Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear brake drum removal
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drzdirtbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

Fellas
I'm having a hard time getting my rear brake drums off of my 76 westy.
All the adjusters are backed off till I can see space between the linings and the drums.
The bus has been sitting for many years, so I thought that the drums where seized onon, so I put a bit of heat around the centre.
Does the large nut hold the drum on too?? Any ideas.
Thanks, Randy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

No, on the '76 you do not need to remove the large nut to remove the drum. You undo the two small bolts which you did already and then the drum should come off. Usually though either the shoes are not backed off enough or there may be a wear ridge on the edge of the drum, try backing the shoes off as far as they will go.

It also may be rusted/corroded to the hub - may require some heat and some hammer time.
Drzdirtbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll try and back them off some more.. Good to to know about the nut.. I thought so just wanted to double check.
Cheers, Randy
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

A thin application of anti-seize on the surfaces where the drum and hub meet will prevent them rusting together as they likely have.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

Give it a few whacks with a 2x4 or block of wood.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

Drzdirtbag wrote:
Fellas
I'm having a hard time getting my rear brake drums off of my 76 westy.

Try this . . .

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=9102#p163804

Quote:
To remove the drums, scribe a scratch between the inside drum hole and the axle coming out the middle, then give it only a little wet of PB Blaster. If it rotates easily but won't come off, look between the lug studs and drum holes for a tiny little bit of space opening up as you pry the outer perimeter of the drum. If you see this little wiggle, the drum is NOT locked to the hub flange, but rather the inner hole of the drum and the axle. A sharp rap to the perimeter of the drum as you pry, will usually spring it free.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

If you have the ability to remove the axle nut then you don't have to break the drum free from the hub. With the right tools I find removing the nut and hub the easiest way to deal with the brakes. It is also the only way to access the outer wheel seal which I believe should be replaced whenever you rebuild the rear brakes.

This is about the cheapest setup for removing the nut.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7045
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

See where the part number is on the outer rim of the drum? take a hammer and a 2x4 and give that spot a liberal whack. Then do the same on the opposite side of the drum. I had the same problem on my 78 and the hammer\wood trick worked like a champ, although it took a few whacks on each side.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

The last time I used one of those tools on a stubborn axle nut I was left with a noisy bearing that needed replacing...

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

The last time I used one of those tools on a stubborn axle nut I was left with a noisy bearing that needed replacing...

Whacking on the drum isn't that good on the bearing either.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

Drzdirtbag wrote:
Thanks, I'll try and back them off some more.. Good to to know about the nut.. I thought so just wanted to double check.
Cheers, Randy

Randy - did you get the drum off/ If not try hitting it with a hard rubber mallet at 10:00 and 2:00 until it comes loose a little then grab it and pull. Hitting it with a steel hammer may break or deform it. An alternative would be a small sledge with a piece of oak in between. Pine is too soft and will absorb the energy needed to break it loose.

One caveat - if it will not turn then a brake shoe(s) is holding it. In that case loosen the adjusters until it turns freely.
Drzdirtbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

Fellas.. Well I finally got at least one of the drums off!!
I had to use heat several times, beat the heck out of it, finally I had to use a hammer and punch from the backside inspection hole to work it off..
Yes the drums where backed all the way off and turned freely. They where just super rusted onto the axle.. Oh yeah, did I mention that the van has been sitting for over 20 years!!
Well, on to the other side!! And yes, I will be replacing these drums after having to beat on them..
Thanks again fellas for everyone's help and input..
Randy..
I think that this is the last thing I need to do before I bring the van in for inspection to get her back on the road.. So stoked!!
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

Try putting a jack under the inner part of the drum,not enough to lift the bus,then hit the top of the drum.works well on semi truck/trailers,
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
KailuaVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

what are the specs/max you can turn your rear drums before they are no good? I Have a 76 Bay window and there is a small lip in the inner surface of one of my drums. hoping its salvageable, just can't find the specs been searching without any luck.
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

IIRC the maximum machining allowance is 0.020 inches (0.50mm) from the original diameter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

Wear limit is 253.5 mm (9.980 in) diam, turned max diam is 253.2 mm. The numbers should be cast right into the brake drum itself.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

don't be too quick to scrap every iron part, drums can shatter, they don't deform
all that much, & your vintage drums are likely >50% better than what you
could have shipped to your door in 48 hours, as long as the inner diameter
is within limits. Old VW pieces tend to be the best stuff to retain on your bus.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

KailuaVeeDub wrote:
what are the specs/max you can turn your rear drums before they are no good? I Have a 76 Bay window and there is a small lip in the inner surface of one of my drums. hoping its salvageable, just can't find the specs been searching without any luck.

If your brakes haven't been pulsating and your drums are still in spec and not badly scored, you can remove the lip with a 4 -4 1/2" disc grinder or a die grinder with the right stone.
skylarkman2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drum removal Reply with quote

Following all the suggestions trying to remove a rear drum on a 78 bus that I just got to restore.
None of the suggestions worked.
The adjusters were completely frozen. The brake pads look new.
Since I had gotten the drum to move a little off the hub, I knew that it was the brake shoes holding it on.
I released all brake fluid pressure, since I am going to rebuild the cylinders anyway. I also removed the line and bolt holding the cylinder. This gave me just enough space to finally work the drum off.
I have done brake jobs for a lot of years and never had to work so hard to remove a drum.
Just add my suggestion to the rest.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: