Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
JBURCH1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I am restoring a 67 bug as well. Just got all the electrical in and trying to get everything to work. Couple things I cant figure out. Anyone know the correct wiring for the high beam wires? I have a brown and abrown white coming from high beam switch and both wires are cut. How are these two wires supposed to be wired?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

No idea about the wiring man, sorry. By the way, I made a youtube channel to follow the restoration along with this thread. Here's the link...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNKp_Jp5pmZoGOZiVW7DVKw
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

JBURCH1974 wrote:
I am restoring a 67 bug as well. Just got all the electrical in and trying to get everything to work. Couple things I cant figure out. Anyone know the correct wiring for the high beam wires? I have a brown and abrown white coming from high beam switch and both wires are cut. How are these two wires supposed to be wired?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Paint removal is going well...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Rock and roll man, never ever give up.

I got my 67 when I was in 11th grade. I daily drove it in high school and college for 5 years, did a pan-off restoration, and kept driving it until the world convinced me it wasnt a "practical" and "reliable" car. (Top tip, >21,000,000 people and 50 years of motoring history disagree with that.)

10 years later I've got that very same 67 all apart again, addressing some mistakes I made - namely that I was afraid of cutting out the heater channels during my first pan-off. Turns out that by the time I went to put my beetle back on the road again the channels were completely gone and the chassis was weak and flexed like a noodle. I will tell you though, that I am well on my way to daily drive that 67 again regardless of how frustrating it felt pulling the body apart again.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the aircooled experience is amazing. The community here is filled with great people and smart advice, and driving, maintaining, and refurbishing these cars becomes a rewarding part of your identity - as well as bragging rights! We are thrilled to have you in our community and I personally am very glad to see that you are not making the same mistakes I made. (Smart move with replacing the heater channels and pans - its a longer term investment than you might think.) For what it's worth, we're all rooting for your project to be a dynamite success and based on your tenacity and mechanical acumen that I've seen in this thread, you're gonna blow everyones mind with the finished product.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the support man!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Front apron repair almost done!

I've ground it and primed. I just have to fill some pinholes and then just need to put some Rage filler over it and I'll be golden.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I've been working on the front wheel well lately. Hoping to get it finished so I can get a new firewall in and then heater channels! It's coming along!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Im assuming you're working on the front firewall? If youll be cutting out a large portion of it I'd recommend doing the final fit-up of the front firewall and the new heater channels at the same time. I had to replace both and there was a lot of malletizing that went into making the repair pieces play nicely together. if the firewall was already welded in the same spot weld line as stock it would have been super frustrating to get the new channels in due to annoying things like geometry...

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip man! I did replace the firewall once already, but it's messed up so I'll be re doing it. I'll make sure to fit them at the same time so it doesn't get messed up.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Just got the new firewall!

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Front apron repair almost done!

I've ground it and primed. I just have to fill some pinholes and then just need to put some Rage filler over it and I'll be golden.

I'd get a new apron..that rust will be back.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I have one just in case.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

If you havent painted it yet, you can start by cleaning the raw metal with a solvent (non-petroleum based, like simple green or ammonia/h2o) and then treating it with something similar to POR-15's "metal prep" which is a liquid solution that converts iron oxide into (if i remember correctly) zinc phosphate. This works as a base primer. You can then put down a high-build primer coat and paint over it. I did this on some parts back on my last restoration (over 10 yrs ago) and the results were phenomenal - no rust whatsoever to date. (for what its worth I also did not garage or regularly care for the paint after that resto either, new york winters can be harsh.)
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip REDKAFER. I currently have it painted with Rustoleum so it doesn't rust out as I finish up the other metal before I start going over all the replacement pieces with paint.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282787698519

These were a huge help in all I've done on these VWs and the price is a lot better than the early days!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Yup I've seen those EA812. I actually have the floor pan one.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Hi Rob and Happy New Year! Our mutual old VW friend Brent from Enfield (EA812) just forwarded me the link to this thread! I am super-impressed already, even on a super-quick skim of the pages! Keep up the great work! All the best!
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Thanks Steve!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 25

Jump to: