Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First aircooled 65 single cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Kicking ass Ryan. Keep it up.

Thanks! Going to do as much as I can Sunday, waiting on lower A pillars from KF that should arrive Tuesday of next week. Plan on having the inner valence supports fully cut out and everything cleaned up for the new metal. Can't wait!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

The rust is fixable on the passenger dogleg, the drivers dogleg is a mess though. I think rather than attempt at patching the passenger dogleg I am just going to buy the KF inner and outer lower dogleg repair sections. It is an extra expense I wasn't planning on but I am trying to do this nose right the first time.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Work looks really good so far, thanks for the updates.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Looking good Ryan, thanks for taking the time to share, I'll be diving into this very same thing soon, hopefully.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

I need some opinions here before I start reassembly this week:

I have a new nose panel that would normally "tuck" under the lower windshield panel, not a nose panel like KF and some other places sell where it includes the lower windshield panel. My window frames are not rotted whatsoever so I decided not to go down that road but now I am thinking of the best route to take welding the new nose panel in. Here are my options:

-Trim the new nose panel just below the windshield frame and butt weld it up against the small leftover piece of the original nose, leaving the OG window frame and spot welds intact.

-Drill all of the spot welds where the OG nose panel meets the lower window frame and "slide" (?) the old sliver of nose panel out from underneath the frame, then "slip" the new nose panel under the old window frame section and use the now drilled out spot weld sections as the area to plug weld my new nose on.

-Purchase a KF nose with the lower frame included

I am leaning toward drilling the spot welds off the old frame and slipping the old nose section out and letting the existing window frame overlap the new nose, just how it was from the factory and plug welding it back in. Despite the hard work of drilling all the spot welds, I think it is the best route to take considering how much grinding and shaping will be required if I trim and butt weld the new nose on. Basically the more I think about it, I would like to avoid a huge weld seam all the way across the new nose... especially when I have gone this far already! Sounds like a lot of grinding and risk of warping.

Thoughts?
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Drilling out the weld from the front will be difficult. Finding the spots and getting them cleanly drilled out and apart without making a mess of the windshield frame...

Getting a lower windshield frame will be easier.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

I would advise against trying to fit a nose under the old window frames in place. Getting a good looking tight fit of the new nose and old window frame will be very time consuming. It has been done that way though. I replaced my lower window even though it was ok. No regrets.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the input! I think a lower windshield frame order is going in today. Seems like the best route when doing a full nose replacement, Kurt your videos have been so helpful during all of this I can't thank you enough for taking the time to make and most importantly share all of them.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

With both of you guys, Ryan and Kurt, how is the front section of the doglegs welded to the nose section? It looks like a butt weld, though both inner and outer doglegs being separate pieces, I'm just curious.
I haven't cut out my old rusty legs yet, I bought the half dog leg sections that is offered by Gerson, so I'm waiting to see how high they come up before removing anything.
I could totally watch Kurt's 3-piece dogleg seminar on the tubez, and plan too, once metal arrives.
I was hoping something would indulge my laziness.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Thread hijack?

Doglegs at the front were four spot welded tabs only. They rely heavily on the floor and wheel housing for shape and stiffness. VW had very strong clamping frames to hold everything in perfect alignment for welding. We must spend hours trying fitting and clamping to gat a good door gap. Quality time well spent.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

No hijacking here.
Just reaching out for tips, suggestions, things to make it easier (Clecos) and the dos/dont's.
Carry on gentlemen!

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Tried to put in a few hours last night after I fixed my F350 but that old jealous Ford was not letting me get any alone time with the single cab! Should have some progress pics soon.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Finally got the rest of the lower valence brackets cut off allowing me to start fitting fresh metal!

Despite this panel being held in by only vise grips, I am feeling very satisfied that I am in the rebuilding phase.

My Freinds barn find 67 21 window I posted a few pages back ended up having a bad trans so in the "help each other out" spirit I have encountered with so many other aircooled enthusiasts I pulled my transmission and traded it to him for an IRS gearbox and other parts to do the swap. I wanted to do IRS originally so I am using this opportunity to do it while the truck is off the road plus he gets to drive his bus with a known good trans. First time this bus will be on the road in who knows how long! I believe the term for this is "mission creep." This is how my 91 BMW ended up with a V8, 6 speed, big brakes and completely repainted, started with a simple engine pull/ rebuild.

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Drove my bug out to the shop, it needed some miles after being stored since October. Swapped the bus wheels on that and cranked the front beam down a little more. Perfect!

Started lining up the lower a pillar sections and outer a pillar support pieces. Immediately noticed the inner valence curve does not match the headlight support peice. This caught my eye before but now that I have the brackets and lower a pillars in place it is more apparent. My question is: is the inner valence curve supposed to match the curve of the headlight support?

Using Kurts method of hanging the doors to keep an eye on the gap for when the doglegs go back in. Door Gap on the pass side is still looking good, what a bear it is to hang these doors by yourself!

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Gathering IRS swap parts, it's nice to have a good freind with a ton of fat chick and thing parts. Got a complete thing rear end to rob parts off of. So far I have a thing trans, axles, trailing arms and all the other bits and pieces to play with. In the Process of stripping, degreasing, rebuilding etc. moving along quite well with the IRS swap!

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Happy to have made some progress, I ordered the KF inner valence as I was having trouble making the WW brackets line up with the valence itself... its hard to describe but there is pressing on the back of the WW valence that makes it impossible for the brackets to sit flush and that in turn messed up the angle where the brackets met the frame rails. The KF one popped right on no problem. Not really a bad part from WW just something that I was tired of messing with. Lining up the lower doglegs proved to be a challenge but I have the outers sitting at a place I am comfortable with. I beat myself up over the fit of the passenger one until I got it as good as I could get it but the passenger door is messed up on the lower edge so that made it harder to line it up. On to the pics:

Gap sort of "opens" toward the front but the door is sitting slightly low towards the latch side so it should even out a little.

KF inner valence, fit is perfect.

This one turned out really nice, just took my time and removed metal with the wiz wheel after my initial cut to get the right fit.

DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

I haven't been wrecking my VWs especially my Split Bus lately. Been busy playing my guitars and covering those instrumental rock songs. But seeing your Single Cab gives me the reason now to revisit my VWs and drive then regularly!

BTW ~~ So So Cool Single Cab, Mate!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Got some major parts fitted and tacked last night. Forgot my welding helmet again so I couldn't weld these permanently and finish the welds. I got to a point where I just couldn't adjust the lower a pillars any more to get them to fit any better. I've heard even the best lower a pillar sections require some modification to work so I just went with my gut and fitted them to the best of my abilities. KF lower valence is an absolutely perfect fit BTW.

kafer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Looking good, I did the same on my 65. I used the KF inner valance and a WW outer and then installed a WW nose which was great. Have you measured how long the IRS axle need to be yet? I have to get the ones from Wolfgangs Int. (17") to make my IRS work. Keep up the good work
"The hardest part about business, is minding your own"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 24

Jump to: