That our member gears was willing to risk his nest egg to build stronger gears/shafts/housings (gears) is impressive too. We are lucky for that. Talk is cheap. Collectively theSamba can get these trannies to last longer if we keep pushing forward and keep the ideas coming.

I've been making nozzles for awhile, and selling them (very slowly), so there are NOT a lot of folks building pump-systems (with my nozzles). But I'm almost done with another batch of 6 (for transaxles with no oiling plates).

Oil climb plates (which I don't have) are a significant band-aid that many transaxles have, as the best current option. Pumping oil has to be better, but with no real test, it is ....speculation. And there will_be_no_real_test like an OEM test. Other than time, so you have to wait. And even then...everyone knows about members who like their mods, "they really really like them". So there's that.

Cooling is important only if parts are getting too hot and fooking the oil film (and the oil too) which will happen with big engines driving fast. Clean oil,,,, and/or active filtering is probably the other big contribution to longevity (again.... with big engines driving fast). And better parts.

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmm, this is very interesting, as I'm constantly worried about the transmission in my '78 with TDI.

The fill hole nozzles Sodo has been working on won't work on the 091 gear carrier because it's angled on the side with the fill hole. On mine (aircooled vanagon transmission) it's a front shifter, so that stuff is in the way too.

The 091 is totally different than what's been covered so far in this thread, so here are a few pics:

091 Gear Carrier Inside:

091 Gear Carrier Outside:

You could still make a nozzle that would work in the fill hole, just need to figure out the angle. But when talking to my rebuilder, I think we came up with another solution that will work just as well, maybe better.

In the shifter housing (at the nose) there is a chamber that's directly behind the mainshaft bearing. If we flood this chamber, it should push oil through the mainshaft bearing. There's a galley in the chamber, but this will get a lot of oil to the bearing regardless.

Approximate drill location for the fitting. 2 holes are needed to get the squirter nozzle in the chamber.

Current plan for the squirter fitting. Will be TIG welded, but could probably get away with JB weld, etc.

I'm wondering if there's enough passage ways for oil to make it back into the gear carrier quick enough. 2 gallons / minute is a lot of oil to pump into a small space. I'm afraid it'll fill up and then try to force its way out the shifter linkage. Any input here would be helpful. Maybe the pump only needs to pulse? Or cut the flow down? I'll be using the Weddle / Turbowerx geared pump. Drill a return hole in the gear carrier?

Another concern is the clearance above this fitting to the firewall, because it will still require a 90°. It will be close judging by this pic (found online).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

I think you found a beautiful solution.
The 4wd 094s ( watercooled Vanagons) will be envious of flooding the mainshaft bearing. I don’t know if a similar process can be done on a 2wd watercooled 094.

Not a lot of 091s out there pumping oil though but you could be their hero (w/your builder) for this method.

I don’t understand your worry (yet) about oil leaking out of the shift shaft.
You could tee off and add a fitting to the filler, with a bent nozzle, and squirt a larger portion of the 2gpm at the 4th gear mesh.

Samba members might appreciate labeling pics with their respective transaxle number. So far all the pics have been “094” watercooled transaxles. Now that we’re seeing pics of 091s which may be rare, it might help members to keep things organized if the rare trans had “091” embedded into the image. Or “air-cooled”.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Oh you`re getting there Razz

For the overflow in the chamber, you can adjust the flow maybe by installing a pressure bypass valve on a tee with a return loop. When it gets too full and force fed, pressure should increase opening the bypass valve.

Oh and you should have enough room with the firewall but not with a straight AN fitting and then an elbow on top of that. Theres foam on the pic you found online, but not that much. I would weld the fitting already at 90* to keep it low profile, then put a straight fitting on that to your hose.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

I don’t understand your worry (yet) about oil leaking out of the shift shaft.
You could tee off and add a fitting to the filler, with a bent nozzle, and squirt a larger portion of the 2gpm at the 4th gear mesh.

The T with a second nozzle is a great idea. Cool

I'm just not sure how much oil can flow through the mainshaft bearing. From what I can tell, that's really the only way it can pass into the gear carrier. Maybe some through the pinion bearing and shift rods, but not much.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

For the overflow in the chamber, you can adjust the flow maybe by installing a pressure bypass valve on a tee with a return loop. When it gets too full and force fed, pressure should increase opening the bypass valve.

Oh and you should have enough room with the firewall but not with a straight AN fitting and then an elbow on top of that. Theres foam on the pic you found online, but not that much. I would weld the fitting already at 90* to keep it low profile, then put a straight fitting on that to your hose.

Bypass valve, I like that idea.

I thought about having the fitting as a 90, but it would have to be very stubby otherwise the mounting tab at 12 o'clock will interfere with threading it on. I have some fittings on the way and will see what makes the most sense.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

ALIKA is visualizing his M24 oil cooler fitting with an M14 banjo on there... Wink

Maybe with a bent 3/8” copper nozzle epoxy’d into Alikas fitting at the correct angle to squirt the 4th gear mesh?

The bearing is reacting the same force that holds the gear teeth meshed. The bearings are a very important element to preserve. I can’t think how to decide which which way to bias the delivery. They will both get a fantastic amount of lubricant.

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

New location (to scale) for the squirter as long as there aren't any issues drilling through that rib. I don't see why there would be. This way I don't have to jack with fittings on top.

For the second nozzle, I just ordered a 3/8" NPT male with hose barb, and the -8AN stainless weld bung just showed up. I like how the 3/8" tubing fits tight in these fittings. EDIT - I'm dumb and should have just ordered another -8 to 3/8NPT from mcmaster...

I do have another M24 fitting from Alika, but would have to order another bolt and union and should have the fittings I need if I go this route (3/8"NPT to -8 with nozzle). 3/8" aluminum tubing will be here today, and that might be easy enough to bend.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Back to this thread....

Oil level check-hole on the left side of the transaxle.

With an oil pumping system there have been two situations where I lost control of my gearbox oil level.
My oil filler hole has a nozzle in it - and a hose connected to it, so I can't easily confirm the oil level. I have an oil check hole on the nozzle, but there are conditions ……., so wheres the oil coming from, the level, or the hose draining? It can get confusing and messy.

And being a Syncro, you can get confused by the “1 quart” of oil that gets caught up front in the low-gear housing. It can take awhile to 'level' or to drain out. I'm sure that 'lost quart' confuses a lot of folks. Remember you have to lift the front of the Syncro 9-12 inches, then give it time to drain all of the oil out. Maybe hours? I don't know how long it takes but it comes out pretty slow.

================

Anyway my trans is "OUT" again (due to the Smallcar input shaft spacer problem from 2009-2011) so I decided to add an oil level check hole on the driver's side for easy access.

Note VW provided a boss right at the oil level.👍🏽👍🏽
Cool.😎😎

^^Test hole drilled on an old case.^^
Nothing in there to hit.
You can poke the drill in about 1.5 inches before it hits a shift rod.

I used a 1/8-27 NPT plug.
I do not worry about magnesium chips anymore.
But I did pressurize the trans to blow out whatever I could while drilling and tapping threads because it seems like poor form NOT to.
But they are so soft, and I filter and change oil often too.
And lotsa folks drive 150,000 miles in terribly contaminated oil while rolling out steel chunks in their gears.
Magnesium is nothing, like brass but maybe even softer.
Magnesium is so soft it might even protect the gears.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the ability to easily confirm oil level.

===================

That miscellaneous sensor wire is from this project in another thread.
Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

I like my oil level check hole.
Especially on a syncro, which has a sequestered volume (the low-gear housing up front) that takes oil slowly, then drains slowly,,,,,
…..confusing Syncro owners since 1985. Including me in 2016-2021.

T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I like my oil level check hole.
Especially on a syncro, which has a sequestered volume (the low-gear housing up front) that takes oil slowly, then drains slowly,,,,,
…..confusing Syncro owners since 1985. Including me in 2016-2021.

This is a cool mod. I've always wondered about a better way to check oil.
Would it make any sort of sense to add a sensor a little below the oil level that would trigger a red light on the dash if it was out of the oil? Something with a delay that would also take into consideration the angle of the transaxle so it didn't flash every time you did a steep climb?
- Transaxle rebuild, Mexico paint job, Front end rebuild, 320Ah LiFePO4 Battery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: