Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I recently acquired a 67 bug and I'm going to try and restore it back to stock. I would appreciate any tips on how to go about doing a restoration.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Get the books...Bently and Muir
Read all the rebuild threads ( learn from others mistakes )
Learn how to use the search function.

I like to make lists ; checking things off the list shows tangible progress

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Books. That's the one thing I don't have yet. I have to buy them soon. I have read most of the '67 rebuild threads and I am making list of all the parts needed and how much money it'll cost.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Keep good notes or pics of how things looked before you take them apart. Sometimes things look easy and the reaction is "I'll remember that" but it doesn't always work that way. Have fun, good luck.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

You will get a good start with the Muir book ( How to keep your Volkswagen alive ) and the samba search
Note ; Heard book available on amazon used .

looks like he bought an already disassembled VW

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Here's a good post on 67 only VWs
Was your car black originally? Black was the least produced color of 67s,

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...ght=school

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I've skimmed through that thread before and I didn't realize how much was actually one year only on the 67s. Also, my bug is an original black with red but was painted in the late 70s or early 80s. If I could I'd try to strip the white paint and make it an original paint car, but don't know if it's possible. It's cool knowing it's the rarest color.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:

Last edited by 67ctbug on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Just a quick question. When did the mid year changes for things like the seat back releases happen?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Anybody have an answer please.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

You might have better luck on 67 only stuff on the " 67 Beetle " web site .

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Oh ok I'll check there. Thanks
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Black paint with Red interior? Very nice!
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Keep a diary of your restoration. In the diary, illustrate anything you have taken apart, and note the colors, hardware sizes, etc... If you can draw what you have done you'll be familiar with how it goes back.

Keep a calendar, and sketch out rough timelines for getting stages of the project completed. Edit that calendar as you fall behind, or if you make a sudden leap forward.

Double your estimate for parts. Sorry, but that is likely the reality.

Never stack household objects on the car. To me, that image (incomplete project car accumulating boxes, bags of trash, kids toys, etc...) was the textbook signal of a failed/stalled car project. When I got discouraged, or had to put the project on hold (for vacations, work, etc...) I thought about that image, and it kept me on track.

Take lots of pictures. You'll want them later, and you can use them to better describe your questions.

Create your vision for the car now, and don't waiver from it during the project; choose colors, decide on any upgrades or special items, and decide how strict you'll be about only using factory/NOS parts, and where you might need to compromise on that vision.

Figure out what you can and can't do: to complete the car, you may need to weld, grind, sand, paint, bump metal, fabricate sheet metal parts out of mild steel. You may need parts pressed or machined. You'll need a source for chemicals, finishes, special tools. You'll need to install glass, interior components, run wiring and troubleshoot electrical issues. If you can't do something, you'll want to know that ahead of time, because you'll spend more money on someone else's labor.

Always ask first if you are unsure. That is the beauty of thesamba, and it's well worth the membership dues Wink
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Just a quick question. When did the mid year changes for things like the seat back releases happen?

The mid year changes are called "progressive refinements" there is a resource here for progressive refinements that goes by the same name; search and you'll find it.

Also, search query the keywords for what you are looking for. For instance, go to the 58-67 forum, and enter "67", "seat back", and/or "67 seat release".

Manipulate the search words and pretty quickly you'll get YEARS of in depth discussion about what you are looking for.

Same goes for questions about anything in any other forums. Chances are your questions have already been answered a dozen times on here.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I would of loved to have notes on how it came apart, but the previous owner already did that with no notes. I do have the plan of going back stock for everything including the l41 black( if anyone has an idea of how to take that white paint off and leave the black please tell me). Most of my restoration parts will be Wolfsburg west probably too except for fenders. And trust me they'll be tons of questions for the people of The Samba. Also panicman I'll be sure to go searching now.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I purchased a stripped out bug too ! I only got the fenders and the glass ...
It's not that big a deal to get it all back together .
I found the Wolfsburg West catalog " exploded " diagrams were great help ...
I read ALL the build threads during the commercial breaks watching TV with a laptop next to me .
It IS going to cost more than you planned and it IS probably going to take longer too .
My one year build is now in it's 29th month Shocked
" one step at a time " Wink

Last edited by grandpa pete on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:26 am; edited 9 times in total
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

To remove paint ;
graffiti remover and or razor blades in the hot sun ;
Look in the " body and paint " forum

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Looks like you have a big project too. I might just have to try the paint remover sometime when it gets warmer here. Oh and I found an answer to my seat release question, they started moving them at chassis #117425908 so mine will have them on the side.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Body and Paint has a sticky thread DEVOTED to tried and true (and tried and failed) methods of removing subsequent layers of paint to expose the original finish, and leave that original finish intact. Here is a link: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072

Notice: that thread has 44 pages, so grab a beer (or coke, or whatever) and buckle in. The first page has a logo bus that will grab you.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Last month I bought new quarter panel patches for the back from Wolfsbürg West because they were for US 65 and up. Well when I got them the look different so will they work right?

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: