Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 81 aircooled to ABA swap.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'd love to see pics of the final install, especially from the ground, so we can see the clearance with the road.

Ok, will do

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

Here are some 'finished product' pics...

Ground level view
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here you can see that the low spot is 7.5 inches above the ground. The oil pan is 8 inches above the ground. The transmission is 7.25 inches above the ground. My wife's Jetta Sportwagen is a smidge over 5 inches above the ground.

Passenger side view. Not sure if you can see but the muffler bracket just barely clears the carrier bars...same scenario in the drivers side. This mismatched result of me using the 83+ rubber motor mounts. The carry the motor 1 inch higher than the smaller 82 mounts...this also raised the muffler/exhaust 1 inch...it results in a mild vibrating clank every now and again

My favorite part of the swap...NO ENGINE BUMP IN THE BED!

The engine compartment. Air intake runs along the rear wall and gets fresh air via the port the aircooled alternator used to make heat. I accordions the wiring along the drivers side wall, as it was all in good shape and I didn't want to risk messing up a fully sorted harness. The ECU is mounted under the wardrobe cabinet outside of the engine bay, not sure u can see it in this pic.

I did not take a pic, but my second favorite part is the original, unmolested aircooled vanagon front end. I installed a colder thermostat. The motor runs happily at +/- 192*. The fan runs on low. I think this setup will work just fine, as any temps under 210* are OK.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

Really nice work. You should be proud of what you've accomplished here.
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Really nice work. You should be proud of what you've accomplished here.

Thank you. I am quite proud of this. I like it more and more each time I drive it. I could not have done it without yours and everyone else's help.

Next stop...ACADIA NATIONAL PARK. Very Happy Cool Very Happy

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

Yea, really nice job you've done here. Enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

I now feel like a "hack" ! LOL.

Nice. And I like the "bolt up" exhaust. I bet you'll run that exhaust for some time.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
I now feel like a "hack" ! LOL.

Nice. And I like the "bolt up" exhaust. I bet you'll run that exhaust for some time.

I especially like the old aircooled muffler tip I swapped over from the type4! Laughing

Dub Misfits
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

Looks really nice!! I can't wait to get mine running, so I can actually drive it for once.
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

I have been driving the van as my daily driver all week. Everything is working well and I a quite happy.
I noticed the exhaust sounding a bit loud this afternoon will driving to town after school. When I got home, i discovered the nuts holding the downpipe to the exhaust header had backed off a fair amount. I had them torqued properly. I retorqued and used some blue loctite...which only has a 300* tolerance, so I expect it to be a short lived solution.
What do folks suggest, hi temp loctite, lock washers? Is this a common occurrence with the deiesel style exhaust?

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:
What do folks suggest, hi temp loctite, lock washers? Is this a common occurrence with the deiesel style exhaust?

Are you using regular nuts, serrated flange nuts or prevailing-torque (all metal) lock nuts? I've always had trouble with plain nuts on the exhaust manifolds with VW striaght-4 engines, and while I prefer the PT lock nuts with washers, serrated flange nuts have also worked just fine for me.
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
VWinVT wrote:

Are you using regular nuts, serrated flange nuts or prevailing-torque (all metal) lock nuts? I've always had trouble with plain nuts on the exhaust manifolds with VW striaght-4 engines, and while I prefer the PT lock nuts with washers, serrated flange nuts have also worked just fine for me.

I am using plain copper nuts...I guess that's the issue. I will stop at the store, while in town tomorrow, and get the proper nuts. I bought copper because I thought I needed to. Do they really need to be copper, or will stainless work?
Thanks

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

Stainless tends to gall with the heat. Regular steel with a smear of anti-seize is all I've used for years and never an issue .. but I'm in Oregon. While we have more rust issues than our neighbors to the south in California, it's nowhere near what I've seen on cars coming from places east of the continental divide.
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

I was able to find some brass lock washers locally. Nice and snug ft now. Now just to finish up clearancing/trimming the muffler brackets so it doesn't clatter against the engine carrier bar. One more trim should do it.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

Bump, a couple more weeks and hows the swap been?
taken it onto the highway yet? I found ~72mph was the sweet spot on my old 1.8l digifant.

and yes exhaust nuts can be a chore to keep on till something just stays put.

VWinVT wrote:
I have been driving the van as my daily driver all week. Everything is working well and I a quite happy.
I noticed the exhaust sounding a bit loud this afternoon will driving to town after school. When I got home, i discovered the nuts holding the downpipe to the exhaust header had backed off a fair amount. I had them torqued properly. I retorqued and used some blue loctite...which only has a 300* tolerance, so I expect it to be a short lived solution.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Bump, a couple more weeks and hows the swap been?
taken it onto the highway yet? I found ~72mph was the sweet spot on my old 1.8l digifant.

and yes exhaust nuts can be a chore to keep on till something just stays put.

VWinVT wrote:

Missed the bump. The motor has been performing wonderfully! I love it! It runs strong and steady. I have driven up to 65 and it runs well. I just have some reservation with cruising with RPMs at 4K for long stretches...seems hard on the motor?
I must admit that the van has lost something, without the aircooled. More of a nostalgic loss than anything else, but I do miss the brrrrr of the type 4.
I just installed the heat shield over the muffler, which cooled intake air quite a lot.
I realigned the shift linkage and most of the shifter buzz has gone, but not all. It occurs at 3100 and disappears at 3500rpms. I went to install the Powerflex trans mount and I ordered the wrong size...so that will be in the weekends list.
My gas mileage has improved a TON, I am easily at about 22 mpg. I really am surprised there aren't more of these swaps going into the vans, everything fits well and performs well and is priced well.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

the motor will be A ok at and above 4k rpms for hours on end.. that I can personally assure you.
in fact it's better to have alittle revs vs lugging the motor (most any VW motor don't like lugging rpms)

I'm not sure a (stiffer) urethane trans mount will return less vibration.
it took a buncha work to get my shift linkages buzz/rattle free after each and every joint and surface was brought back to new.

I do understand the lose of the flat 4 Ooorrrrumph.. noise..
but while these are a toy/hobby car, it's imperative to travel farther and with better power & economy.

hows this sound to you Pre-swap.

how about I can improve your MPG up to ~22mpg
while increasing your cruising speeds up hills/mtns & interstates to 65-70 comfortably (ok some 55-60mph mtns)
and providing you in cabin heat that can drive out a chihuahua (insulate the heater supply hose w/pipe insulation)
upgrade your engine management electronics by 15yrs

and for that you lose that original flat four exhaust note (you can always drill a 1/2" hole pre muffler)

only cost you a couple months time and <$3ooo (rebuilt T-IV is >$3ooo)

yeah I'm surprised there aren't more of these out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
1997 2.0 ABA? Here you go.....

Andrew by any chance would you have images for OBD1 electrical connections, I tried to buy the bentley online but i couldnt place the order and the only chance I have is until july 15th and waith adittional 7 days for delivery. Hope to have your response my brother. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

Andrew just found it online thanks anyways my brother
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

To help confirm you found the correct diagrams....

OBD1 diagrams should show an N71 (IAC) idle control valve and J16 power supply relay.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 81 aircooled to ABA swap. Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
To help confirm you found the correct diagrams....

OBD1 diagrams should show an N71 (IAC) idle control valve and J16 power supply relay.

Neil.

Jesus christ I'm beginning to feel dizzy with all does codes Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 32

Jump to: