Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

so soon?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

kinda finished. Put about 15 miles on it today. Drama free except for the skid plate bolts I forgot to tighten. Still need to bleed the brakes some more. Should go over every nut and bolt before next weekend.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

looks so cool! how was the ride, you have the HD springs up front right?

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

I believe they are the heavy ones, they don't sell the stage 1 kits anymore for me to reference. Need to play with front shock pressure, a little stiff. Operating pressure is 180 to250 psi, and are supposed to come charged @250. Just installing shocks raised front another 1.5". Probably should have went with the 28mm bars in the back, the long 27's are still a little soft.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

I'm amused at how so many on this forum with street driven buggies and such fuss so much about stock torsions Red Bug being too hard. And you have issues with 27s being too soft...

I recommend balancing the front and rear before changing the torsion bars. A too stiff front will transfer motion to the back and vice versa.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

I am hoping to even them out with playing with the pressures. Some of the mud truck guys atound here have been known to play with oil types in thier shocks. Think I should research that a little further first. Baby steps now.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Talk to Ed (no1clyde) on here and STF about tuning your shocks. He knows lots about it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. Valves were still at a perfect loose zero. Found a link pin that needed a little snug. The rest of the suspension parts were still tight. Must have missed tightening the screws in the center roof panel, blew off right after we turned off a lettered state highway. Easy recovery, still had painted bolts and nuts to reattach. Lost two sheet metal screws, the same ones on each side. Will need to be creative to replace.

Got 2 side panels and a bulk head cut and painted. Got about 2 hundred miles on it so far. My current goal is to make the river road buggy ride on the 23rd. Fenix, you in?

Looking at the pics, I just found one of the sheet metal screws.
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Looking good.

First thing I did when the power came on several days after the storm was check this thread.

LOL
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Third wrote:
Looking good.

First thing I did when the power came on several days after the storm was check this thread.

LOL

Have you started building pontoons for that buggy yet? Cool
SoCalBajas Member
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

How's that bulkhead do cutting wind?

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Not much. More for protection/peace of mind.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

If you were to add side panels and a hood, that front bulkhead is important to close off the front.
SoCalBajas Member
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Last 2 side panels in.

Abused drain plug temp sender. replaced with something else I had laying around.

River road buggy club fall run next saturday. Calling for 97*, a little warm for this time of year. Made contact with a club member, sounds like a good time. Will be bringing my camera.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Woooah you really ramped it up! Ya beat me. Smile I could tell a while ago you would. Tell me how the buggy ride goes! Hopefully Fenix goes this year and then we can all three go next year.
That has got to be super satisfying after all that headache with the crash and such. looks great. Very Happy

Interesting what you say about your 7100 rears being harsh, I have the exact same shocks with the same valving but the reservoir ones. Maybe I will need to do a little tuning too, as the rear of your car is quite a bit heavier on top of it all.

As for the brakes: I would bet a 2PSI residual pressure valve on the outlet of your brake master cylinder along with a pressure bleeding would make that pedal feel young and spry again. Jim has them at Archway. I have a pressure bleeder top for the CNC master cylinders you have, and I'm about 8 miles from your house. Smile Just sayin.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

jimmyhoffa wrote:
Woooah you really ramped it up! Ya beat me. Smile I could tell a while ago you would. Tell me how the buggy ride goes! Hopefully Fenix goes this year and then we can all three go next year.
That has got to be super satisfying after all that headache with the crash and such. looks great. Very Happy

Interesting what you say about your 7100 rears being harsh, I have the exact same shocks with the same valving but the reservoir ones. Maybe I will need to do a little tuning too, as the rear of your car is quite a bit heavier on top of it all.

As for the brakes: I would bet a 2PSI residual pressure valve on the outlet of your brake master cylinder along with a pressure bleeding would make that pedal feel young and spry again. Jim has them at Archway. I have a pressure bleeder top for the CNC master cylinders you have, and I'm about 8 miles from your house. Smile Just sayin.

Yeah...Not been able to touch mine since I posted the Video of it moving under its own power. Sorry I will miss the run, that was my self imposed Deadline! First one I have missed in 20 yrs of having them.

I second the 2lb valve. Made a world of difference on mine and I'm just using the 22mm EMPI Buggy master. Wont lock up the rears yet, but the pedal is firm.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Front stiff, rear soft. Put a 2# valve on the rear brakes.
Had a blast! Bunch of nice folk. Ran across 3 buggy's from jeffco. Unofficial count of 54 buggys. Will put most pics in the fiberglass forum or check my gallery. Yes, that was a real boat.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Looks like a blast, thanks for sharing!

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

The totally useless last item as done by my daughter. On the bulkhead in front of passengers feet.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Is that your portrait? If you take a breath, maybe you won't be so blue...

Looks cool!

Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
Is that your portrait? If you take a breath, maybe you won't be so blue...

Looks cool!

Now that's just FUNNY! I 'bout snorted coffee!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: