Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First aircooled 65 single cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Thanks, I haven't measured but didn't know there were different lengths. I actually have to sell my thing trailing arms and get bug arms, I just found out the thing arms are longer and used for stock height IRS. Everything else thing-wise is ok to use so I'll keep the beefy thing stub axles and CV joints.

kafer60 wrote:
Looking good, I did the same on my 65. I used the KF inner valance and a WW outer and then installed a WW nose which was great. Have you measured how long the IRS axle need to be yet? I have to get the ones from Wolfgangs Int. (17") to make my IRS work. Keep up the good work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Got the valence and one outer rocker done today, I was tired of messing with the fitment of the outer rocker and just got it where I was ok with it and burned it in. When it came to the nose I made the decision to cut it just below curve where the little scalloped areas end for the wipers and trimmed the new panel to match, still a little trimming to go but it's looking good! I did not want to mess with the window frame just to get the complete nose on when my window frames are crisp and rust free. I want to get this thing back together and drive it!! The Miller 211 I got earlier in the year is a beast, used it on the autoset mode all day and it really impressed me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Making magic happen, Ryan!
What a long strange trip it’s been...which you’ll be continuing in solid style very soon! Keep us posted, looking good.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Making magic happen, Ryan!
What a long strange trip it’s been...which you’ll be continuing in solid style very soon! Keep us posted, looking good.

Hey thanks!

Trying to stay on this thing and get at least one small thing done here and there everytime I am out at the shop. Going pretty well and I just have to keep reminding myself that this isn't a concours restoration, just a "get it solid and drive" kinda thing. The last of my IRS stuff came in from Vintage warehouse so I have everything in my possession to get this thing buttoned up and back on the road. The shop around the corner from me has a spray booth and I am considered letting him shoot it in a semi flat velvet green when the metal work is done.
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Looking good!
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Made some progress yesterday, found the gray nose to be too narrow at the very top so I'm mulling over the idea of ordering a KF nose with lower windsheild frame. I've seen others with the same issue trying to use the gray nose panel. What a bummer after all that careful trimming etc. I moved on to the passenger inner dogleg and floor panel.

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Now I just have the opposite side dog leg to do and then the floor panel. All in all it went pretty smooth, the WW floor pans are a nice match to the factory, the contour on the ribbed area at the front is a little off but it wasnt enough to bother me. Just glad to not have a gaping hole in the floor anymore, at lease on one side. Now I just need a center section to make a patch panel, anyone got something laying around?
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Hey Ryan I cant believe I didn't see your build til now. Looking good!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words!
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Throwing in the towel on this nose panel, just too much work to make it fit and someone could use the metal for a project that doesnt need the entire section replaced.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2085639
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Rear trailing arms are done, pressed in new Bushings and bearings and sprayed them with some POR top coat. Thing trans and IRS will be done this Sunday come hell or high water!

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Pulled the front glass, frames are in perfect shape as I thought.

My barn fresh 912e and never ending father/ son 58 Volvo 444 project

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
Throwing in the towel on this nose panel, just too much work to make it fit and someone could use the metal for a project that doesnt need the entire section replaced.

You could make a vertical cut in about an inch from the sides where it is narrow and spread it to fit. Then weld a small piece in the gap.

Seems a shame to mess with a perfect windshield frame.

Nice work
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Don’t be denied, Ryan!
You’re making great progress, I hate to hear about the difficulties with the nose panel, you’ll figure it out.
Dogleg looks great, beats the hell out of my horrible blend work.
Keep it up sir, going to be a clean truck.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

I've thought about doing that, it doesn't need to be stretched out much. I've got all day Sunday to mess around with it so I'll stand around and think about it for a while. I'm stuck at this point between not messing with the frames but having to do a ton of welding, grinding, hammering then some filler when I would rather just chop the outer pillars as low as possible then put an entire nose on and be done with it. Minimal welding, grinding and filler and nearly all the welds can be just smoothed and then they are hidden by the glass seals.

sgellis wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

You could make a vertical cut in about an inch from the sides where it is narrow and spread it to fit. Then weld a small piece in the gap.

Seems a shame to mess with a perfect windshield frame.

Nice work
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

I *could* tack the nose all the way across, cut the ends and add the filler piece, tack those then if I don't like it I could cleanly cut off the nose and I would still have a usable piece for someone to buy. HMMMM Rolling Eyes
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

I think this guys method is really cool although it requires drilling on the OUTSIDE of the frames for the plug welds it doesnt force me to disrupt good metal around the frames.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164725
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
I think this guys method is really cool although it requires drilling on the OUTSIDE of the frames for the plug welds it doesnt force me to disrupt good metal around the frames.

I would definitely pick that over changing the lower frame. I have seen a few on here done that way. it is a pain to find the spot welds but they can be seen on the back side. You can try to drill out the spot weld and where you don't quite get then then grind from the back. You cant pry at all without bending the frame lip.

I had my dash out so was able to drill from the back side when removing my window frame.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

It looks clean and is the least intrusive thats for sure.

Gotta see if Klassic Fab has a panel in stock, maybe I'll go with that method and a KF nose.

sgellis wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

I would definitely pick that over changing the lower frame. I have seen a few on here done that way. it is a pain to find the spot welds but they can be seen on the back side. You can try to drill out the spot weld and where you don't quite get then then grind from the back. You cant pry at all without bending the frame lip.

I had my dash out so was able to drill from the back side when removing my window frame.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

No metal work today but trans is in, IRS is in and started running the wiring harness. Good productive day.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 24

Jump to: