Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vtwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

Is it just me, or are these the same as the wheels GoWesty et al sells?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

GoWesty wheels may look the same,
But Mercedes' strength is hard to tame.
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

Manufacturer: Quality Aftermarket ! right on the gowesty website
vtwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

Right... quality aside though... its the "same" wheel, size, lugs, offset etc etc
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

The chinese copies do look similar, that is the point. The MBZ wheels are often thick walled at the mounting face requiring long wheel studs while the copies don't.
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

Those ebay wheels have an et51 offset. You're gonna need spacers.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

GoWesty wheels are made with the proper offset for Vanagon. The actual Mercedes wheel offsets (ET) will vary and as others have said, will require spacers.

By the time you buy spacers, new lugs and bolts, the cheaper wheels turn out to be just about the same price as the direct fit GW wheels.

You think you'll be saving money but you won't in the long run.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

Grrrrr.

I quite dislike offhanded remarks about cost X vs Y, you'd be much better off studying the rim in question, and being sure the fabrication and weight capacity are up to task carrying our loads.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

vtwestie wrote:
Right... quality aside though... its the "same" wheel, size, lugs, offset etc etc

Nope, totally different. I mean, not one thing that applies to the aftermarket ASA version that looks similar to that wheel will apply to the factory Mercedes wheels.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Grrrrr.

I quite dislike offhanded remarks about cost X vs Y, you'd be much better off studying the rim in question, and being sure the fabrication and weight capacity are up to task carrying our loads.

It's completely valid since I went through the same exercise not too long ago. Not off-handed at all.

If you buy used mercedes wheels, you're going to spend between $260-$300 more to fit them to the van with spacers, lugs, and studs. So $100 wheels will cost $700 in the end, not including shipping if they're not local.

GW wheels at $180 ea/ $720 for 4 is equal all things considered, and direct fit.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

After what I've seen with those aftermarket ASA rims, you couldn't pay me enough to run them. The lug flanges are thin and cast with crappy aluminum. I don't particularly like the look of those rims or their MB counterpart. The good news is that MB produced tons of 16" rims with far less offset than needed for a W140 S-Class rim. Look for ET37 rims from E, C, CLK, SL, etc. class chassis for better looking and fitting rims.

I run 16" staggered rims from an SLK with ET30 in the back and ET37 up front. Longer studs in back and longer lugbolts in the front from T3 Technique. A thin 7mm spacer up front and I've had nearly fifteen years of good luck with that combo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

I too would not want aftermarket lower quality wheels.

I have been running T3 technique hardware - 10mm spacers with Mercedes CLK wheels.

If need be, I can find junk yard/facebook market CLK wheels as a replacement. I actually own ~12 clk rims total at this point. Some are in poor condition and will need to be refinished. These are my forever rims.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

To be fair the ASA wheels I have are made in USA. They were on my van when I bought it in 2014. Maybe it has changed?

I'm not a fan either, plus everybody has them. I'm not sure how they became a thing, prolly bc of Go Westy selling them.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels? - Mercedes-Benz A1404001402? Reply with quote

Rheins, baby!

In my opinion, the best-looking wheels on a Vanagon. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: