Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

I'm in the position of replacing my VC. I do run a decoupler and run the van decoupled most of the time except when I'm off pavement or on snow. Im interested in opinions from actual owners of rebuilt units from German transaxle (found on van cafe). Im looking at the sport VC. I don't wish this to become a VC vs solid shaft thread or an argument about how VC's work (as I think these topics have been beat to death). Looking for real world reviews of rebuilt VC's, especially sport VC. Thanks!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

I have a huge collection of VCs.
My experience is with rebuilt units from AA trans.
They have performed exactly as described.
Sorry, no experience with the VC / GTA units.
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Thanks Insyncro. Seems like not many have had experience with the VC's from van cafe. In that case, any comments about rebuilt units from AA transaxle? Curious as to how quickly the 'sport' engages. My old VC would allow perhaps 1 full rear wheel revolution before climbing a 2x4. Is a "sport" unit about the same?
Thanks in advance
Phil
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

I acquired a rebuilt VC from GTA when they rebuilt my front locker. So far, so good.
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Well folks, I just got thru a fun front end overhaul on my 87' Syncro Doka. This involved replacing ball joints, bushings and boots. As well I had a bad Viscous coupling, based on the VC test, so I replaced it with a rebuilt unit from Van Cafe.

Well, I got it aligned and now the front wheels are very bound up. Even going straight I can barely get into second gear. I followed all the steps in the bentley and took my time.

With the front end jacked up the front tires spin fine, but when driving it seems the VC is really binding up. Any ideas on why this might be happening other than a possible bad unit?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

That's some real nice looking nether regions ya got there...... Wink

vandoka wrote:
Well, I got it aligned and now the front wheels are very bound up. Even going straight I can barely get into second gear.

Not sure what you're getting at here. The VC is gets its power off the mainshaft and cannot affect shifting.

If it seems all bound up driving straight that suggests that the front R&P ratio is not equal to the rear R&P ratio. Did you change the trans or the front diff? Or the Front & Rear tires are different sizes? I can see the high loads of four tires scrubbing making it hard to shift.

Two kinda crazy suggestions, I know. But your problem is a strange problem so I'm starting at square1.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Agree on the confusion with being unable to use 2nd gear. Are you saying the binding is so bad when you declutch to shift to 2nd the van slows so fast you nearly need 1st gear again? That's the way I'm reading it.

If so, you're subjecting the drivetrain to enormous force and indeed I would also wonder about extreme tire size differences or the F/R ratio question. Going straight that's about all I can see doing that.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

For the shifting, if the shift linkage was undone from the tranny, it is pretty common to put it back slightly wrong which makes 2nd hard to get into or stay in. The rod bushing plate needs to be on the FRONT side of the 2 small tranny ears that the plate bolts to.

Mark
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

The truck was working fine prior to changing out the viscous coupling. I did not do anything to the trans or linkage or ring and pinion. And the resistance is what keeps me in first gear, it's not a shifter issue. So I am gonna pull out the driveshaft today and see if I can isolate the problem.

Wondering though if anyone has seen similar issues when a viscous coupling was swapped?

Thanks for the help.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

are your 4 tires EXACTLY the same size? if the previous VC was bad and slipping, your new VC could be binding due to different ratios as Sodo said. tires will do that.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

As mentioned, if the old VC was freewheeling it could have masked some underlying issue that is now exposed with a working VC.

Mark
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

The tires are all the same size. Here is a thought, I added new schwenk springs to the front, this raised the truck a bit, and despite the driveshaft bolting back up just fine could the slight change in angle and or length affect how the driveline functions? I can easily add the new rear springs to level it out.
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Mark, that is also a consideration...the front differential could have had some terminal issue..
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Before pulling the drive shaft: If you jack up only one side of the Syncro so both tires on that side are off the ground, turning the rear tire should cause the front tire to rotate the exact same amount. Mark both tires with a piece of tape so you can see that their positions are always synchronized. Try 10 revolutions, watching the marks. Exactly synchronized the whole time?

Mark
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Ok mark, I will give that a try. I did have one side of the truck up in the air and the front and rear were rotating together, but I will measure the ratio more closely.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

You can easily test your VC that it isn't overly stiff and isn't binding. Lift just one front wheel, all others on the ground (you can set the handbrake for the rears and lift one side, or lift under the front control arm). Trans in neutral or in gear, doesn't matter, the rear pinion will be locked by the rear wheels. Coupled if you have a decoupler.

Turn the lifted front wheel, you should be able to turn the tire slowly and smoothly by hand against constant resistance. One turn of the tire equals almost 5 turns of the VC, so you don't even need to go all the way around to feel the VC thru a full rev. Feel for any irregularities in the force required to turn.

If you have a beam-type torque wrench, put it on the wheel axle nut, or a lug nut, and you can measure the VC's static or breakaway torque. Build up torque as slowly as you can while watching the beam indicator. Note the torque when the wheel starts to move at all. I have what I consider a "normal" VC, it requires about 20ft.lb. applied to the axle before the wheel begins to turn.

With the beam wrench you can turn the wheel steadily, the faster you turn the higher constant torque it will require. Even better than turning the wheel with your hands, this would let you see a jump in required torque that would indicate binding inside the VC. As a comparison, when I apply a steady 80ft.lb. it takes about 8 seconds to make 1/4 turn of the wheel.

Anyway, measuring torque is extra, my main point is you can assess the VC for being overly stiff statically and for binding thru a full rev. very easily at one front wheel.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Is it possible you mistakenly received a "sport" VC?

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

As Sodo and Mark already pointed out, maybe your R&Ps don't match. You have only had the van for a year right, so maybe the front diff has had the wrong gear ratio the whole time and the VC was free wheeling the whole time.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
As Sodo and Mark already pointed out, maybe your R&Ps don't match. You have only had the van for a year right, so maybe the front diff has had the wrong gear ratio the whole time and the VC was free wheeling the whole time.

Yeah Mark's is a good easy test for mismatched R&P's. Do that and if it passes set the handbrake while it's up and do my test and you'll probably nail down the problem.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Good reading. I had to fix a torn boot on a rear axle a couple days ago. I recalled that I should be able to slowly turn a wheel and have the vc slip. Just one rear wheel off the ground and grabbing the tire with two hands it took a lot of force to very very slowly turn the tire. ( doing this to access all the cv bolts easier). More than 20 ft lbs I'm sure. My vc has been feeling stiffer and scrubbing in tight turns seems worse. Could a stiffening vc cause a shudder or vibe in a 3rd gear deceleration or steep down hill coast? Sorry for the little hijack.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: