Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
So my rear cross braces are welded like 1/4" back farther than they need to be.... can i just bore out the bolt holes in the body to make it work?

Are you talking about the bolt holes that go into the cast iron chassis under the seat? I did some research on those for the 67 and from what i gather they were not used on the sedan, only the convertible. That being said, mine lined up so i used them anyway, with the rubber blocks used on the rear exterior body mount.

If youre talking about the bolts that go into the pan using the rectangular washers, i had to do something similar but i only had to bore out about 1/8". I see no problem structurally if you bore these out as the forces here should be low; though if you remove lots of metal it would be a good idea to plug-weld the parts of the hole you arent using.
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Oh wait, i think i just realized you might be talking about the cross braces that weld to tbe pans and tunnel, not the cross braces that weld to tbe heater channels and rear parcel shelf. In that case, i dont know for certain if theres another geometry that will be affected by its 1/4" offset, but i cant think of any at the moment. Measure em, think about it, measure again, eat a snack, measure again, do some math, and if your comfy with it i say bore em out.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

These holes....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Do you think that by boring those holes out youll still have enough room to get a socket on the bolt? might be tight...

In any case I expect you'll be fine boring those a little bit as long as you keep the edges round and don't go doubling the size of the hole. Remember, sharp angles lead to stress concentrations which lead to rips - that's as true for sheet metal as it is for paper - so dont go using tin snips or anything that doesnt result in a smooth corner.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I think I'll be good, I'll work on that this weekend.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Getting there!

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

FWIW, align the patch panel over & overlapping the panel it's to be joined to, & then use a small reciprocating saw with a fine tooth metal blade to cut through BOTH panels. This will ensure a tight, even seam to weld to.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Put some copper behind some of the gaps and hit it with the welder. It should fill some of that and not stick to the copper. Careful with the heat settings tho it can burn bigger holes in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Btw them welds look really good!

Last edited by EA812 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys! TDCTDI, I marked on the original panel where i wanted to cut and then put tape over it and transferred the lines to the new panel like that. EA812, I don't think I can get any copper behind there. It's all enclosed.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

However, with the way I described it, if the blade strays, it makes the same cut through both panels leaving a perfect gap the entire length.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Yeah, I like your way. How would I keep the two panels in the same spot? And can I trim the panel so that it fits to the original one better?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Clamp them in place, or, if you align them exactly where you want them, tack them together. In a place where they cannot be clamped, small self-tapping sheet metal screws can be used & then you can weld up the hole afterwards.

You can also get these little guys to clamp & align the panels as you weld.
https://m.harborfreight.com/butt-welding-clamps-8-pc-60545.html

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I'm really impressed by your persistence. You know, I was one of the ones suggesting you give up on this car and I find myself glad you're sticking with it. You're barely a couple of years older than my youngest kids and they wouldn't even begin to be able to accomplish what you are. Stick with it.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

REDKAFER wrote:
Do you think that by boring those holes out youll still have enough room to get a socket on the bolt? might be tight...

If not, get some socket head bolts (allen head).

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Clamp them in place, or, if you align them exactly where you want them, tack them together. In a place where they cannot be clamped, small self-tapping sheet metal screws can be used & then you can weld up the hole afterwards.

You can also get these little guys to clamp & align the panels as you weld.
https://m.harborfreight.com/butt-welding-clamps-8-pc-60545.html

Smart, I’ll do that for my next panel like this.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I'm really impressed by your persistence. You know, I was one of the ones suggesting you give up on this car and I find myself glad you're sticking with it. You're barely a couple of years older than my youngest kids and they wouldn't even begin to be able to accomplish what you are. Stick with it.
Thanks man! I'm trying to get all of the major metal done so I can register it just in time for the first show of the year. If not then, then by the Bug-A-Fair. After this, I have the wheelhouses in the back, the heater channels, and the front firewall. I've been making videos for it too. I kind of like it. I can look back in the future on how I'm doing things now and see how I've improved and stuff.

Link

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Getting there!

Another tip, cut before or after a body line, seam, or crease. In this case, a fender will cover most of it but it will be hard to mask a repair when you cross over or seam at a body line.

flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Looking great! Keep at it

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

You need a 4.5" angle grinder cutter dude. You'll be going thru Dremel wheels pretty quickly doing it that way
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 25

Jump to: