Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

57 Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Used a little KF remnant to double as a mounting bracket for my flasher relay. Painted the bracket and used velcro to adhere both together. Turned out great!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WTB Joe Heishman VW Arlington, VA License Plate Frame or Other Memorabilia
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Complete and all systems go! Relatively easy and straight-forward install. Nice to know all wires are in sheathing, no unnecessary connections/splices, correct wire gauge throughout and where and to what things are connected. All grounding locations were shined up and di-electric grease applied. Any non-screw terminal connection was shrink-wrapped and terminated.

Everything is much cleaner and presentable!

Before:

After:

I will post a lessons learned in the next few days.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

My core muscles hurt knowing the time you spent in the awkward position working under the dash.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
My core muscles hurt knowing the time you spent in the awkward position working under the dash.

Agreed! Lot of time upside down and body twisted to get it all to go together. Worth the effort though. Cruised 50 miles today without an issue!
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Finishing touch with the rubber boots.

Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Now that my harness is out, I was able to source quite a bit of good, original wiring for future use if needed.

Rat's Nest

Clean OG Wire

Cool Detail

Motherlode

This was my favorite hack.

Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

OK. Just some quick notes on the wiring harness install. I felt the WW wiring harness was a well put together product and worth the money. A few of the wires could have been a few inches longer (ie each front turn signal wire) to facilitate the required connections. The wire connectors that are provided in the kit are too small to work for the connections. I asked WW for larger ones which they gave me but those were too small as well. I ended up using my OG ones.

The directions were straight-forward and easy to follow but did have some discrepencies such as the length of the right front turn signal wire measured 760mm but the directions called it as being 800mm and the wiper motor to switch wire is black and purple striped but the misc wires diagram called it black and red striped. There were a few other itmes as well but relatively minor.

Other than then items listed above I am am very pleased with this product. I would definielty recommend doing this upgrade to any old bus.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

This simple engine lid spring has to be one of the best investments in a part I think I have made for my bus. My head has been smacked numerous times over the years and now this baby keeps the prop arm nice and snug!

DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Wonderful build you go there! And the attention to quality is fantastic! Congrats on your Split bus!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

I always wanted to add another brake light since the only one on my bus is like 2"x 3". Morons today aren't accustomed to seeing such a small brake light or that low. So I used some OG wiring to to wire up an 11 LED brake light mounted to the rear hatch. Works like a charm! Obviously a modern look to a classic so I am struggling with that. Opinions anyone?

Not too noticable when not lit.

Hello!!!

b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

I like it, been considering doing something like that for my '56 panel as well.

My '56 was rear-ended pretty hard back in '84, a nice bright brake light like that just might have prevented it from happening.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

That looks really good! If it's too noticable when not lit for you, maybe you can get a tinted lens? Or like some did it in the 80's, light coat of plastic spray bomb paint on the inside of the lens?

I would rather see that light, than see you get a hard rear end hit. That scares the crap out of me when driving through Seattle! Main reason I spent $80 retrofitting my buckets to LED brake light bulbs in the rear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

b-man wrote:

My '56 was rear-ended pretty hard back in '84, a nice bright brake light like that just might have prevented it from happening.

Thanks b_man! Easy and inexpensive (sourced wire and $12 LED strip from Amazon). Made my own brackets and threw a weld on each to the hatch. BTW...nice 56 panel thread. Step up that motivation you say you lack in your thread and get that baby rollin' the streets again. Whereabouts in So Cal are you?

motofly196 wrote:
That looks really good! If it's too noticable when not lit for you, maybe you can get a tinted lens? Or like some did it in the 80's, light coat of plastic spray bomb paint on the inside of the lens?

I would rather see that light, than see you get a hard rear end hit. That scares the crap out of me when driving through Seattle! Main reason I spent $80 retrofitting my buckets to LED brake light bulbs in the rear.

Agreed motofly196. An added benefit is that I can actually see it light up when I hit the brakes. I now know that others should be aware that I am braking.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:

Agreed motofly196. An added benefit is that I can actually see it light up when I hit the brakes. I now know that others should be aware that I am braking.

For an added safety measure you could add a flasher like motorcycle guys use. It flashes the brake light a few times before turning solid each time you hit the brakes. I plan to add that setup to my Moto Guzzi and BMW in the near future.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
b-man wrote:

Thanks b_man! Easy and inexpensive (sourced wire and $12 LED strip from Amazon). Made my own brackets and threw a weld on each to the hatch. BTW...nice 56 panel thread. Step up that motivation you say you lack in your thread and get that baby rollin' the streets again. Whereabouts in So Cal are you?

I'm in Santa Clarita. Working long hours all week along with most Saturdays just doesn't leave me with much time or energy for projects. Now with the weather starting to cool down a bit and with my work starting to slow down some I'm hoping I can make some real progress soon.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

b-man wrote:
Dubskii wrote:
b-man wrote:

I'm in Santa Clarita. Working long hours all week along with most Saturdays just doesn't leave me with much time or energy for projects. Now with the weather starting to cool down a bit and with my work starting to slow down some I'm hoping I can make some real progress soon.

Understood. Keep plugging away when you do get the opportunity. You have a great bus!
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Finished stripping old sound deadening. Doubt it was came from the factory so it had to go. Some small bits left but damn I love that OG grey!

Stripping anything off of these old busses is such a pain in the ass!
Coondog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Been following your thread for a while. My '57 is getting the welding treatment now. It's about the only thing I can't do worth a flip. I think the brake light mount is excellent. I don't think it takes away from the vintage appeal. Anything you can do to keep someone from rear ended you is the way to go.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Nice work on everything! The brakelight in the window is the way to go. I'm going to do the same.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

oakman, Coondog thanks for following! I definitely feel better about cruising around with a little more notice to the other drivers of me slowing down. That engine lid brake light is badass but just so damn small!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 21

Jump to: