Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first stroker -- it lives!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

Thank you. I think I've graduated to the 130hp+ club, the car pulls pretty good.

140 mains are still rich, but it's smooth with no lean spots.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

Congrats. Go have fun
Rev

[youtube]AXwGVXD7qEQ[/youtube]
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

They are working. Wow, initial impression with 44IDFs is they are so much smoother.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

Get some velocity stacks on them. And the tallest filter you can. Then enjoy the sounds! The really nice thing is the sounds are real, not piped in by the radio like the new cars do. Wink
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

Yeah, that knock freaked me out when I first built this thing. It does sound clattery when it's cold, but quiets down later -- could it be piston skirts? In any case, it hasn't blown up so far and it does have a couple of thousand miles on it. This video is literally within seconds of firing it up.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

rod knock? or need valves adjusted? other than that sounds good. try adjusting them the preload method that usualy makes that knock go away. then go have fun with it.
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

I know, it's been mentioned before. There is no blow-by at all from behind the pulley, so I'm just leaving it be for the time-being. The stock breather on filler tube does have a road draft tube.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

The breather to the fuel pump isn't going to do anything, will actually probably hurt something.
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

New project: I picked up a cheap set of Italian 44IDFs from eBay. They were really cruddy, moisture-damaged and shafts had some rust on them. After a lot of cleaning and tinkering, they are actually working. 36mm vents, F7 tubes, 55 idles, 145 mains and 200 airs for now. New toys to tinker with.

Link

Stan
My budget 2276 build
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

Torben is a smart guy!
The spraybar has no aux vent, normally the aux vent reaches UP to an area of larger diameter, but the spraybar does not, so his mod is VERY necessary!
The model 40-idf-70 has small aux vent, same as 36 idf, but other models of 40mm weber are different, and use the same top size as 44 idf.
Actually, it's the same way with dells. I have run all of them on the same engine. 32 vents in the 40idf-70 DID work, with 140 main, 220 air, f-15 tubes, but it works a whole lot nicer in the 40idf-78/79 I have on it now. I could go up to 34mm no problem.

I guess it does not have to be 75%, perhaps 80-75, and I don[t believe in tapered stacks, I think straight is better, but there are multiple right and wrong ways.
The aux vent ID is about 38mm
38x.8=30.4, so, make them 30.4!
I've thought about removing most of the circle of the aux vent, and leaving just 1/2" wide areas for the set screw and fuel passage.......Dellorto had some like this.
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

Yes, I do understand that. I'd have the tops machined to taper from 44mm at the top to 41mm at the bottom -- like a funnel. I'd also need the 44IDF velocity stacks. At least that's how I'm understanding this right now.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

I made 32īs myself, - or rather I had them manufactured.

If you are going to try it out you will not get full benefit of the kit if you do not modify the carb toip as I explained, 32 or 34 mm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

modok wrote:

My current belief is the venturi should be 75% diameter of the top bore, but it's not very well proven yet

30 * 100 / 40 = 75. I've had ok results with 30mm vents in these 40IDFs, I keep going back to them. Could be a fluke, but in Kadrons I also chose 30mm over 28mm and 32mm.

Torben's idea with CB Update kit got me pretty interested. But I see it sold with 34mm venturies -- did it used to come with 32s?

Stan
My budget 2276 build
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

stan_tichomirov wrote:
Here is a crappy video of cruising in 4th gear up a slight hill at around 65-70MPH, and flooring it to almost 80MPH. 48 idles, 143 mains and 200 airs on 30mm vents, few hundred feet from sea level. Keep in mind I have a .82 4th with 4.12.

Link

Stan

I have a stock 69 trans(don't remember the ratios off the top of my head), but I really enjoy the sound of the 44IDF's @ 80mph and then rolling into them till full throttle! You should try it some time, you'll like it. Very Happy

Last edited by ps2375 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

Thank you. Yes, Ken is the Man! Phone is tough, I just go over there. You could try leaving a message, or sometimes Ken may even pick up, but I stopped calling a while ago. (650) 622-9785. Try to swing by with the case. 140 Harbor Blvd, San Carlos, CA 94070, the entrance is in the back.

Watch out for the pole Laughing

Stan
My budget 2276 build
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

Nice work dude. sounds tedious but worth it!

BTW, you have jansen do your machine work? do they have a real phone number that works? or a website? these guys are like ghosts Confused

i work out in sf and s. SF all the time and wanted to see about having some machine work done, it would be nice to have them check out my block i have sitting here...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

Thank you. Tires are 195/65/15s btw, all 4.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

THE FORCE IS STRONG Very Happy

And you NOT wasting your time.
The weber IDF/ida is a classic. Your not wasting your time "messing" with it. IMO, evidence supports it is the best candidate of it's kind to be selected for further evolution, so your not polishing the turd, your are hoping to perfect a masterpiece and more likely you will mainly learn FROM it, but possibly improve it a little Very Happy

My current belief is the venturi should be 75% diameter of the top bore, but it's not very well proven yet
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

Here is a crappy video of cruising in 4th gear up a slight hill at around 65-70MPH, and flooring it to almost 80MPH. 48 idles, 143 mains and 200 airs on 30mm vents, few hundred feet from sea level. Keep in mind I have a .82 4th with 4.12.

Link

Stan
My budget 2276 build
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My first stroker -- it lives! Reply with quote

Thank you, that actually helps alot. I am familiar with how this carb/exhaust setup behaved with the 1835 on a wideband, and there it was very easy to make it read rich at WOT.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: