Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Undercoat
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: undercoat Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
I sanded and painted the inside of my fenders and fender wells. You may be able to find a Krylon spray paint that is very close to your color. Since it is under the rest of the paint it doesn't have to be an exact match as long as it is real close. Prep the surface correctly and take your time doing it in layers and it will look great. Then, once a year just use a red scuff pad to scuff any chips and shoot the few spots here and there with another layer or two. It will blend in.

If you don't want to deal with the painting, I would recommend using a good, high quality bed liner kit. That stuff is tough and durable and will handle road debris much better than undercoating. I used undercoating on the inside of floor pans before and regretted it. It doesn't set up to a durable finish like bed liner.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Would you please post photos of the rest of your Bug, you got a very interesting paint scheme, I'd love to see the whole thing! Very cool from what I see.

Thanks

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: undercoat Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
I sanded and painted the inside of my fenders and fender wells. You may be able to find a Krylon spray paint that is very close to your color. Since it is under the rest of the paint it doesn't have to be an exact match as long as it is real close. Prep the surface correctly and take your time doing it in layers and it will look great. Then, once a year just use a red scuff pad to scuff any chips and shoot the few spots here and there with another layer or two. It will blend in.

If you don't want to deal with the painting, I would recommend using a good, high quality bed liner kit. That stuff is tough and durable and will handle road debris much better than undercoating. I used undercoating on the inside of floor pans before and regretted it. It doesn't set up to a durable finish like bed liner.

Would you please post photos of the rest of your Bug, you got a very interesting paint scheme, I'd love to see the whole thing! Very cool from what I see.

Thanks

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: undercoat Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Thanks

Sure. Not the best lighting, and I had just had the car jacked up on both sides washing and drying the undercarriage and inside of the fender wells so the back looks jacked up...it's normally a lot lower in the back. But these are the most up-to-date graphics. I hand painted this over the last 7 years. I stopped counting at 500 hours. I had never tried to paint before until I started this car. Found out I can do it and like it. It's a good stress reliever. I've still got a lot of little details to do, but that's ok...I'm in no hurry to be finished.

Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: undercoat Reply with quote

Perhaps a fitting way to pay homage to Janis Joplin's customized Porsche 356
http://autoweek.com/article/auctions/janis-joplins-porsche-356-brings-16-million-auction.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: undercoat Reply with quote

Not the cheapest method, but I swear by the tintable Raptor Bed Liner kit. Here is a pic of the results after 3 coats. Foam ear plugs work perfect for plugging the fender bolt threads, and they are reusable.

HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: undercoat Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Not the cheapest method, but I swear by the tintable Raptor Bed Liner kit. Here is a pic of the results after 3 coats. Foam ear plugs work perfect for plugging the fender bolt threads, and they are reusable.

I like that!!! Looks great and is durable. Nice job.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Undercoat Reply with quote

Thanks, I am very pleased with the product. Easy Off oven cleaner worked great to remove the factory undercoating from the wheel well area.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: undercoat Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:

I actually found this thread and was going to ask if anyone had used the raptor liner before. it looks really nice.

how has it held up?

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: undercoat Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Thanks

Sure. Not the best lighting, and I had just had the car jacked up on both sides washing and drying the undercarriage and inside of the fender wells so the back looks jacked up...it's normally a lot lower in the back. But these are the most up-to-date graphics. I hand painted this over the last 7 years. I stopped counting at 500 hours. I had never tried to paint before until I started this car. Found out I can do it and like it. It's a good stress reliever. I've still got a lot of little details to do, but that's ok...I'm in no hurry to be finished.

What an amazing bug, HippieTom ! Took me back to happier days like a Time Machine and made me smile!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: