Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

I wonder if the autonomous car algorithms will have user definable profile settings. Settings like "always swerve for squirrels", "never yield to smaller cars", "always drive in the left lane", and "grandma mode".

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

You could argue that was a cyclist and in this area has every right to be in the roadway. Never ride the new ride the first year, amusement park 101.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

I haven't seen the road area around the accident. It isn't jaywalking just because you aren't in a crosswalk. There are other rules involved that may affect liability.

Roll tape.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Outside of the media hype, it really does not matter if a machine kills a person, as long as the machine kills less than a human operator. Orders will keep rolling in as insurance companies make the necessary adjustments to your premiums. But hey, people can text,read, and pull bong hits while being paraded around town. It will catch on very fast, especially with the elderly ( and they have the money ).
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
It will catch on very fast, especially with the elderly ( and they have the money ).

Boy, I'm glad you told me that. Shocked
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
I wonder if the autonomous car algorithms will have user definable profile settings. Settings like "always swerve for squirrels"

Hopefully the engineers will adopt the philosophy that I have taught my kids, if it fits in a skillet, kill it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Dashcam footage is out (doesn't show impact, but right up to it) - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43497364

Seems almost certain a human driver would have hit her.
Police have said Uber likely not at fault http://fortune.com/2018/03/19/uber-self-driving-car-crash/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/20/us/self-driving-uber-pedestrian-killed.html
Would appear to be a really bad place to try to cross, esp. at night

Will be interesting to see if Uber releases a report on this, their sensors are supposed to be able to track objects even in the dark. And that was a large obstacle to miss.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Yeah.. ^.. a few factors... and from the information and videos release now.. there were at least 3 things at fault..

The non attentive driver... well...wheel monitor..
The cyclist crossing in one hell of a bad shadowed spot.. PLUS dark clothes..no reflective gear etc..
The lack of vehicle self crash avoidance time.. and or proper monitoring.
I would think an IR or heat detector should have picked up body heat and movement WAY before the crash..

I'd also feel .. an average driver would have had the same accident too.
Just not enough time to react.. ..

The argument.. Maybe .. just maybe.... if a good driver was paying attention.. a flash of light or movement.. may have alerted them..

I know the GM "Super Cruise" has a driver monitoring system.. It can detect if your head is turned or eyes are down.. and will alert and deactivate.. if the driver is not attentive.. that plus.. It would have never activated on the freeway in this type of area..
No defense.. I still don't like the idea of it all..

Put the phone down people.. and drive ya damn vehicle.. Mad

Link

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

I agree with your assessment. I'd like to see the driver and dash cam footage side by side synced in time. That way I can judge how much reaction time the "driver" lost due to looking down (probably at his phone). It's hard to judge that when seeing one video after the other.

Car headlights, especially the e-code patterned units, are biased to avoid glare to oncoming drivers when on dipped beam:

The cyclist was smack dab in the dark zone. I think this made an accident inevitable even with an attentive driver. The car's LIDAR had a better chance, but it probably couldn't see through the clutter caused by the foliage.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

She was WALKING the bicycle. At least her shoes were white.

I nominate her for the Darwin award.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
(probably at his phone).

Wait.. hold on...... Anxious that's a dude??

Think

Crikey...!!

Laughing

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
(probably at his phone).

Think

Crikey...!!

Laughing

Wait!!! You thought that was a woman?!?

Link

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Kinda looks like Vince Neil - Motley Crue!
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
(probably at his phone).

Laughing

Wait!!! You thought that was a woman?!?

Yep..

And I quote..
Mayhem News wrote:

"Dashcam video was released Wednesday night showing the dramatic and deadly crash of a self-driving Uber SUV in Arizona — as the woman (Rafaela Vasquez) operating the vehicle had her head down."

I saw long hair pulled back and moving with a big head... and what resembles boobs .... Geezz... Anxious

... I'm out on that one....

Add it to the list of why no way in hell I'd ever use an Uber ...
It's bad enough I have to work on rolling dumpsters for a living..

Doubt Id do the AirBnB either....

Usually and often edited
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Hah! I thought that long hair was part of a hoodie. Laughing That makes my video clip even funnier.

Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

I thought it was a woman too.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
I'd also feel .. an average driver would have had the same accident too.
Just not enough time to react.. ..

That accident was local, and has been on all the news programs for several days now. I have seen this several times, and I don't think any driver could've avoided her, she appeared so suddenly.

Understand that she was walking the bicycle, but even if it had been a crosswalk, she should've been smart enough to see the car's headlights and wait until clear !!!

When I taught my kids to cross the streets at traffic lights (with "walk" signals) and ride bicycles, the #1 Rule was: assume that NO DRIVER EVER SEES YOU. And when I ride my own bicycle I also follow this advice. A few years ago Mrs. Cusser and I were pedestrians (72nd Place & Shea in Scottsdale, for the locals) to cross Shea, the light/walk signal turned green for us to cross, and Mrs. Cusser stepped into the street as a vehicle on Shea ran the red light at about 40mph; I grabbed Mrs. Cusser and pulled her back to the curb and actually saved her. Luckily for her that was before the Discover Card bill arrived...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

My SO has a dash cam in her car.
When I drive, it's no on, or not in the car.
I don't want video of what I/We were doing leading up to, during, or after a crash.
Could that person have stopped the Auto-driving car from hitting the pedestrian, I don't know.
But I am damned sure some Lawyer is going to use that video against the person operating the Auto-driving car.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
My SO has a dash cam in her car.
When I drive, it's no on, or not in the car.
I don't want video of what I/We were doing leading up to, during, or after a crash.
Could that person have stopped the Auto-driving car from hitting the pedestrian, I don't know.
But I am damned sure some Lawyer is going to use that video against the person operating the Auto-driving car.

Huh. I've put dashcams in all my vehicles, figure they're cheap insurance against other drivers. There's no he-said-she-said with video evidence.

In this case it may have saved Uber some additional grief, the video made it clear that the pedestrian was not crossing safely.

I actually feel a little for the Uber 'driver', when the self-driving car you're supposed to be monitoring works 99.9% of the time it's hard to be prepared for the 3 seconds it doesn't. And in this case it probably wouldn't have mattered.
She still shouldn't have been playing with her cellphone or whatever she was looking at that wasn't the road..
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Seems odd that the pedestrian did not see the car's headlights coming or hear the car approaching. There wasn't a lot of traffic. It would have been natural for her to wait until there were no cars coming, or run across if she was in a hurry. But she seems to have been walking at a brisk but still walking pace.

I recall seeing another self-driving Volvo video at a car dealership where it nearly ran over some salesmen. This is not good PR for Volvo.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: