Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heading West from Colorado Springs to Lake Tahoe
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulnav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Heading West from Colorado Springs to Lake Tahoe Reply with quote

In a few weeks, I will be heading West from Colorado Springs to Lake Tahoe. Any advice on whether to go through Wyoming then West, or 70W to start?

Thanks!
Paul
highaltidude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Heading West from Colorado Springs to Lake Tahoe Reply with quote

Depends on weather. And what tires (M+S?) you have. And what motor you have......

The I-70 route is prettier by far. But you have a couple of passes to climb. If there's snow, it can suck. Do you have tires that won't get you pulled over w Colorado's new winter "laws"? Will your motor pull the passes???

I-80 across Wyoming is boring. But it's usually an easy drive if the wind isn't too bad. Snow issues are worst between Cheyenne and Laramie.

Chuck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Heading West from Colorado Springs to Lake Tahoe Reply with quote

I always try to avoid I80 across Wyoming. In a Vanagon the headwinds are brutal! And it's seemingly constant.
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Heading West from Colorado Springs to Lake Tahoe Reply with quote

I've driven back from Utah via I-70 and then US 50, the so-called loneliest road. It's quite pretty, but there is definitely some climbing to do. My stock WBX with head gasket induced cooling issues did OK. It was a nice drive, except for when I needed to stop and puke coolant. Weather and road conditions would be most important in deciding which route to take.
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Heading West from Colorado Springs to Lake Tahoe Reply with quote

Check out I-70/US 6 or I-70/US 50. I prefer both of those routes to going I-80. Even though google says they take longer, google doesn't know that I can't drive 80mph the whole way, so the lower speed limits on US 6 or US 50 don't really make them slower. The range and basin topography through Nevada can be quite stunning.

US 6 was the longest highway in the country until California renumbered its highways. It is also called the Grand Army of the Republic Highway, kind of funny/star wars-y.

US 50 is the Loneliest Road in America and really feels that way through Nevada. Watch out for the Shoe Tree, a huge cottonwood with hundreds if not thousands of pairs of shoes hanging in it.

Also, there are a lot of great hotsprings to check out as you near the Sierras. We free camped near Travertine Hot Springs after having a soak in them right near Bridgeport, CA. If you go, one tip is to pull out the tennis ball plug that is in the little cement pool, let it drain and then put it back in and wait the 30 mins or so for it to refill. That will make the water much warmer for your soak.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Heading West from Colorado Springs to Lake Tahoe Reply with quote

Last year I did Salt Lake to Tahoe. 95 between 80 and 50 was windy and dusty. Winnemuca has good pulled pork sandwiches next to the Super 8.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Heading West from Colorado Springs to Lake Tahoe Reply with quote

tim_ha wrote:
US 6 was the longest highway in the country until California renumbered its highways. It is also called the Grand Army of the Republic Highway, kind of funny/star wars-y.

It's actually post-Civil War-sy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Army_of_the_Republic

Weather and time permitting I'd do U.S. 50 for the drive. I've not driven that stretch of I-70 but have been blizzarded on I-80 in March.
highaltidude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Heading West from Colorado Springs to Lake Tahoe Reply with quote

Not sure when you were going to make this drive....
But there was a rock slide Feb 16th on I-70, in Glenwood Canyon I believe. I-70 is fully closed there until the 18th, and then there will be delays for some time (a month?).

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29522393/rock-slide-near-glenwood-springs-closes-i-70

This should give you the most up to date info.....
http://www.cotrip.org/home.htm

Chuck
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Heading West from Colorado Springs to Lake Tahoe Reply with quote

for sure go hwy 50 its a great drive, pm me and I can give you beta on a couple amazing hot springs on the way. I just did the drive about 4 months ago...great basin park, the hot springs, even berlin-ichtiosaur state park. So much to see.
definately be prepared for snow and ice, no matter the route you can run into some rough weather this time of year.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: