Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

so soon?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
It's primer dust/overspray accumulating on the lower, downwind bars. You mean metal will rust in 98% humidity Shocked

"9 point 8 percent"???? Smile

That's what typical moisture is here. But things still rust eventually. I'm sure you've all seen pics of rusty old cars at old abandoned mines and ghost towns in the desert.

But that primer on your frame sure looks like what it's there to prevent.

I've been painting a similar blue color on the bumpers of my Baja Bug. I was horrified to notice the other day that there are rock dings, scratches, sand blasting, trailer tie down rub spots and other marks on my bumpers. My Rustoleum is compromised and wearing out before I thought it should. Not real bad, just not up to my standards.

Then I visualized painting those bumpers outside the workshop at my old place down the street. Seems so recent! Then while I was sanding the front bumper, I remembered that we sold that place in '98, 19 years ago. And I painted those bumpers after I built them in '97. That's 20 years ago! So I suppose the condition of the bumpers isn't so bad considering.

For my purposes, I prefer to NOT use primer as I find that gloss paint makes a hard shell over soft primer. So when little bits of rock hit that hard shell, it's like hitting an egg. The soft inner material gives way and lets the hard shell crack. Surface paint applied direct to the steel is very strong to impacts and I find it more resistant to such blasting applied that way.

For damp environments like Missouri...the primer may still be needed though.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

The gates I work on will start bleeding rust within a month if they don't get a cuople coats of primer first. The owners of multi-million dollar homes are funny like that. We have had the best luck with the rustoleum rusty metal primer.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
The gates I work on will start bleeding rust within a month if they don't get a cuople coats of primer first. The owners of multi-million dollar homes are funny like that. We have had the best luck with the rustoleum rusty metal primer.

Rust converting primer, then paint. Reese on my truck still gets painted every 3 years...98% humidity + winter salt is no joke!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Cleaned out 2 lowes, a walmart, and a tractor supply in the last week gathering spray bombs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

So I'm thinking you're using my paint. Rustoleum Sail Blue. I used that for my roll bar and bumpers in my '65 Baja in 1974. None of the pics I have show the blue worth a damn, but old shots show it on my '58 back in the 70s.

I still use it for all the tube structure of my '58 Baja. And in fact have the rear bumper just re-sprayed hanging up curing as I write this. Some a#*hole cat rubbed against it and I'll have to sand and touch it up when it's cured.

This is 8 years ago, but the same paint now:

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Sail blue it is. Wally world was the cheapest.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Looks good, when does assembly start?

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Maybe by the end of the month. First coat on the top, missed a lot. 48 hours between coats. Still need to weld on front beam, shock mounts/bump stops on rear arms, sand, clean, paint, polish, redo some wiring,.....
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

2nd coat after 48 hours or before 1 hour. It's a B to sand for quite awhile until it fully cures. In spite of the Hot Rodder guys claiming rolling on a coat each day and sanding it between coats. I'm not too sure WHAT Rustoleum they use. Rolling Eyes Krylon brand maybe?
SoCalBajas Member
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
2nd coat after 48 hours or before 1 hour. It's a B to sand for quite awhile until it fully cures. In spite of the Hot Rodder guys claiming rolling on a coat each day and sanding it between coats. I'm not too sure WHAT Rustoleum they use. Rolling Eyes Krylon brand maybe?

Never used anything but House of Kolor when I painted my hot rods. Never rolled it either. Even the frame paint was sprayed, using cheap harbor freight "single use" guns.
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:

I still use it for all the tube structure of my '58 Baja. And in fact have the rear bumper just re-sprayed hanging up curing as I write this. Some a#*hole cat rubbed against it and I'll have to sand and touch it up when it's cured.

how'd you pain the cage while it was in the car. IM assuming it was just rattle canned hows it holding up?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

2 bottom coats and 3 top coats, 31 cans later.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

That chassis is so bright it glows onto your floor! Razz I'm looking forward to seeing this come back together cbeck.

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

The shiny paint shows all the ugly, it turned into a 10 footer. Need just enough shiny stuff to draw attention away from the high quality paint job. My 27mm long torsion bars should arrive this week. Also picked up some adj spring plates that I need to notch and new spring plate retainers. Tried to get og, but all he had was the chrome ones.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

bikesndbugs wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

how'd you paint the cage while it was in the car. I'm assuming it was just rattle canned hows it holding up?

Lots of masking work. Cage 1st. I painted it with a Harbor Freight siphon spray gun and Rustoleum brand paint from quart size cans. I have a touch-up gun as well as a bigger gun. Good for getting into tight spots. I thin it 1:1 with mineral spirits. Touch-up is done with rattle cans. I like the results with the sprayer better. The rattle cans could use a little thinner. From the sprayer is far less likely to run. Comes out thinner on the surface. Dries faster. Can be sanded sooner. It "flows" better as it dries . Looks better after cured.
SoCalBajas Member
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Reinforced the lower droop stops with a 1/2 bolt sticking thu the backside about 1/2 " and smoothed the outside.

And still painting(or more like waiting for paint to dry). Doing some plumbing and starting wiring while waiting.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

I didn't notice any of the dark blue accents until now. Can't wait to see it moving again!

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

That's because the paint is only 48 hours old.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

2 steps back, 4 trailing arms forward. I must have missed this during disassembly. The upper arms must have been preloaded when they came out because the droop stops were contacting the arm before the arms would touch the bars.

Figured the easy way out was to pull out the sawzall.

I did manage to get the first scratch out of the way. A trick from my garage door days.

chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:

Just my .02... I used those urethane bump stops(empi shit) and they blew apart real quick. they could not handle the impact. I'm now metal to metal in the front...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 17

Jump to: