Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'68 Westy with 2175cc on the dyno
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: '68 Westy with 2175cc on the dyno Reply with quote

We drove our bus from Durango down to Tucson for a family vacation to the Gem and Mineral show. Two years ago I located a dyno and took my bus there when I had a 2109 in it. Last May the crank broke on that engine and I had a 2175 built. So today I took my bus back to the dyno to see what this new 2175 had in it. This bus is mostly my DD except when it's super crappy out and the engine has 4800 miles on it. Here's the link to my road trip thread in the Bay Window forum: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7972552&highlight=#7972552

Engine Specs:
Autolina alumiumn bubble top case w/custom FF
CB 78.4mm crank, balanced
CB HBeam race rod 5.5"
Engle 110 cam
Engle lifters
CB 044 heads
Mahle 94mm B pistons
OG flywheel, balanced and faced
Cam gear US
Teflon wrist pin buttons
Main bearing set Silverline
Mahle rod bearings
Mahle HD cam bearings
Grant Rings
Bristol Fuel pump
All German tins, fan housing and stock heater boxes
009 distributor w/Petronix
Bosch 55amp alternator
OG crank pully
Dog house oil cooler
1.5 qt sump
30mm oil pump
External oil cooler W/T-stat and fan
Webber IDF 40 carbs
Bug pack header
EMPI Phat Boy muffler
Solid Rockers w/swivel feet
Stock valve covers
Chromoly Push rods
.040 shims
8.9:1 compression

Ending up at 75 HP and 107 FPT

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

He was able to lay the new graph over my the last one I did with my 2109. Some info on my 2109, just before I took it to Tucson that year I just installed idf40s and it took a few thousounds miles before I got the jetting correct.

Today's run is in solid and the earlier run is dotted

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Westy with 2175cc on the dyno Reply with quote

Awesome Rich, Cool Next swap meet you go to, find an old 034 dizzy Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Westy with 2175cc on the dyno Reply with quote

Those Mustang dyno´s have a life of their own. Impossible to compare to anything, exept your previus pull with the other engine on the same dyno. From that it looks like you picked up a good deal power.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Westy with 2175cc on the dyno Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Those Mustang dyno´s have a life of their own. Impossible to compare to anything, exept your previus pull with the other engine on the same dyno.

The operator called it the "heartbreaker." He said that he imputed the year, make and model of the vehicle and the dyno applies a drum break to simulate actual resistance. He also said that there was another type of dyno out there that would not measure actual engine weight and would produce 15-20% higher numbers. He felt the Mustang was the dyno that gave actual real world numbers.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Westy with 2175cc on the dyno Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Alstrup wrote:
Those Mustang dyno´s have a life of their own. Impossible to compare to anything, exept your previus pull with the other engine on the same dyno.

The operator called it the "heartbreaker." He said that he imputed the year, make and model of the vehicle and the dyno applies a drum break to simulate actual resistance. He also said that there was another type of dyno out there that would not measure actual engine weight and would produce 15-20% higher numbers. He felt the Mustang was the dyno that gave actual real world numbers.

I heard that one from every Mustang dyno owner I have met. The day that Mustang themselves reveal what formula they are calculating the power from will be a good day, because its not one of the obvius.
But like I wrote earlier, it is quite evident that your new engine makes good power compared to the old engine.

T
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Westy with 2175cc on the dyno Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
We drove our bus from Durango down to Tucson for a family vacation to the Gem and Mineral show. Two years ago I located a dyno and took my bus there when I had a 2109 in it. Last May the crank broke on that engine and I had a 2175 built. So today I took my bus back to the dyno to see what this new 2175 had in it. This bus is mostly my DD except when it's super crappy out and the engine has 4800 miles on it. Here's the link to my road trip thread in the Bay Window forum: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7972552&highlight=#7972552

Engine Specs:
Autolina alumiumn bubble top case w/custom FF
CB 78.4mm crank, balanced
CB HBeam race rod 5.5"
Engle 110 cam
Engle lifters
CB 044 heads
Mahle 94mm B pistons
OG flywheel, balanced and faced
Cam gear US
Teflon wrist pin buttons
Main bearing set Silverline
Mahle rod bearings
Mahle HD cam bearings
Grant Rings
Bristol Fuel pump
All German tins, fan housing and stock heater boxes
009 distributor w/Petronix
Bosch 55amp alternator
OG crank pully
Dog house oil cooler
1.5 qt sump
30mm oil pump
External oil cooler W/T-stat and fan
Webber IDF 40 carbs
Bug pack header
EMPI Phat Boy muffler
Solid Rockers w/swivel feet
Stock valve covers
Chromoly Push rods
.040 shims
8.9:1 compression

Ending up at 75 HP and 107 FPT

He was able to lay the new graph over my the last one I did with my 2109. Some info on my 2109, just before I took it to Tucson that year I just installed idf40s and it took a few thousounds miles before I got the jetting correct.

Today's run is in solid and the earlier run is dotted

Link

Nice Torque Curve, I suspect it's actually over a Hundred Horsepower! Which 044 heads did you use? What venturi size in those 40 IDF's?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Westy with 2175cc on the dyno Reply with quote

Dan, been like a month and I just saw this post. The engine on the dyno had regular ole super mag heads with bath tub chambers. I hate to say it but for some reason (mostly I’m dumb) I don’t remember the Vents on the carbs, they were new Spanish Weber’s from CB. I can tell you the rest though, Air cor 210, mains 120, idle 55, pump 50. Increasing the air cor and decreasing the main improved the mileage a lot.

That engine was disassembled because of a cold start knock, which ended up being the thrust face of the cam bearing. My current engine is very similar, but it has 044 CNC ported super mag heads with mini wedge combination chambers and a VS Sport exhaust. New engine is also 8.5:1. 20k on current build and it’s a blast, lots is toque for the mountains and produces excellent MPGs.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Westy with 2175cc on the dyno Reply with quote

Sounds good, That's a bit of bus driving. I'm the only one left still going here where I live. The guy in Bandon who just moved here does have a Bay with a 911 engine in it I see a few late bays on the coast still most driven through from Portland or Eugene. I ran into Marty today, He used to own 2nd street Auto in Bandon Oregon. A landmark to some of us. How about you! seeing any bus's in Durango?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: