Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First aircooled 65 single cab
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Long time lurker...

I've wanted an aircooled VW for a long time, went through a few phases of buying and eventually selling old BMWs but the aircooled stuff was always calling my name. By dumb luck around Christmas time this past year my great uncle was talking about selling his single cab, a vehicle which I didn't even know he owned at all. We struck a deal and I drove to Alabama from my home in Virginia this past weekend to pick it up. The truck is super solid, has an og velvet greet interior and a 1600 dp engine. The previous owner before him did a quasi restoration of sorts but didn't have the means I am guessing to properly fix the trouble spots on the body.

Inside rockers are crispy on the bottom edges
Rockers are full of bondo, glass
Floor pan is repaired on the outer edges with pop riveted sheet metal, otherwise ok
Nose is full of bondo, glass, a pillars seem solid except the last inch or so
Front inner/ outer valence is crispy along the bottom edge
Rear corners are questionable, battery tray is rusty
Under fuel tank floor is in beginning stages of rusting through

Good stuff:

Og velvet green interior paint was spared the spray paint treatment and is complete
Og doglegs are really nice
Gates show no signs of abuse from hauling loads of god knows what after all these years
Og bed and treasure chest floor in amazing shape
Frame is amazingly dry and straight, outriggers look great

All in all I am really happy with the condition of this single cab. I commend my uncle and the previous owner for keeping this old truck inside a garage and taking care of it despite its flaws. Who knows what this thing would have looked like by now if left in the southern Alabama weather! My plans are to cut out the bad, put in the good and enjoy it for what it is and maybe one day I can sell it to my nephew and keep it in the family. I only have one picture right now, but once it's in the garage I'll take some more to document it. I'll throw the m code plate up here too since it seems like the trendy samba thing to do.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Very nice project! Welcome to the ACVW insanity.....
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Nice! My 65 was originally a Velvet Green truck from the south US too. Love the utility value of a SC.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Quick pic of the dash, my uncle was smart and made a little bracket that goes through the slats in the dash rather than cut it for the fan mount. It still has the radio blank plate.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Very sweet single you have there, great looking shape! Welcome to the ACVW's
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Here is a shot of the front of the treasure chest. I'm geussing that is original primer and velvet green although other parts of the treasure chest have been resprayed with the same shade as the exterior. No major rust in here just little pin holes here and there.

Just surface rust in the bed, I've combed the bed and have only found a few pin holes here and there. I'm astounded how much original metal has survived on this truck after being in the south east for so long.

That's all for now, going to pull the fuel tank and all the nasty old fuel lines Sunday. If I have time I want to dig into the nose area a little and see how bad it's been punched in and how much filler is there.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

That thing is nice. I like the Velvet Green. You even have the usually lost spare tire holder stuff.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Had time to pull the fuel tank today after it rained all morning long. There was the most foul smelling fuel smell when I got anywhere near this thing. I knew it rarely got driven so the chances of it having a full fresh tank of fuel run through it was pretty slim. The paint on the tank was bubbling around the filler neck and sending unit so I bought a new tank and everything to install it from WW. The tank straps were some mess made out of strap steel so I got those too. The worst rust on the while truck is right under the fuel tank, there is some sort of tar backed plastic laid under the tank that was impossible to pull up so I'll have to grab my heat gun and have a go at that before the tank goes back in. The tank was full (of course it's full, they are always full) and I didn't have enough drain pans to drain it all so it was a bear to remove but it's out!

Pre pressure washed shot, you can see some damage to the lower quarter and the subsequent "repair" with everyone's best freind Mr. Hook and Slide hammer

Clean(er)

This thing was a ticking time bomb with this kind of leak.

Floor, frame, outriggers all really nice and dry.

Some spray paint chipped off and I was offered a glimpse into the past.

Do I start scraping and see what lies beneath the layers of rattle can green?Stay tuned!
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Hard to tell from this picture but I scraped a small amount of the paint off with some nail polish remover and it appears there is a very faded velvet green underneath. I'm curious if the truck was even sanded at all before it was covered in the green spray paint. I need to grab some of the graffiti remover and do a small test area and find out. Any other suggestions? I've seen some guys using citrus based paint strippers, the green that is on it looks like regular old spray paint so it shouldn't put up much of a fight.

I also need to put another muffler on it and need some help. My uncle swapped in a 1600 dual port motor, could I still use a muffler/ tailpipe from any 65 model bus?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Congratulations on your velvet truck!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

I dig your truck man. Thanks for taking those detailed pics of the treasure chest area, its helping me with my metal work. And another velvet truck yes!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment! I've been following your build as well, that truck of yours is a huge undertaking. I have a lot of respect for someone willing to save any vehicle in such shape. Ill keep posting pictures as I keep digging around, I need to get the exhaust sorted out as the muffler on there currently is about to fall off and doesn't align with the heater boxes or anything for that matter. If anyone has a suggestion for an exhaust that fits well let me know. I would even forego heat to get one that fits right even just for this spring/ summer/ fall.

Schwing wrote:
I dig your truck man. Thanks for taking those detailed pics of the treasure chest area, its helping me with my metal work. And another velvet truck yes!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
If anyone has a suggestion for an exhaust that fits well let me know. I would even forego heat to get one that fits right even just for this spring/ summer/ fall.

Get a stock 1500/1600 1963-71 one then.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

Avoid any made by Kadron...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Here is a good supplier of VW parts that for the most part provides quality merchandise. If there is a problem with a part they tend to do the right thing.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211251051E

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1740216

One of these perhaps? My "research" tells me an original VW logo one is the only one that seems to fit and seal properly. Would a gasket set from WW compliment these NOS mufflers? The help is much appreciated.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Wow the classified section! Brilliant!

I'll just buy one of those NOS mufflers and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Eric&Barb wrote:
Here is a good supplier of VW parts that for the most part provides quality merchandise. If there is a problem with a part they tend to do the right thing.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
Laughing
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
One of these perhaps? My "research" tells me an original VW logo one is the only one that seems to fit and seal properly. Would a gasket set from WW compliment these NOS mufflers? The help is much appreciated.

Those are for 40 HP and so a 1200 cc sized engine. Original VW logo is not needed, just OEM. Ernst or Leistritz are the best, or "Made In Germany" stamped on the muffler should be just fine. Though there is a Emeege Brazilian muffler for $80.00 that looks interesting...

Tail pipe, dampener, and gasket kit will fit all bus mufflers from 1961 thru 1967. After 1967 the tail pipe changed.

You will need the clamps to go between the muffler preheat bubbles and the heat exchangers.

Would be a good idea to post images of the engine to help anyone here to point out any problems with it.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
Wow the classified section! Brilliant! Laughing

Just fixed that post.... Embarassed

And added a little more info to the last.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 24

Jump to: