Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

March 53 standard in Texas
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brycetx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: March 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

Earlier this month I was fortunate enough to pick up this local Feb' 53 build standard zwitter. I am very exited to get this after a long ten year wait. Another " You'll get first shot IF I ever sell". But the gentleman kept his word, and after this last yearly email pestering, I got a response that the time had come to pass it on. The owner was a friend of a good friend who shared his property to store their cars. It had been sitting out for a long time before I first saw it and was known to a few. I am a big fan of the standard model bugs so I immediately became obsessed with it. It hurt to know it was exposed to the elements when hail or rain would come through our area. I'm starting this thread to share and record it's restoration.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brycetx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Febuary 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

Of course it's missing a lot of those Zwitter only items, but it came with much more stuff than I was expecting. The PO pointed me to an engine he thought belonged to it sitting in another car. It turned out to be the right month and year!

All four fenders are original to the car.

It shows the original pinstripe. Did anyone figure out what this red color is?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brycetx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Febuary 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

The original color is Pearl Grey.

René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Febuary 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

Great find! I am looking forward to following this restoration.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Febuary 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

Congrats. Looks like you might have gotten it before too much damage was done by the elements.

It has always amazed me how many people refuse to sell cars because they "plan on restoring them one day" even though the only place they have to store them is outside.

What are your plans for the car? Original, slam it or somewhere in between?

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Febuary 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

Nice score man! Looks relatively rot free! A trip to the soda blaster will have that car looking completely different! I'm a sucker for standards too...
brycetx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Febuary 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

I want to go as stock as possible. I want it to be a big brother to my 63.

The 52 is not mine. There's a lot of stuff I know will be difficult to get. I'm sure I'll have to run incorrect parts until I can score original ones. It didn't come with the correct 6 bolt hood. So I hope I don't have to paint two of them.
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Febuary 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

Nice find!!! I wonder why it didn't have the 3 bolt hood on it. Is there a build thread for your 63?
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Febuary 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

Looks like it has the 53 oval only ashtray handle.
Maybe the last Zwitters already got them stock?
brycetx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Febuary 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

I never did a build thread on the 63. I have pictures of it's build in my gallery. When looking for interior cloth for the zwitter , I found they now make late standard cloth. I want to redo the interior and add a pinstripe to that car. The ash tray looks original ,but I'll investigate.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Febuary 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

brycetx wrote:
The ash tray looks original ,but I'll investigate.

The ash tray will be the original ,I´m sure.
Just the little handle usually was not yet added at Zwitters.
I know those ones to be in 1953 ovals.
The handle is differend from the ones at 1954 and on ashtrays.
Maybe the last Zwitters got them? Is it a very late one?
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Febuary 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
brycetx wrote:
The ash tray looks original ,but I'll investigate.

The ash tray will be the original ,I´m sure.
Just the little handle usually was not yet added at Zwitters.
I know those ones to be in 1953 ovals.
The handle is differend from the ones at 1954 and on ashtrays.
Maybe the last Zwitters got them? Is it a very late one?

Could be wrong but from the way it appears in the photo, both the button on the glove box door and that handle seem to be painted and not chrome. Also it is the Zwitter only ashtray cause it doesn't have the chrome surrounding like on ovals and early ghias. I'd say if the handle is painted leave it cause it's probably original to the car and would probably make the car more unique being one of the first Zwitters and only split windows to have this item.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Febuary 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

joel55bug wrote:
.. it doesn't have the chrome surrounding like on ovals and early ghias.

1953 ovals did not have the chrome surrounding.
They had the exact same Zwitter ashtray plus the special handle.
It has two ribs on top and is fixed with a little nut from inside.
It is well possible that a late Zwitter already got outfitted with that thandle from the factory.
brycetx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: February 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

There is a dark gray color sprayed over the dash. So I wet sanded and polished the tray, and it is definitely original pearl grey and matches the paint inside the door. It seams the handle is painted too. Standard ovals including 53s are darker Jupiter grey which would have me deduct that it is original with the handle.
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: February 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

Great project. Very jealous :)
Tempie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: February 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

Nice ! You can always visit the Facebook page on standard ovals and splits Wink See my signature

Visit the Standard Split and Oval Beetle group!!

VW Standard Split and Oval Beetle
brycetx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: February 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

Thanks. Awesome page!
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: February 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

Nice save.. Looking forward to this build
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: February 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

Nice find congrats! It looks really straight and the body looks super nice.
Front and rear aprons look awesome as do the heater channels. Keep us posted. Standards are awesome Smile
Paul
brycetx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: February 53 standard in Texas Reply with quote

Thank guys. I'm stoked that the aprons were in such good shape. The channels look as good as any bug I've owned, But the entire heater channel bottoms are rusted as well as the front fire wall bottom (also hacked for hydraulic MC). I'm thinking the body sat on the ground for a while. There are no bolts holding the body to the pan but the VIN matches so I'm lucky.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: