Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

My first Thread and Post on The Samba.
My very first car when I was 17 was a Ex-German-Army Thing 181.
Since then I have owned:
- 1973 Orange US Model 181
- 1984 Mk 2 Golf 1.3 Manual
- 1980 Mk 1 Golf 1.1 Manual
- 1979 Mk 1 Golf Diesel Automatic
- 198* Audi 200E Turbo
- 1973 Ex-German-Army Bay Window Bus
- 1979 Super Beetle Convertible

This one is a 1971 German Built Super Beetle Convertible, it has the Volkswagen Badge on the trunk instead of the expected 1302, so I have read this is usually the Italian Model. It came to the US into California where It was registered, A Californian owner then brought it to Arizona when they moved and lost the title. I bought it from a guy who bought it from that guy.

It still has no title but Arizona is mostly good about getting a bonded title. It is totally solid, not any rust anywhere. Top is gone, padding is gone, door panels are missing. Other than that it is complete.

Paint is burned though by the CA/AZ sun in places and you can see the Primer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used some rot-weiss paste and you can see the color comes though nicely and even shines a bit.

Here you can see the Italian badge on the hood, Built in Germany but probably delivered to Italy. As there were lots of US Army in Italy that might explain it getting over to the US in one of their shipping crates.

Meh, some PO cut a radio hole, not original, will weld that up. Not sure the Steering wheel is OEM either ????

The Fenders have some bumps here and there will all be carefully pulled/pushed.

Roof has a good frame, but everything else needs to be bought, top, headliner, padding and some of the wood.

Soo ... will try to keep this place up to date and point out anything I learn. Very Happy
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Some of my wood is gone, the rear 3-piece was the cheap pressed chip stuff that has disintegrated, my side quarter ones are solid wood but have gone totally soft at the bottoms, and the rear window surround tack strip has also disintegrated.

So I was looking at replacements, I found real wood for a reasonable price but also found the West Coast Metric synthetic replacements which are about half the price, does anybody have any experience with Synthetic VS Realwood ?.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I'm going to be following your project as I restored a 71 Super Convertible in 2014. I loved that car but didn't have the garage space to keep 3 VWs. I finished the restoration on a Saturday, took it to a Car show Sunday, then sold it on Tuesday. I really wasn't ready to sell it but got an offer I couldn't refuse. Here are a few pics of it the Saturday I finished it. I hope your car progresses nicely!!!

gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Nice color scheme, I am staying with the red and a black/black roof. Looked back at your original pics, yours needed only a little detailing, mine needs MAJOR detailing, luckily no welding though.

I just checked and mine has Brake Drums both Front and Back, I had assumed it would have discs up front.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I ended up having to replace both floor pans, rebuild the front end and added adjustable struts, replace the carpet, touched up about 200 places with custom hand matched paint, wet sanded them all, then machine compound buffed, polished, and waxed the entire car. I ended up spending $3,000 and hundreds of hours on it, but you're right that with my starting point I didn't have as far to go. But your car isn't in bad shape, especially for a convertible that's been sitting a while. My 62 and 63 Sunroof Bugs...they needed as much new metal as they had old metal left. I'm wishing you the best on your build and I look forward to seeing the progress.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

ALL Beetle Convertibles were built in Germany.

Not sure where you are getting this Italian stuff from. That car looks like a perfectly normal US spec 1971 Beetle Convertible (including the rear badge).

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I went back and looked at pictures of mine and it had the Volkswagen badge too.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
ALL Beetle Convertibles were built in Germany.

Not sure where you are getting this Italian stuff from. That car looks like a perfectly normal US spec 1971 Beetle Convertible (including the rear badge).

^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I take it all back, you guys are 100% right.
This is just an "export" beetle, the actual German market ones had 1302(LS) on the rear but anything leaving the country had "Volkswagen".

1st new part !!! got a tank level sender seal ($4.99) today in the mail, wife will be happy that the garage now doesn't smell of Gas so much.

Are there any Flat Window Super Beetles with Discs on the front or are they all 4-Drummers ?
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Looks like a fun project and the perfect time of year to tackle it Smile I look forward to following your thread as I am also in AZ and have been restoring a convertible as well. Smile
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Took apart what was left of the rear window frame.

Some of the wood is missing, but the metal only needs blasting and primer.

I am expecting only four pieces of tack wood for a 1971 but it seems maybe the previous installer ordered the wrong wood or chopped it up for some other reason.

I am still on the fence about whether to go Wood or Synthetic for the tack strips. I think I will need everything apart from the Front Bow.
luftkuhlers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

gereonb wrote:

I am still on the fence about whether to go Wood or Synthetic for the tack strips. I think I will need everything apart from the Front Bow.

i would recommend Wood. I'm also restoring a vert atm..
what i've learned: quality before price.
i would fear the synthetic material would get recalcitrant over the years and brake.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

gereonb wrote:
Took apart what was left of the rear window frame.

Some of the wood is missing, but the metal only needs blasting and primer.

I am expecting only four pieces of tack wood for a 1971 but it seems maybe the previous installer ordered the wrong wood or chopped it up for some other reason.

The PO probably used the proper window tack wood, but over time it has shrunk, you can clearly see where it has split. I would recommend wood as well. The problem is nobody drys they're wood properly anymore so it's a crap shoot. I recently bought a couple pieces for a reputable seller and I can't tell you how disappointed i was with the quality, It looks like a Jr. high school student made em. so being a woodworker, I've decided to make them myself.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Looks like a fun car to build. I'll be following your thread.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Next step is I need to get emissions done on this bug before I can go get the plate.
She is running ok but almost stalls when giving throttle, I can see that the accelleration sprayer in the throat of the carb is only dripping drops, I am used to it spraying a fine mist of fuel. I am going to pull the carb to check on the right-side pump diaphragm.

Someone used a self tapping screw to mount Coil. Yuck.

More ugly stuff, crimped plugs, tape and cable ties. I am not a fan of this mess, I will be removing the IDLE cut-off valve completely and probably leave the electronic choke. So soldering and heat shrink instead of this mess.

gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

So carrying on with the investigation in to the flat spot I stripped down the carb and the ignition.
The accelerator pump was only dribbling so I cleaned upend and adjusted it.

Reassembling the Carb top. MAKE SURE the white clip bows to the rear otherwise the top won;t go on properly.

Gonna Lose the 009 in favour of this old SVDA 034 I found in my parts box.

Hopefully that will all make the engine runs healthier for the Emissions test, but before I can do a test drive I need to fix the Flasher which is not working and generally tidy up the trunk electrics.

There was a this makeshift wood propping up the Glove box.

The wiring is mostly ok but there were a few stragglers that are bare or not connected.

So happy that the trunk is bone dry and no rust or crash damage visible.

Took out the crusty heater hoses, but how do you replace the hose that connects right down the bottom of this slim pocket each side of the front ?, you would need elf arms.

The door hinge mounts actually have 4 nuts on the rear but only use three of them.

It is really crazy how the sun turns the plastic Vents to dust.
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I had a 71 convertible beetle for many years. Get some top line struts in there and Some disc brakes for the front. I had many happy years cruising in my bug good luck with your project.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Ugh ... Today was a sucky day.

I was getting the Convertible road ready so I can go get the Registration/Emissions/Inspection done and was doing some tuning on the idle. Thing is this car has a replacement or rebuilt engine, it has a lot of Brazil components The fuel pump clashes with the dual port intake, the carb is a crappy 34pict3 and none of the other engine parts seem original either. The gear box looks to be non-original too, ill get to that in a later post.
So I was warming her up and noticed oil coming out behind the crank pulley. Later on I tried pulling on it and noticed there is a bunch of play back and forward. While I was looking on here about oil leeks a few people mentioned that play could mean the flywheel is loose. I am going to pull the engine, yes, I want to investigate this.

Stripping her down, will I make the valence removable ?, probably.

Gaaahh ... 2nd bummer ... bent push rod tubes. Yuck.

Now for the real Suckpilepoop ... the right hand motor/gearbox mount is broken. Now I know why the motor had a slight slant to it.

Anyone seen a broken arm like that ?. I think I can save it with some quality welds. To be seen once I have the motor pulled out and have more space.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Engine is out, the bottom of the bell housing is oily and there is 1 to 2 mm of play on the crankshaft.
Cut two fingers really well trying to remove the old engine bay seals. ouch. The rubber has turned to bakelite, it is a beast to remove.
Once my fingers heal I'll get the drive shafts loose (yes i have the right multi spline bit) and hopefully drop the gearbox.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Made some nice progress. I borrowed an AWESOME MIG welder from my buddy who races cars here on the tracks around Phoenix. It is a Millermatic 211.

Here is the gearbox arm, chassis fork before fixing

And voila, UGLIEST welds ever (been about 15 years since my last efforts) but i got good penetration and used some Zinc spray to seal it up.

Now I can reinstall the gearbox, waiting on new rubber mounts I order from Advance Auto Parts.
I can continue with the Endplay issues, the motor is out and now I can see there is about at least 3mm play. Once I got the clutch plate off I was greeted by a strange sight, a small aluminum disc with 8 holes and the pins that go into the crank, doesn't look OEM.

I continued to strip the engine, got the front Pulley off and found it to be not original, it has a thread on the inside and is also cracked, maybe this is the source of my issues. Looks like it was never able to be tightened properly.

For now I am going to look into what the parts list should be for a 1600 DP engine block with the ACD numbering.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: