Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Seems odd that the pedestrian did not see the car's headlights coming or hear the car approaching.

It's Arizona.

79SuperVert wrote:
It would have been natural for her to wait until there were no cars coming, or run across if she was in a hurry.

It's Arizona.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Seems odd that the pedestrian did not see the car's headlights coming or hear the car approaching. There wasn't a lot of traffic. It would have been natural for her to wait until there were no cars coming, or run across if she was in a hurry. But she seems to have been walking at a brisk but still walking pace.

I recall seeing another self-driving Volvo video at a car dealership where it nearly ran over some salesmen. This is not good PR for Volvo.

I don't know the truth but I saw people saying she was a homeless person with a record of drug use and may have been not fully aware of her surroundings at the time.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

The point.....that most of you who are saying this accident is not very significant and that accidents happen.....are not getting......is that there are maybe 1000 driverless cars being tested give or take.

And percentage wise.....in a sea of 20-30 MILLION vehicles that are not driverless......the 34+ accidents this piddling fleet of test vehicles has had since 2014......puts them at an accident rate of about 5-6X that of vehicles with drivers.

And.....even though in most cases the accidents have been the fault of the "attendant" driver......in most cases the accident would not have happened if the "attendant" had been actually driving and not vaguely attending to a sub system. The effect is not far off texting and driving.

The very first accident was the Google car 4 years ago. That car.....had 360 small cameras mounted to give it overlapping fields of vision to create "digital" depth of field to work with its software.

No one hae yet explained how the vision systems on these vehicles will work in sleet, rain, sjow, mud and dust. No one has yet figured out how the logic can work with wear in suspension parts that have no sensors.

Not against self driving cars at all.....but its FAR too early to say they are working.....or coming anytime soon.

And....if a car needs an "attendant" behind the wheel.....whats the point?
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

No one hae yet explained how the vision systems on these vehicles will work in sleet, rain, sjow, mud and dust. No one has yet figured out how the logic can work with wear in suspension parts that have no sensors.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm guessing these cars detect the side of the road by using the white line, but what if it's covered by snow? What if there's a heavy rain and water is running down the side of the road? My mom has a new Subaru which will correct her if she goes "off course" by "reading" the white and yellow lines, but if she's on a back road where there are no lines it will not correct itself. Can bright lights or the glare from the sun affect the "vision" of these cars? Lots of questions.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Can bright lights or the glare from the sun affect the "vision" of these cars? Lots of questions.

yes

Volvo's BLIS system is prone to go off when there is a reflection from say...a puddle or wet pavement.

not to mention these cameras have heaters to keep the fog down and they burn up....plus they need to be washed/maintained....do you really think the public at large will do that, or pay to have it done?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

My opinion is that, with the exception of a small number of people, self driving cars will not be privately owned. Think of Uber on a large scale.

Rather than own a car, hit the app button on your phone, a self driving car pulls up within a minute, takes you were you need to go and leaves. When it's time to go home, hit the app button again and a car appears to take you home. Kinda of like personalized mass transit.

What the car companies haven't figured out or are not telling us, is that the number of vehicles sold per year is going to drop off a cliff, and with that the extended economy (jobs) based on the auto industry.

Having said all of that; I barely trust my PC with my personal info, why the hell would I get into a self driving car.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Not sure that car production will drop. I think the future for car companies is to become car suppliers. They will make, distribute, maintain, replace and dispose of the millions of self-driving cars that will someday be transporting old geezers like me when I'm 80 and too old to drive, not to mention young people who will never learn to drive because they don't need to: they have the app! I think that if anything, there are going to be more people employed in the self-driving transportation business in the future than there are now making automobiles.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Uber told to stop testing driverless tech in az
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/uber-told-to-stop-testing-driverless-tech-in-arizona/?amp=1
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

.do you really think the public at large will do that, or pay to have it done?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Um that's a Negative Ghost Rider... ...

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Wasn't Herbie self-driving??? And manual transmission yet !!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Arizona Governor stopped the use of self driving Uber cars. He will decide when if ever they get to start retesting

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

"While Waymo, Google’s autonomous vehicle project, was able to drive almost 5,600 miles last year without driver intervention, Uber’s self-driving cars weren’t able to meet its target goal of 13 miles per intervention as of March."
"Cruise [GM] reported to California regulators that it went more than 1,200 miles per intervention."
https://jalopnik.com/uber-s-autonomous-test-cars-lagged-behind-competitors-b-1824047353

Looks like Uber was running a vastly inferior product on public roads..
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

.do you really think the public at large will do that, or pay to have it done?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Um that's a Negative Ghost Rider... ...

10-4 ratchet spinner

Working on an adaptive cruise issue now...deer hit car. FSM is 1k (forward sensing module). 3 hours in now....owner going to pull the plug on the repair....I ca.n feel it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Not sure that car production will drop.

Cars on average sit idle 95% of the time. A fleet of on-demand rides will be used much more intensively, needing far fewer total vehicles.

79SuperVert wrote:
I think the future for car companies is to become car suppliers.
This is exactly what they don't want, and why they are all working so hard to get ahead of the technology. GM wants to be a transportation provider, from the app on down. They don't want to be the lowest bidder to supply Google or Uber with transportation pods that will wear their brands.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
"While Waymo, Google’s autonomous vehicle project, was able to drive almost 5,600 miles last year without driver intervention, Uber’s self-driving cars weren’t able to meet its target goal of 13 miles per intervention as of March."
"Cruise [GM] reported to California regulators that it went more than 1,200 miles per intervention."
https://jalopnik.com/uber-s-autonomous-test-cars-lagged-behind-competitors-b-1824047353

Looks like Uber was running a vastly inferior product on public roads..

Seems like it. I don't know the Uber details, but Waymo computers are much, much safer than human drivers, as measured by deaths and at-fault accidents. Waymo cars do tend to attract human-caused fender benders, by doing unexpected things like driving the speed limit and coming to a complete stop at stop signs. Maybe they'll get more sophisticated and go five over and roll stop signs unless they see a cop, like humans do.

Looking at the video, it's clear the women couldn't have been saved by a human driver. But it's disappointing the autonomous system didn't do better. She was hidden by the darkness, but she came across two lanes before getting hit, and the LiDAR should have seen her and allowed some action to be taken. I'd like to see that scenario recreated by Waymo and GM to see how they'd do.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Fully autonomous cars could not be owned by a driver, the liability for failing to properly maintain it would be crushing to the builder,insurer,licensing agent. Cars that are hybrid autonomous/human may be subject to mandatory safety inspections. Order by phone, get in,relax , arrive and its all neatly deducted from your account in the upcoming 5G brave new world . Soma anyone ?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

I saw this article and apparently it's not really as dark in that area as the original video shows:
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/police-chief-...elieve-it/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

I still cannot understand why the woman either did NOT see the headlights or saw the Uber and still figured it would be a good idea to cross????

Cameras oftentimes show an image much lighter than the human eye, they say this all the time on TV golf where the tournament goes to extra holes or a rainy day in baseball.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Oooooooops

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
Seems odd that the pedestrian did not see the car's headlights coming or hear the car approaching. There wasn't a lot of traffic. It would have been natural for her to wait until there were no cars coming, or run across if she was in a hurry. But she seems to have been walking at a brisk but still walking pace.

I recall seeing another self-driving Volvo video at a car dealership where it nearly ran over some salesmen. This is not good PR for Volvo.

I don't know the truth but I saw people saying she was a homeless person with a record of drug use and may have been not fully aware of her surroundings at the time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: