Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

This is a curious request, but it comes out of this post:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7871770

Winston rejoices in a set of rims off a slightly lower-performance vehicle, an '85 Audi TT 5000 Turbo. So far, they have been adequate to his needs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These rims have a central plastic cap, from which I assiduously removed the 'Audi Circles.' Ecce:

These plastic caps are held in place by small, decaying plastic clips that go into the central hub:

Tack Adhesive notwithstanding, the driver's side front plastic cap fell off and disappeared. Fortunately, I have spares.

The plan is is to buy these earth magnets from this source:

http://www.gaussboys.com/store/index.php/magnet-shapes/discs/d0802e-n42.html

and glue them with this glue:

http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-P9415-Ultimate-Performance-4-Ounce/dp/B000MVOXLE

in the 5x112 patttern over my lug nuts, which, and I checked, are magnetic.

Your useful comments are invited. That should hold them on quite well and yet still allow their removal (there's a little 'prying notch' in the plastic hub cap) for rim and tire-related activity.

Why am I telling you all this?

Shocked

Has anyone got a printable 8.5x11 template of the 5x112 bolt pattern our wheels use? I'd like to print that on cardstock and use it to help me position the magnets when I'm gluing them to the plastic.

I am thinking that Christopher Schimke, nee 'Loogy,' who sold me some great components for all I did on Winston's wheels might have something, including suggestions, but I thought I'd throw this out for you all. As plastic ages, we have to get creative. Perhaps this creativity will be useful to others, as would be that printable template! I lack CAD software or recent expertise.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rlevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

Could you not just put the magnets on the lugnuts, glue on magnets and apply the cap?
let dry and caps are fixed?
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

PM me your email.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you not just put the magnets on the lugnuts, glue on magnets and apply the cap?
let dry and caps are fixed?

An elegant solution--but there's a gap. I COULD possibly use the magnets to hold on roofing nails to mark their spots on the cover. Thank you for your help, sincerely.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

I'm sure someone have/can generate it, but...

Why not the reverse?

Put a sheet of paper on top of the nuts
Hold it in place temporarily with the magnets
Feel and draw the edges of the nuts through the paper
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

Another good idea... less precise, but, a good idea. Thank you!

Best!
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

No need for computers, or printing, or internet. Just a pencil and a piece of paper.

1: Remove a wheel, could even be the spare.
2: Use a stone rubbing technique with a pencil and a sheet of paper on the mounting face of your wheel.

You can even draw your own without removing the wheel. Try this!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagon#Another_method
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

Thank you! But, if somebody, as I thought was likely, already HAD one...

Best!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

I did get a functional PDF via mail from raoul mitgong, which should do just fine. Thank you very much for helping a fellow Sambanista out!

Best!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

Can you post that pdf on this thread for the future? Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

With raoul mitgong's permission, yes, or perhaps we have a 'Files' section into which, with his permission, I could put it?

Best!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

Well, I did it... I won't know for a while how well it worked!

A friend who had the software and the knowledge to make my template as a vector graphic did his own version, which included a circular cut-out for the large hole in the center and the five smaller circles where I would put the earth magnets over the lug nuts. I DO have an SVG file of the template, which he said I could share. ADMINISTRATORS: Anyplace to upload it? Here's what the template looked like when I printed it out on cardstock and cut it out:

There are also four pins at the edges of the Audi wheel covers, I just notched those out. I used Simple Green, then Dawn, the sink and a toothbrush to de-grease the wheel covers. I measured as best I could the depth the lug nuts sat in the rims, ecce:

and the tiny amount of arch in the plastic wheel center covers. Those are Winston's new Michelin LTX Defenders, by the way, if anybody wondered what those looked like. I have not yet put much mileage on them, just enough to lose one of the wheel covers that were held on with tack putty.

Evil or Very Mad

The measurement of the distance from the plastic wheel center cover to the lug nuts coming to about 3/16", I ended up going to these people:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

and getting 22 (in case of accidents) of these magnets:

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D82E

I scuffed their epoxy coating with emery paper, then drew circles through the holes in my template, and scuffed the inside surface of the four wheel covers, again with the emery paper. I had to redraw them. On the photograph below you will see where I missed on one, and had to re-redraw them.

Shocked

I cleaned up the magnets (which had a deep attraction for each other and anything remotely ferrous nearby) and the wheel covers with alcohol. Then it was a matter of epoxy, careful setting, and twice finding out that the magnets could pull each other around on the film of the epoxy if I wasn't careful. I caught that happening in time the SECOND time it happened and was able to with great difficulty pry the misaligned magnets off with a mini-pry bar. Fortunately it was only one magnet the FIRST time it happened. The following day's result--I did one with no clips at all left as the initial test:

Well...

The test cover, the one with no locking tabs left at all, stayed on, then, when I rotated it, suddenly went CLICK and I could neither lift nor rotate it further. I 'aimed' the magnets more carefully on the remaining three, which locked on hard. I could not get them off without prying, which struck me as counter-productive and so I let it rest there.

As one of those wheel covers, now lost, stayed on for over three years when being held on by electrical tape around the surviving center, I am optimistic. It only got lost after they had to remove the tape to install the new tires. But I shall inform as circumstances and honesty require.

Shocked

Best!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

Good stuff here. Any updates on this project?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bolt Template? 5 x 112 Reply with quote

How does the phrase, 'Complete Success' work for you? At least, that seems to be the case. Today, with the express intention of testing the magnets on the covers and Winston's new Michelin LTX Defenders at highway speeds, I took him for a 16 mile highway jaunt. I also wanted to test his steering with the new ball joints.

Part of the way was on grooved concrete pavement, which will test ANY tire or wheel. He did fine at speeds around 60 to 65 MPH. He steered well... and all four of the hub covers stayed on, including the replacement for the driver's side front, which had barely any of the original plastic fastener left. I ran him up to 70 for a bit, and checked twice at either end of the run. Everything looks good.

I had to move him out of the garage due to some work we needed done. He started agreeably on the 2nd try, and that prompted me to swat down my nagging concerns.

They are swatted.

Best!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: