Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power windows - Why are they always switched on?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Power windows - Why are they always switched on? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

91 Vanagon. I noticed the power window switches are always lit, even without the key in the ignition. I'm concerned about the battery drainage...
Is this normal ? Shouldn't the power windows work only with key in ignition or engine running ?
Or is there a way to get rid of those lights (after all, being able to use the windows without key in ignition can be convenient) ?

Thanks for your advice

JB
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on ? Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
sorry
that shouldn't be Laughing
someone switched the power wire at the fuse block...easy fix
use the search, this is a well discussed situation
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on ? Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct that the illumination shouldn't be on full time. Someone probably installed the trigger wire for the relay(attached to the top of the fuse box) in the wrong place on the back of the fuse box. You will need to look for previous owner "improvements" or changes to the correct wiring of the circuit.
Good luck.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on ? Reply with quote

Simple answer?

Having the power windows only able to operate with the key on is kind of a PITA in certain situations.

Camping for instance ........

While a key being required is the norm, I totally get why someone would make the change.

That being said, it is simply a matter of tracing the power wire and returning it to it's proper location.

Maybe later I'll pull my Bentley and see what color wires feed the window switch if that will help you figure this out.
Buying a Bentley that covers your model year will be a really good idea for future repairs and trouble shooting.
Carry it with you in the Van so that when trouble strikes on the road..... The book can help you or whoever is fixing your Van.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on ? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
... Having the power windows only able to operate with the key on is kind of a PITA in certain situations.

Camping for instance ........

While a key being required is the norm ...

It is possible to move the windows without the key in an OG Vanagon.

Light switch on, pull up on the highbeam lever, move the windows, don't forget to turn the lights off

Maybe not a good idea to be turning on your highbeams at night in the campground.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on ? Reply with quote

The light stalk short cut to use the power windows has produced problems for several and is no longer advised according to previous threads.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on ? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
The light stalk short cut to use the power windows has produced problems for several and is no longer advised according to previous threads.

I wasn't aware that it had caused problems. Thanks for the heads up. Any links those threads?

Aloha
tp
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on ? Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
For the record, I fried a fuse and melted another wire under my dash using this trick last Fall. I have 100 Amp x 4 highbeams, so that may be the reason if it bypassed my highpower headlight relay. I officially do not recommend doing this and would instead advise to use the key in or rewire the window switch using the Jetta switch version.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319668

The guy that told him how to do it has told me not to do it as well.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on ? Reply with quote

Hi folks

I found the diagram in the Bentley (97.190), I guess someone plugged the the relay on the permanent + (track 30). I'll take a look later today, I'll let you know.

Two questions :

1/ Can I get rid of the lights inside the switches ? I opened a switch once, was never able to put it back together properly.

2/ so I get it right, the track X refers to equipments that are on when ignition is on or engine running, but turned off when starter is cranking (load reduction) ?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on ? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

Two questions :

1/ Can I get rid of the lights inside the switches ?

No, when the power window system has power the lights are on.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
2/ so I get it right, the track X refers to equipments that are on when ignition is on or engine running, but turned off when starter is cranking (load reduction) ?

Correct. X circuit = load reduction = power is cut to those components on the X circuit when key is turned to "start".
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on ? Reply with quote

Which means I need to solve this.

I checked the wiring on relay 24, seems consistent with what the Bentley diagram indicates (relay triggered by black/yellow wire).

I noticed that when I reconnect the battery, relay 8 (that is load reduction relay) clicks. Is that normal ? From what I understand from the Bentley, it isn't. (97.211, track 89).

I measured the following current draws :
Load Reduction Relay (n.8 ) unplugged : 0 mA Smile
Load Reduction Relay plugged, Power window relay unplugged : 17 mA Confused
Both relays plugged in : 37 mA Sad

Why would my Load Reduction Relay be always switched on ? any ideas ? The ignition switch is in good shape from what I can see...
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on? Reply with quote

I'd think that the PO rewired the power window circuit so it can be operated with the ignition OFF...

I'd think the P terminal was used instead of the G (G1/G3)

the G terminal is hot only when the ignition is ON

the P terminal is hot all the time

look at the back of the fuse board to see if there's any modif there...
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on? Reply with quote

seems handy to have the windows operable with no key in the switch, but power drain is an issue, I'd remove the light bulbs and thus solve the drain issue while retaining the ability to operate the windows with no key.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
I'd think that the PO rewired the power window circuit so it can be operated with the ignition OFF...

I'd think the P terminal was used instead of the G (G1/G3)

the G terminal is hot only when the ignition is ON

the P terminal is hot all the time

look at the back of the fuse board to see if there's any modif there...

I checked, it is properly wired to G1 (black/yellow wire).
Like I wrote in my last post, the problem seems to come from the Load Reduction Relay, which is always hot (and shouldn't, right ? ).

bluebus86 wrote:
seems handy to have the windows operable with no key in the switch, but power drain is an issue, I'd remove the light bulbs and thus solve the drain issue while retaining the ability to operate the windows with no key.

Yes but to remove the bulbs you have to open the switch, and I'm not sure I can close them again...
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on ? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
The ignition switch is in good shape from what I can see...

Unless you removed the switch and broke it open, you do not know if the switch is, in fact, still good. Wink

Pull the X relay out, get a test light (or VOM), and turn the key to "on". There should be voltage at socket 86. Turn the key off; there should be no voltage at socket 86.

Another test: Pull the relay stamped 53 and temporarily put it in position 8 and do your current draw test again. If no draw, X relay is probably faulty (86 could be shorted to 30).
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on? Reply with quote

Found the culprit ! It's.... the... ignition switch.

By testing voltage on X relay socket 86 as suggested by kamzcab, i noticed the voltage flickering when I touched the key.
I then tested the ignition switch, and indeed, when key is in OFF position, I still have current on the X terminal.
I tested that switch two months ago, worked fine, that's why I dismissed it originally. Lesson learned.

I'll do like many people on this forum and buy two, and keep the spare in the Van. Any brand you recommend ? Or recommend not buying ?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Found the culprit ! It's.... the... ignition switch.

I tested that switch two months ago, worked fine, that's why I dismissed it originally. Lesson learned.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VicVan wrote:
I'll do like many people on this forum and buy two, and keep the spare in the Van. Any brand you recommend ? Or recommend not buying ?

Like most electrical components these days, it's a crapshoot. Just be sure to keep a spare in the van for when (not if) the replacement fails.
2016 Golf GTI S
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on? Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your help !
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Power windows - Why are they always switched on? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Thanks everybody for your help !

your battery will no last longer once you have this fixed. parasitic current draw can shorten a battery life a good deal, specially if the vehicle sits for many days between uses. batteries don't like to be discharged and sit, it shortens their service life (I had a parasitic drain in a 914 that killed batteries, the battery would die after a couple weeks of not driving, and its life was drastically cut short. took a while to find the current draw, the fuse panel was missed wired (love the prior owner) and some relays where always on. it appears it was prior owner's work around for dead relay, and it caused another relay to be always on.

happy fix for you.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: