Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scangauge not connecting to 1.9 TDI
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Scangauge not connecting to 1.9 TDI Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an ASV 1.9 TDI installed in my Vanagon (T3). I have a scangauge that simply will not connect to the ECU. Actually I have two, one much newer than the other and they both do not connect.

I have a VCDS (Vag-com) that connects perfectly well.

My used pins on the OBDII connector are 4, 7, 15 and 16

I have tried forcing KWP protocols with no success. Any idea on what may be going on?

Thanks,
Gregor
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Scangauge not connecting to 1.9 TDI Reply with quote

For the OBD port to the ALH engine in my 84 Vanagon, I used the following pins.

1. -Positive with ignition ON
4. -Ground
5. -Ground
6. -CAN data Hi Bus to T32a/27 in cluster
7. -Data link connector to T32/25 in the cluster (K-wire)
14. -CAN data Lo Bus to T32a/28 in cluster
16. -Always hot (12volts) from Fuse S12

I do realize your engine is the ASV and obviously the two are different.

Notice there are two hot pins, (1 and 16). I suspect that one of them provides power to the Scan Gauge (pin 16) for operational purposes and the other (pin 1) signals SG that systems are ON. Keep in mind, your VCDS is powered by your computer. (pure speculation and others will likely chime-in)

I have VCDS and Scan Gauge and they both work just fine with my set-up which includes the Cluster. Occasionally, I have to push one of the buttons on my SG to wake it up. But, that happens sometimes to the SG in my 03 Jetta TDI.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Scangauge not connecting to 1.9 TDI Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
For the OBD port to the ALH engine in my 84 Vanagon, I used the following pins.

1. -Positive with ignition ON
4. -Ground
5. -Ground
6. -CAN data Hi Bus to T32a/27 in cluster
7. -Data link connector to T32/25 in the cluster (K-wire)
14. -CAN data Lo Bus to T32a/28 in cluster
16. -Always hot (12volts) from Fuse S12

I do realize your engine is the ASV and obviously the two are different.

Notice there are two hot pins, (1 and 16). I suspect that one of them provides power to the Scan Gauge (pin 16) for operational purposes and the other (pin 1) signals SG that systems are ON. Keep in mind, your VCDS is powered by your computer. (pure speculation and others will likely chime-in)

I have VCDS and Scan Gauge and they both work just fine with my set-up which includes the Cluster. Occasionally, I have to push one of the buttons on my SG to wake it up. But, that happens sometimes to the SG in my 03 Jetta TDI.

Hmm, I do get power to the scangauge, but will try adding power to pin 1 and ground to pin 5. I have no can bus items, just the engine ecu, so I don't think that the can lines matter

Thanks.
Mexico 2022-2023
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Scangauge not connecting to 1.9 TDI Reply with quote

The Euro ASV does not support full OBD-II, although the plug is the same, the communications are not. Europe was not forced to full OBD until after my engine (2002)
Mexico 2022-2023
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Scangauge not connecting to 1.9 TDI Reply with quote

Edit: Just realized your are asking about a Scan Gauge, not VCDS software. So, the info below is of no help. I would attempt to connect VCDS to your ODB 2 port. You will need this access at some point. The Scan Gauge is handy, but not all the tool you’d need to actually diagnose a problem. I have a permanent Scan Gauge for monitoring the engine, but always carry my laptop the Ross Tech genuine dongle and VCDS software. The reason is if I have a problem, I’m the one that will need to diagnose it. I will leave the info below for someone in the future that might come across this. My bet is, VCDS won’t connect either.

This has worked once for me. VCDS uses label files for each ECU configuration. Part of the connection is the software looks at the ECU part number and then to the inventory of label files it has stored.

Find the label files folder and locate a file similar to your ECU and engine. Make a copy of the label file and give it the name of your ECU part number and save it with the other files. Then open the software and try to connect.

If this works, save another copy of the label file in my documents or the desktop. The reason is when VCDS updates it over writes all the label file folder.

Edit: I was thinking that my description was not 100% correct. I’d need to have my laptop running to give exact steps. The idea is generally correct. The label file might include the engine designation too. So, if your engine is similar to an ALH, find that label file copy it and rename it using your engine data and ECU number. This will make more sense when you find and open the label file folder. You likely need to edit the copy of the label file. You can open a file using Notepad. Edit the file and save the new file using the naming convention of the other files. It was a few years ago when I did this for another owner. Thanks for understanding.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: