Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Well hello again, haven't posted in a while. Mainly because I have been out driving the thing without a roof, it handles well and so far the engine has been stable.
I do have all the bits for the roof and I am slowly working on getting to that phase.

Two things that bug me right now are:
- Driver door is quite a way from its latch, there is quite a gap compared to the passenger side. It causes the latch to rub on open/close and the door to be very hard to open. I am thinking this is only going to be fixed by body work when it is off the frame/chassis.
- Oil pressure is TOO constant, even with new relief springs it sticks around 20 when driving and only drops to 10 when idle. If I am on the freeway and high revs it does not go above 20. This means that after a lot of freeway the oil temp is also too high.
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Hi ~ I am at about the same phase as you in my restoration process. Everything is pretty much done except for the top. I have a top boot placed over the frame to give it a finished look for now. Smile. I have the same problem with my driver side door having a larger gap. My gap is actually larger at the top than at the bottom and the bottom sticks out a bit. The latch was sticking so much and was very difficult to open and close properly. I placed washers behind the four screws that attached the catch to the frame to serve as a spaced to push the catch closer to the latch and now the door opens and closes like a dream. Good for now until I have time to further investigate the reason for the gap. I'm told that there is a way to adjust the doors somehow. We shall see, but I certainly hope so. Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1965 Java Green Sedan
1868 Yukon Yellow Convertible
2012 Passat SEL Premium PZEV
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

So happy to be done with the top, did it all myself, ordered bows, padding, headliner and top all from various places. Restored the frame a little, had to weld new tabs on here and there. Sanded and POR15/Laquered/Varnished.
Probably about 8 hours solid for the install without the prep.

One proud man here.

Next to my newest Toy in the Garage.

{a few weeks later ...}
Replaced the Transmission oil, it was soo stinky and sludgy, garage still reeks of it.
Gear now easier to shift but have to be rolling at the right speeds for 1st and 2nd.
Clutch broke today, must be either the Throwout rod or something internal.
Had to drive the rabbit to work.
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

You did an amazing job on your top! Not an easy task I'm sure. So cool that it is finished Smile.

1965 Java Green Sedan
1868 Yukon Yellow Convertible
2012 Passat SEL Premium PZEV
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Thanks, the hard work was all the researching and finding all the little bits needed. The actual install was not too bad, learned a lot for the next one.

My clutch was set too tight, it was riding into the pressure plate, this ripped off the throwout bearing, ordered new bearing, kit and new arm. And also new LUK clutch kit as the pressure plate was damaged.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Hi there Gereonb. Nice progress on the Super. I was wondering if you could post a picture of how you installed the rear apron. My project bug has the rear apron off too. I was thinking of bolting it somehow instead of welding it back on. That way I could take it on and off as needed for easy access. How did you decide to do it? Thank you for sharing your project. I can't wait until I can actually drive mine around!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Mostly just drilled out each an every spot weld, hammered the pieces back into shape, the apron just sits on there and the fender&bolts hold it in place. Had to cut a bit off the inside in order for it to go on and off but the seal part is still intact. My seal is now in three parts.

Early IRS like this has an IRS transmission but with an early style clutch. Somebody had mounted a late IRS clutch and throwout bearing to a early IRS throwout arm. Needless to say it was always kind of loose and didnt look right to me. I had tightened the clutch a week or so back and now the thing blew up on me. If you tighten your clutch too much the bearing hits the clutch plate. Now I ordered all the OG early IRS clutch and bearings to reinstall.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Wow so sorry to hear about your clutch, what a bummer!

Thank you for the info on the apron. That is exactly how mine was removed (from the looks of it) so that is how I will hold it on. Its good to have a plan.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

The silver lining was that I was only a mile from home so could crawl home in 2nd.
P.S. if you ever lose your clutch you just need to roll the car at a sufficient speed to be able to get into a gear.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Here is the rear panel, it has pounds of bondo and has the holes from drilling the spot welds but looks original when instralled and bolted by the fender bolts. I have a better one ready for the day I get the whole bug painted.

I finally got the clutch done. Early IRS Throwout arm and bearing, no guide sleeve like late ones. I then used a special collar from aircoolednet on a late IRS clutch plate. All back in and working great.

gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Well the new clutch is working great.
Engine drips some oil even though I went in a reinstalled the cam plug and some Silicon.
Right now the car has the 195/50 on the rear, she hits the sweet spot at 55MPH, any more and she starts to heat up. So I will be looking for some 205/70 or something. Probably leave the front at 165/50.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Was out to drive down to the ArizonaAircooled meet on sunday and the engine started to die. Crawled back home.
After checking valves and sparks I took off the top of carb and found the float valve was stuck open, lots of junk in there. I had removed the filter by the tranny when I did the clutch, my bad.
Installed the filter back in but up front below the tank now, hopefully no more junk.

Problem now after replacing the fuel pump is that there is oil coming up from the fuel pump base, somehow it is coming up through the bakelite tube and seeps out quite a lot. Will try tightening the pump base nuts, maybe use some permatex.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Not many changes since I last posted, been enjoying driving the red bug around like a go-cart all the time.
Met these fellow brits at a Local Car meet here in Phoenix, they are driving from the northern most pub in the world to the southernmost pub in the world on a trip called pub2Pub, super nice folks.

My 34pict3 carb finally blocked up due to the previous engine builder using HORRIBLE blue silicon sealant, I did a full rebuild and cleaned out every last piece of the carb.

Just love driving my bug for now. Restoration plans are of course constantly going through my head but we just had our second daughter so those plans are on hold financially for a while.

gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Well friends, my fuel pipe started leaking by the clutch pedal INSIDE the tunnel.
I hereby declare the strip season started !. Gonna strip the whole car down to the last nut'n'bolt and do a proper resto. WHEEHEEE.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Well, put in a few hours and got the fenders, hood, and front suspension off.

gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Wife is out with the kids for two days so time for more deconstruction.
Had to hand saw off the tie rod end on the driver side as it was good'n'schtuck, my puller is bent and even a big hammer wouldn't loosen it.

Removed every single moving nut and bolt and part from the front end, dash and front half of the interior.

Steering gear, brake lines, its all taken out.
I was hoping to use a brake reservoir that goes right on top of the Master some day, but now taking this all apart I realize it wouldn't fit, I guess they must be for earlier bugs.

Dash is empty now, in fact the first time I have ever removed the steering column on any of my cars, ever.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Wow you"re going after it full throttle! Very Happy Cool

Where are you putting all this stuff?!!

Your wife is never going to leave you alone for any lenghth of time ever again! Lol
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Yep, I don't want to cut corners and dropping the pan is the only way to really restore the parts correctly.
Here is the main reason for the work, passenger side tunnel end rusted.

and the same on the driver side.

These are the only spots on the chassis that needs work. Smal spots around the windshield and so on, but these two spots are the main focus. I'll be replacing the triangular crossmember on both sides that join at the shiftcoupler, and of course some panels for the inner fender and probably a few custom cuts.

The only custom modification id like to make is to relocate the silly brake reservoir to somewhere better, maybe inside the footwell, at least closer to the main cylinder.

Here is the butt end after taking off all the fenders and my removable valence.

And today the wife let me do a few hours in the garage, I removed the whole loom and all the wiring on the inside, un did the heater vent wires and then proceeded to unbolt the whole front end of the pan.

The body is now on the jack stands and the pan is free to drop down, right now there are only four 15mm bolts in the rear holding the whole pan including engine and gearbox in. I plan to drop it in the next few days.

Here is the frame head hanging down.

And here is the pan hanging down inside the front wheel well, you can see the fuel return line that is either for the fuel injection model or for the carbon fume canister.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Mmmmm.... the anticipation is palpable
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Well the pan is now off. And funnily enough the rust looks not as bad as with the pan on ?, huh.

I would highly recommend doing it this way, it is so easy, just jack the chassis and drop the pan, no hoists or other lifting necessary.

Now to the reason I started this, I found the issue, the fuel line in the front of the tunnel was pushed in a little too far and was rubbing against the clutch pedal mechanism.

I am now trying to decide whether to go full blast and install two new stainless lines in the tunnel or to just use a swagelock fitting and fix this section. I guess it will depend on how much rust I find elsewhere in the head and around the tunnel once it has been blasted.
I will 100% be removing the bottom plate from the frame head.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: