Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Wow.. looks like it was an original sliding sunroof car too..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Yup, everything on this is matching early 1960 from the engine, trans, pan, etc. Only thing that is "custom" is the door handles, some mods done on the inside dash which I'm trying to clean up (fill in holes that were drilled) and obviously the 1950's chevy bed/back vw bus window.

I checked the serial numbers
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

mas00 wrote:
Only thing that is "custom"

Laughing
Um...Anxious..you do realize the whole thing is kustom ....dont you Laughing .

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
mas00 wrote:

Laughing

I agree, definitely a kustom truck. The top is very well thought out as is the rest of the body. I don't think those Sprint Stars were by accident either.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
mas00 wrote:

Laughing

Laughing yea, but I'm talking more about what is left from the OG car itself. It's a
early 1960. The pan, body, engine, everything matches. But yes I do know it is a "custom bug". Gonna be the best damn bugtruck this side of the Mississippi haha Cool
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Update us!😀
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

August 22 2019 Update:

It's been a long 2 1/2 weeks. Waiting for parts to be shipped, going back and forth between things. But.. the "black out" has started Cool I know most of the OG folks love the chrome, but this car will have none. I'm going the all blacked out route and so far my old uncle digs it! Hard to take photos now bec I dropped my phone and I'm using an old one which the camera doesn't work good.

1. Got the chassis together, took a while to install the gas and brake pedals because I didn't have some parts and also just trying to see the correct installation method. Purchased all the small parts I was missing, pedal springs, bolts, new steering dampener, brake reservoir then hooked up the master cylinder and reservoir to bleed the brakes. Everything went well until we thought the front driver cylinder was leaking, but it turns out it was the little screw on valve. But things went well and bled the brakes, filled the transmission with fluid.

2. Purchased a EMPI e-brake kit but the rod and spring was too short. So not sure if I have the wrong housing unit or what, but that is pretty much the last thing left. I either will return the kit or need to purchase a different/shorter e metal brake lever. I will install the shifter when I put the body back on later.

3. Had a foul up with my newly painted rims Rolling Eyes I wanted to add some extra protection on the inside so I went and purchased a can of rustoleum clear/hardener coat and man it had a bad reaction with the paint I used (which was a shiny black rustomelum) and it formed like these hard cracks on the back of my rims. Luckily I only did it to 2 and the outer edge of a 3rd before I noticed so I had to spend a couple more days wet sanding them. I didn't bother with them anymore and just touched them up with a rattle can. I sprayed a coat of SEM clear guard to give them some extra protection.
But am I happy with how the look. The og empi caps I have 2 are good 2 were rusted/dented. Gotta purchase 2 and then I will paint them all black.

Also found out 1 of the tires is bad Sad cracks on the side but I will worry about it later bec it still holds air. They are brand new tires too.

4. Stripped the steering wheel, went in with my dremel tool, purchased some PC 11 and microballons to fill in the cracks but haven't gotten around to that part yet. Will probably start next week moving back and forth between my hood.

5. Working on the hood which is turning out to be a head ache. Turns out that it is in really bad shape. The brace made underneath means they really pounded some dents on the top. The whole hood was covered in a quarter inch of bondo. It is rusted pretty bad, and I contemplated getting a donor hood, but then that would require the same if not more effort to chop it up, weld, etc. So I'm going to work on saving this one. Might have to use more bondo/fiber glass when it is all said and done.

I feel like I'm getting somewhere with the chassis pretty much finished after I put the wheels on. We wrapped it up with a thick plastic and I covered up the transmission and it is sitting with 4 tarps over everything.

Wish I had a garage/shop to work in, especially do this body work and paint. I've been calling around paint shops and they either don't want to touch this project, or starting price was waaay to high $20,000 even though I told them body work isn't much just needs to blast and paint because I'm doing most of it. I found someone who paints dragsters and old hot rods, but he has yet to give me a quote.

Keep on keeping on. Until next update. I'm taking off the whole month of September be out of the country so that will be a set back but hopefully a good one.

PS Got a unexpected visit from some nice helpers Laughing They scared the crap outta me first but we gave them some water. They randomly wandered onto my uncles property and galloped by while we were bleeding the brakes. Stayed for about 30 minutes then they just up and left!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Excellent. Black looks great. Wheels look great.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
Excellent. Black looks great. Wheels look great.

thanks, on a side note I didn't know the sprint stars were made in western Germany. Mine are stamped, which I assume means they were made during the cold war.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Update August 29 2019

This week got to finish the hood and put some rattle can primer on it. Previous owner must've used about 3 gallons of bondo on the whole damn car, there was a ton on the hood. Also got to take off some of the bondo on the front lower end and front wheel well by using a heat gun.

I started to use a grinder on the hood and it wasn't doing the job for the rust, but then remembered we had a make shift media blaster with a bucket and media gun so I used diamond grit media we had left (1 1/2 bags)which took a very long time but it did the job. The gun got clogged a bunch so I'm looking for a gun that can handle 30-60 grit diamond media anyone?? The compressor was running a steady 100psi so that wasn't the issue.

Might try to use it on the other parts of the shell.

Also got to work on the steering wheel a bit. Purchased some PC-11 epoxy and some micro-balloons. Gonna take a lot of tedious file sanding, which I will do this upcoming week but I already starting on the outer ring and it's going very well.

Also going to pop open the speedometer because I took a quick look and I noticed the gels were missing. Sad

Not many photos anymore because my phone is trash but took this "selfie" of the hood when I took off all the bondo and paint.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

👍👍👍👍👍 I like the metal edge on front.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

It's already been a year? Where does the time go!

Well I'm about 2 weeks away from finishing the body/paint and dropping it back onto the chassis and getting ready to work!

I've pulled and rebuilt a lot of things, steering wheel/column, windshield wiper motor, speedo, MC, new break lines, sunroof mechanism, windows, and got the car blasted. I tried to replace the heater channel cables, which turn out to be more of a pain, which I thought mine weren't working but they are so I decided just to keep them and hold on to the ones I got. I ended up breaking the knob in the process so had to get a new one doh! Since I pulled the windows, I'm trying to get them tinted right now as well.

I got the VW media blasted and the guy kinda did a half ass job. The doors needed some extra love as he spent too much time on them and was slightly felt in the metal. That was a long day as the original guy I had cancelled and I had everything already to go and the shell hoisted up in a tree. I ended up getting it done but had to transport it on a trailer. Everything worked out in the end. I need some more love after tho, old hardened bondo needed grinding off, small holes welded up and grinded down, old rubber seal, etc. So had to do more body work after the blast.

I know OG's frown on tinted window VW's but like I said, I'm blacking this baby out, NO CHROME! It's been quite the journey so far. Next is the wiring/electrical, gas tank, and then interior. Still I feel a such a looong way to go.

Since I don't know how to sew, I've been looking for custom work here in San Antonio. My Uncle's friend Sid Bonia? used to do everyones car back in the day, but he is gone and his son doesn't work anymore either. If I knew how to sew leather I would give it a shot, but not my cup of tea.

The chassis is about finished, as we ended up lifting it from the bucket of a tractor while I undercoated it with WUTH Stoneguard and man it turned out perfect! That stuff was expensive, but well worth it. I'm ending up spraying the wheel wells, inside the truck bed, underneath the shell and inside the hood with it, which I will then spray over with paint.

Anyways.. still here, still cranking away. Timeline, hopefully by the end of the year I will have everything done BUT the interior and probably the tank.
When I tried to restore mine, it ended up peeling and I'm having a hard time finding a OG 60's one within a reasonable price range.

I also ended up cracking the front windshield moving things around which was OG german, so I need to get a new one and trying to find a german or brazilian one, which is hard too.

Anyways hope yall enjoy the photos. Still here, still plugging away.

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

you've been busy! Nice job! It looks like your back cab wall is made from an early bus hatch.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Yup, it's a 63 rear door bus window
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

This truck is very cool. I dig thos rims big time. Very good work so far. Making Papa proud.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Awesome project. Can't wait to see it back together.
David23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

this was such a cool project read.....now I'm jonesin for more ! What happened.....how did it turn out ? I think a bug eye nose piece would do it some justice...I love it !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

David23 wrote:
this was such a cool project read.....now I'm jonesin for more ! What happened.....how did it turn out ? I think a bug eye nose piece would do it some justice...I love it !!

It has been quite a while. Long story short my uncle who was helping me passed away so I wasn't able to even look at this car for a couple months.

I also got a new job where I have to travel and moved. I also got screwed from the person painting the vehicle. He didn't finish as he had been put in the hospital to heart problems so I took it from his shop and his associate agreed to take on and finish it but he got kicked out of his shop so I spent nearly almost a full year looking for someone to finish painting it.

It was quite hard as a lot of work had been done, no one wanted to deal with another persons work or paint a classic custom car without charging me 15K.

Long story short I found someone to take on this project so ideally It will be finished painting end of year or during spring of next year then I will put her back together. I just took it to his shop about 2 weeks ago.

It's been a long hard road, but yes I am committed as ever to get this on the road. It's taking waay longer than I thought but goal is end of next year I'll have her done. Fingers crossed all goes well.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

mas00 wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Yup, everything on this is matching early 1960 from the engine, trans, pan, etc. Only thing that is "custom" is the door handles, some mods done on the inside dash which I'm trying to clean up (fill in holes that were drilled) and obviously the 1950's chevy bed/back vw bus window.

I checked the serial numbers

The Bug door handle changed to the push button type for the 1960 model year. The change is listed as being made on August 6, 1959 and chassis number 2528668. My first car was a 1960 Bug, but not nearly so unique as yours.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: