Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Peloquin diff and Torsen TBD (similarities?)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin diff and Torsen TBD (similarities?) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That has been offered before, maybe a different company.
IIRC it was much much less $$ but was likely cheesier.

That looks like a nice product, but how much torque do you think can be transferred across that lubricated 'circle' where the springs mash it against the side gears?

Probably a little.

Look at a real clutch-type LSD that has a series of clutches, friction material, requiring enhanced lubrication for optimal performance (that squishes out of the way at peril to your gears/bearings!).

And the force comes from an arrangement of "ramps" that produce more force as torque increases,
not just the constant-force of springs.

It's probably helps a little.
$379/$1500= 25%
I highly doubt it's even 25% of a $1500 Peloquin.
Perhaps better than nothing but I doubt its better than your parking brake lever.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin diff and Torsen TBD (similarities?) Reply with quote

I wonder if the preload will cause issues when trying to lock the diff up.

Also, you must machine some clearance on one side of each of the internal gears inside the diff itself (spider gears).

Are those gears still available new? (just incase I'd want to revert it back to stock)

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin diff and Torsen TBD (similarities?) Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
I wonder if the preload will cause issues when trying to lock the diff up.

This cannot be fitted to an 094 Locker, only fits on on the open diff.
It will fit on your front diff.
I would not even go to the trouble to install it.
Maybe someone else will, but you have to trust their ability to perform a valid test, as its contribution will be subtle and difficult to quantify.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin diff and Torsen TBD (similarities?) Reply with quote

I see now Idea. The Traction Concepts spring-loaded LSD block itself replaces item 11 on a standard open diff. The syncro locker (shown below) has the 2 additional holes on that part, as well as the two extra shafts (#17), & 2 more gears (#13). That LSD block only works with 2 spider gears inside the diff, as it looks like a factory locker has 4 gears in there, if i'm reading that right...

& a 091 open diff (for reference) The block replaces item 5 in the illustration below, and puts a spring load on the two spider gears (item 4).

I would definitely try that TC LSD block thing on my lowered '85 if I still had it... Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2132517.jpg

Thanks again Sodo Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: