Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DcWHaT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

Hey all my VW peeps, I have a 64 bug and it is already lowered in the rear. I was curious at what is the lowest degree you can go before u have to do a tranny raise, or remount the shift linkage? Thank you everyone!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

Depends on how often you want to replace tires.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

If the vehicle is static you can run into tire wear issues, fulcrum plates/axles wont be happy, stripping the center out of the rear brake drums is pretty common and the wheel bearings have a tendency to go dry since no oil will travel up the axle tube to lubricate them.

A 1" trans raise will help a bit and keep the shift linkage in the tunnel. A 2" or 3" raise will lead to rear luggage tray modifications, linkage above the tunnel and your engine sitting high in the engine compartment (the engine sitting high is a clearance for the doghouse and if you run dual carbs issue).

Driving with excessive rear camber is a little dodgy, the back end follows every little imperfection in the road. Driving in the wet/rain is a whole new experience as well.

I love the look of a slammed Beetle but just wanted to be honest about what problems you can expect if you are driving it often.

Mine sits very low but I am on air ride and generally don't drive completely lowered unless I am going under 20 KPH (shows/parking lots)

Patrick

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba 67 Beetle build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607949&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

You can go so low that you can tear the sump plate off on manhole covers, but I wouldn't recommend it.....

brad
DcWHaT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

Ok is anyone reading my question I know I can just drop it wear out my tires blah blah blah, I asked at what degree of the is the lowest before i have to do a tranny raise.
DcWHaT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Always one smart ass that doesn’t know shit
DcWHaT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

Canadian VW wrote:
If the vehicle is static you can run into tire wear issues, fulcrum plates/axles wont be happy, stripping the center out of the rear brake drums is pretty common and the wheel bearings have a tendency to go dry since no oil will travel up the axle tube to lubricate them.

A 1" trans raise will help a bit and keep the shift linkage in the tunnel. A 2" or 3" raise will lead to rear luggage tray modifications, linkage above the tunnel and your engine sitting high in the engine compartment (the engine sitting high is a clearance for the doghouse and if you run dual carbs issue).

Driving with excessive rear camber is a little dodgy, the back end follows every little imperfection in the road. Driving in the wet/rain is a whole new experience as well.

I love the look of a slammed Beetle but just wanted to be honest about what problems you can expect if you are driving it often.

Mine sits very low but I am on air ride and generally don't drive completely lowered unless I am going under 20 KPH (shows/parking lots)

Patrick

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you for actually answering my question somewhat. I know everything u just said was just asking for a number for a level VW for rear spring plate angle, 0 10 5 15? What
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

DcWHaT wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

So you are saying that if you are stupid enough to have your car that low, that it will not cause premature tire wear ?

Thanks for clearing that up for us.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

DcWHaT wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

That's better than the dumb ass that thinks he does. Laughing

The further that you lower a swing axle car, the more that the toe and camber are affected, this leads to accelerated tire wear, the further out it is, the faster the tires will wear & the worse the handling will become.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

When you are asking for the lowest degree is that degree of camber on the wheel or the degree of the angle of the rear spring plates? I wont have an answer either way since mine is adjustable with air but it might help get you closer to an answer.

Samba 67 Beetle build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607949&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

DcWHaT wrote:
Ok is anyone reading my question I know I can just drop it wear out my tires blah blah blah, I asked at what degree of the is the lowest before i have to do a tranny raise.
The spring plates will only go so low, then hit the stop, unless you get adjustable or lowered plates.
DcWHaT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
DcWHaT wrote:
The spring plates will only go so low, then hit the stop, unless you get adjustable or lowered plates.
was just curious, was just a question, I have drop plates on the rear, I trimmed my bump stops down.
DcWHaT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
DcWHaT wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

That's better than the dumb ass that thinks he does. Laughing

The further that you lower a swing axle car, the more that the toe and camber are affected, this leads to accelerated tire wear, the further out it is, the faster the tires will wear & the worse the handling will become.
lol you funny, it was just a question of degree that was it. But I guess people from North Carolina can’t read. I know you wear tires and have shitty handling. One day will be able to read.
DcWHaT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

Luft kühl wrote:
DcWHaT wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

So you are saying that if you are stupid enough to have your car that low, that it will not cause premature tire wear ?

pretty much. But it will look awesome
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

DcWHaT wrote:
One day will be able to read.

Rolling Eyes Laughing

But if you try to phonetically pronounce your screen name three times fast it suddenly becomes quite fitting.

DcWHaT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
DcWHaT wrote:
One day will be able to read.

Rolling Eyes Laughing

But if you try to phonetically pronounce your screen name three times fast it suddenly becomes quite fitting.
googling words won’t make you smarter.
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

DcWHaT wrote:
Luft kühl wrote:
DcWHaT wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

pretty much. But it will look awesome

I am glad that all of the other children will think that your car looks cool .

Who knows, you might finally get all of the attention that you seem to need.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

DcWHaT wrote:
googling words won’t make you smarter.

Google? Wha dat? We hick ass Southnahs don't know about google & we used up all the books to wipe our asses after we visit them there shit shacks.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 VW bug how low can you go in the rear? Reply with quote

2 outer splines starts to wear out tires and bearings quickly. So I guess the answer you're looking for is one spline. You can use the RLR kit and raise your transaxle 1 inch and use an early bus nose cone and keep the shift rod in the tunnel. Or you can do what I did on my 57 and drop it one spline and raise the torsion housing 3 inches. Was slammed and rode like a dream

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: