Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Dont forget your taillight assemblies, glovebox door, ash tray, front turn signals, speaker grills, radio block plate (maybe?), and all that other good stuff i forgot about the first 3 times!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Headliner is unwrinkling on the roof, foam is being glued in, dash is going together, tires are being ordered, and the seats are getting done... and it looks like there will be no shows to show it off at Sad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Came out nice, that bc/cc paint?
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Headliner is unwrinkling on the roof, foam is being glued in, dash is going together, tires are being ordered, and the seats are getting done... and it looks like there will be no shows to show it off at Sad
[img]/2053635.jpg[/img]

Frog Rock July 18 12:00 PM

Bring it😁
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
Came out nice, that bc/cc paint?
Thanks, Kirker Single Stage. I don't think I can get a plate that quick Brent Laughing Minimum 4 week lead time at DMV. If it's ready by then, I'll try to borrow a dealer plate from work LOL.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Major progress. Got the sound deadener in. Just using quick roof. Headliner is 100% done. Not perfect but pretty good for my first time I think. All of the window seals are in. Getting ready to order up the rear carpet padding and get a new windshield as my old OG one broke while moving Evil or Very Mad . I’m shooting for the Westport show if it happens. I plan to be reg’d by the end of the month. I have a single seat done and all the electrics that are necessary are hooked up, that’s all I need to drive lol. Still debating on my vent wings as they have some dents and I’m not sure if they’ll bother me. I’ll probably just use them, it’s a driver after all. Heidenau bias plys came, they look great and were a great deal. I think I’m gonna need a couple more rims as I only have 4 and one is bent. Here’s a few photos. I’ll have more tomorrow after work.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the big update!

Quote:
Still debating on my vent wings as they have some dents and I’m not sure if they’ll bother me. I’ll probably just use them, it’s a driver after all.
Are the dents on the inward-facing surface so that "you" are the primary person seeing them? And only on one of the vent windows?

I wonder if you can fill the dents using a small amount of body filler, self-etching primer, filler primer, wet-sand with 320; then painting the frame with a few light coats of chrome spray paint? It would give you a more satiny chrome finish than shiny chrome, but if you paint the entire wing frame, at least it would be uniform.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Thanks for the big update!

Quote:
Still debating on my vent wings as they have some dents and I’m not sure if they’ll bother me. I’ll probably just use them, it’s a driver after all.
Are the dents on the inward-facing surface so that "you" are the primary person seeing them? And only on one of the vent windows?

I wonder if you can fill the dents using a small amount of body filler, self-etching primer, filler primer, wet-sand with 320; then painting the frame with a few light coats of chrome spray paint? It would give you a more satiny chrome finish than shiny chrome, but if you paint the entire wing frame, at least it would be uniform.
Yeah the dents are on the inside. They really aren't that bad and I can almost guarantee no passenger would notice, but I do Laughing I've polished out the aluminum on the inside and it looks good, still more work on the outside. I'm thinking of sanding it with a high grit and then either clear coating or waxing it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Vent windows have been sanded and polished, they look great IMO. Just got the passenger outer scraper in, a bit of a pain, but not too hard. Door should be going together this week. I could put the rear fenders on but I don't have the heat tubes... it is August I could leave them off, but then I'll have to buy some and put them on.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Any ideas for this? Seems a piece of the old cable is in the way or something... I've tried 3/16 brake line and hammering on it and same with a headliner bow. No movement. Maybe the inside tube is bent?

Link

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Stuff is getting done!

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Fine job, what a journey. Where’s the engine?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Fine job, what a journey. Where’s the engine?
Thanks Zundfolge, it’s in the car. 1600 SP I believe, it was a replacement case put in about 10 years ago. Runs pretty good, but I’ve yet to ever have it on an actual road.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Rear Carpet is in.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

(Headliner) Stretch marks are for OLD people! I think you're still a teen! Smile

Carpet looks nice. Appears to have factory-looking cloth bound edges instead of the cheapo and prevalent looped sewn ones.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Looks great!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'm not the best upholsterer, but I try. I'll probably replace the headliner sometime anyway.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

One and a half hours... one and a half hours to remove ONE hinge pin using an air hammer. It had been soaking for multiple days in PB/ Freeze Off. Next time, it's getting done before paint.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Great project. The 1967 are my favorite year. It looks awesome in black I’d love to paint my 73 black but in my state you have to pay a bunch of extra fees to change the color on the registration so I don’t want to do that so it’s staying yellow lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Updates?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 25

Jump to: