Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First aircooled 65 single cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Greg had a pair in stock, they are headed my way. Might actually have the doors done this weekend if USPS doesn't drag their feet.

Realized I never tried the headlights after rebuilding them so I stuck a jump pack on yesterday and it really hit me just how close I am to pulling it out of the garage and going for a drive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Congrats she is tough as hell looking just catching that over cast! Cool Cool

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Drivers door window done, what a pain. Passenger side frame is complete, should be in tonight.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Passenger side on, glad to have these done.

Waiting on a big drop gate size crate from Bogata now!
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Love this thread, love every picture you post - this is my dream SC here.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Thank you, that means a lot!

I think the doors are going to need some more fine tuning to latch a little better but for now they shut ok. Need an extra set of hands to do that!
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

A lot to cover here since my last post (almost a year ago!)

Details

Nice OG rear emblem

One of these cool billet handles:

Front end all together

Rear coming together, lots and lots of tweaking, tapping, more tapping, etc.

Old nose on the wall, illuminated of course

First time 99.9% back together in who knows how long!!!

Cool shot from the other day

Ill get more posted as time allows, I found as the job got more tedious the less pictures I took so there aren't much from the last few sections I put together but all in all SHES BACK!
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

As time and money allows I will be pulling the rear IRS in favor of the Type E motorsports IRS as well as front disc brakes.

One more pic I forgot to post, big thanks to Tim at Volksbitz and Bill at Sparxwerks, they do amazing work, a real asset to this hobby!

**I know about the fuel filter location, my body line was plugged so this is here to see how much crud was left then its being moved below deck. I also need to fab the little metal vacuum line for the distributor so it doesn't flood. **
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

You have made this into an awesome truck, congrats Ryan!
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Cars and coffee

Busy garage shot

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:

Busy garage shot

Oh snap you're local! Did you drive that Porsche on the VW ferry cruise last spring?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

I did..... well the brown 912E not the red Targa Laughing

I was just lamenting how there are hardly any VW shows around here or aircooled people for that matter! Funny that you posted on here!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Yes, the brown one! I was there in the green "Ghiata." That was a fun day.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

that was a fun day, wish there was more stuff like that down here... cant stand this area in general though... got less than a year until I'm gone!! Very Happy
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Going back to a straight axle, IRS stuff is in the classifieds.

type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Why are you switching from IRS to straight axle? I just want to hear your opinion.
Was thinking about going IRS. I have done a handful of straight axle lowered buses.
Kb65single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Again, why are you switching to straight axle. Inquiring minds want to know. I was waiting for the conversion to the Type E conversion as I was considering that also.

Ken
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

The IRS kits off the shelf work well but that's about the lowest one can go without notching the trans cradle and frame rail, things I don't want to do to my truck. The type E kit eliminates all those problems with their really trick trailing arms but I simply did not want to sink any more money into the rear suspension when really all I want in the end is for it to sit lower. I had two gearboxes, axles, brakes and even modified axle tubes for a straight axle laying around so I really didn't have much to buy to swap it back either so that factored into the decision as well. If you want to go lower than where my truck sits and also want IRS buy the type E kit, there is no substitute. Trying to go really low with IRS in any other configuration just puts the geometry so out of whack it isn't worth it. Just depends on how low you wanna go and how deep your pockets are really!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: