Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Moving the hinges up will change the front gap? The weird thing is that the back gap is pretty spot on. I’ve tried loosening the top and shimming it but nothing changes. If I stuff a rag in between the door and a pillar it looks good, but taking it out puts it back right against the pillar.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

moving both hinges straight up moves the striker down in relationship to them. Currently when you close the door, the striker is pushing the back of the door upwards which twists the hinges (rather the metal around the hinges) and closes the gap at the top. If these align correctly, closing the door will just capture the striker and not lift the door at all.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Yeah I'm just gonna leave them covered. I plan on priming the car Thursday. I need a little help with this though, how do I adjust the front door gap? It gets really tight toward the top and I wanna fix this if I can. Unless this is because the loose hinge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Support the door, remove the bolts holding the upper hinge to the body, make one or two shims out of some scrap sheet metal to place between the hinge & the body, install them & check fitment. Inserting shims on the upper hinge will make the top rear edge of the door move down & rearward, so make sure that you watch this gap.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Installing shims on the top hinge will only create more twisting force on the door when you close it. Try the hinges first. If it doesnt work, no problem: I have acquired a rather fond taste for crow anyhow.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

With two paint sticks shoved in the top it closes perfect.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Then you can either shim it or open the door slightly, get a block of wood & place it on the front edge of the hinge and strike the wood with a BFH towards the rear of the car.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Then you can either shim it or open the door slightly, get a block of wood & place it on the front edge of the hinge and strike the wood with a BFH towards the rear of the car.
Probably end up using the hammer, but how would I shim it?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Probably end up using the hammer, but how would I shim it?

TDCTDI wrote:

Support the door, remove the bolts holding the upper hinge to the body, make one or two shims out of some scrap sheet metal to place between the hinge & the body, install them & check fitment. Inserting shims on the upper hinge will make the top rear edge of the door move down & rearward, so make sure that you watch this gap.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

5 pieces of 22 gauge

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

Ahh I had to do this same kind of thing on my 66. Seems that during it's life in Maine forrest land imitating The Dukes of Hazzard General Lee the doors probably hit trees when open backing up. The space at the A piller was so close the door actually hit.

Looks like you got it to work out!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Ahh I had to do this same kind of thing on my 66. Seems that during it's life in Maine forrest land imitating The Dukes of Hazzard General Lee the doors probably hit trees when open backing up. The space at the A piller was so close the door actually hit.

Looks like you got it to work out!

Yeah 5 pieces of steel and cut it off so you can hardly tell. I knocked them back a bit too. Now the door doesn't scrape, just a bit harder to lift up and close though from the loose hinge.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

You need to fix that loose door hinge before painting the car, you're likely to damage the paint trying to service the hinge.

You can also shim/adjust the lower hinge to bring the door back up at the striker, but you should repair the loose hinge first.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You need to fix that loose door hinge before painting the car, you're likely to damage the paint trying to service the hinge.

You can also shim/adjust the lower hinge to bring the door back up at the striker, but you should repair the loose hinge first.
Eh not worth it. This car isn’t perfect, it’s gonna be a driver. If any paint scratches at the hinge I’ll touch it up. Now does anyone know how to remove the washer fluid nozzle without breaking the ears off it? I’ll be priming the car tonight, so have to get all the little stuff done.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

You can squeeze the ears from inside the trunk compartment to remove the spray nozzle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Late thanks to EA812, I got it out unharmed. It's still not in primer, I keep finding spots that need a little filler. Hopefully within the week I'll have it all primed. I ordered the window and door seals along with a headliner so once it's painted I can get that stuff all put in. Bodywork on a car you know iis going to be black sucks Laughing The drivers fender needed work and I can feel the wave and I know it'll show when it's painted so I gotta work on that.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I need some help. I'm trying to get my clutch cable all set up, but whenever I hook the cable on and go to the back of the car to put the wingnut on, the cable falls off the pedal and I have to reset. I just spent an hour and a half trying to do this and I haven't been able to. Anyone know what's up with this?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Maybe try using a bread twist tie to hold it on.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I just always got the cable on, inserted the pedal assembly, & then pushed the pedal to the floor. It will stay there, retaining the cable in place & when I pull the cable to install it into the throwout arm, I keep tension on it until the wingnut is in place. You can also clamp the cable with a pair of vice grips once you pull the cable back to ensure that it doesn’t slip off the pedal while you’re fidgeting with the wing nut.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Yep, or a thin tie-wrap.

I found this in the gallery. Simple and effective, as well as accounting for any wear in the clutch hook inner bend due to cable end wear. Since you have welding experience and equipment at home, this could work for you. Just need to cleanly grind and file down the weld blob at the hook and bolt to a nicely rounded radius so that the left face of the cable end does not wear. There's plenty of room inside the tunnel to accomodate the length of the bolt.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I tried using wire to hold it on, maybe I wasn’t doing it right. I twisted it around the clutch cable then tried to wrap it around the hook. I can get the cable on and then put the pedal assembly back in the tunnel and bolted on, but when I tighten the wing nut, the pedal always comes back and hits the floor pan even if I pushed it all the way to the firewall to begin with.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 25

Jump to: