Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What master cylinder w/ CB perf disc brakes?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: What master cylinder w/ CB perf disc brakes? Reply with quote

I have the CB Performance 5 wide disc brake set up for the front of my 63 bug. But, I am having a problem figuring out which Master cylinder I should use. I asked CB Perf, and they sent me a 67+ model one. But, that is a tandem cylinder with 2 inputs, and 4 outputs. In order to use it, I'm going to need a new reservior, and a new set of lines going to the rear.

Does any place sell a 19mm piston in the "older" style master cylinder?

If you have these brakes, what did you do??

Thanks in advance,

Erik
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sc58vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same kit as you and when I asked cb about the m/c they sent me the same one it sounds like they sent to you. I have not yet got around to installing all of this yet. maybe you can find some more info about it here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59609&highlight=master+cylinder

We disscussed this a while ago and from what I understand the m/c I have will work I did purchase a new dual res for the setup. I guess the big deal is having the 19mm piston in there.
cswi9367
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on an early car, like u said, you will need to convert to 67+ model MC. on a 67 + car, ther is one line to the rear, and then it T splits near the frame horn of the car with the T brass fitting. (I believe yours is the same way) In the front, there is a line that comes out each way. So a total of 3 outputs for hard lines (2 front, 1 rear). The older MC’s were different, you shouldn’t have to change too much. The rear line from stock should work for you, and the fronts should be the only think you will have to change and they are easy, and very easy to get to especially if you have your tank out to change the MC anyway. Now, the reservoir is a dual output to go into the dual input MC. U will need to get that reservoir, and custom mount it somewhere, that shouldn’t be a problem , just make sure its above the MC in height of the car so it can drain downhill. Make sure u use the blue line like everyone sells and shows, because normal line will eat away from the inside.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. I remembered seeing that, and I search for it too using "disc", not "disk", so I didn't find it on my own....I apologize in advance to all the forum cops out there!

cswi9367 wrote:
So a total of 3 outputs for hard lines (2 front, 1 rear).

Take a look at this picture....doesn't that look like there are 2 outputs for the front AND two for the rear?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Someone asked in an earlier message if they could just "plug" one of the rear lines. How are you supposed to hook that up with running a new line all the way to the rear?

Thanks-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cswi9367
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at that pic, yu are referring to. it shows 5 holes.

here, i will help you

starting from left to right:

one pointing up goes to the pass front wheel,
one pointing at us goes to driver front wheel,
one pointing down goes to the brake light switch for front

NOW, on the right side:

one pointing at us goes to the rear, then splits with a bronze T,
one pointing down goes to the brake light switch for rear
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cswi9367
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

older cars have on light swithc , so thats is why your thinking you see two outlets to each front and rear. though....i would jsut get two new light switches, put them in, and wire them together. no biggy. just split your light wire that went from your original switch, and split into two, and wire to each switch. i would think this would be a better way rather than plugging it. nay other ?'s, let me know. i will get you your pix tonite, or tomorrow. good luck
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks! The point about dual brakelight switches was throwing me off. Thanks-
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dual master cylinder is deffinately the way to go for safety sake. On my 64 I hid a newer style rectangular reservoir behind the passenger side plate behind the spare tire. The original reservoir is just there for show.

On the 63 I'm building I bought a 1967 US spec reservoir. It looks identicle to the stock reservoir for my 63 and fits into the stock location but it has 2 outlets for the 2 lines that feed the master cylinder.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Envious wrote:
On the 63 I'm building I bought a 1967 US spec reservoir. It looks identicle to the stock reservoir for my 63 and fits into the stock location but it has 2 outlets for the 2 lines that feed the master cylinder.

That sounds like a really good setup!
cswi9367
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i wish i could find a 67 reservoir, along with the screw on line holders. i cant find them anywhere.
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great. The 64 vert looks ok but a lot of extra work compared to the 63. The biggest problem was finding the reservoir from a 67. Worth the effort though. Looks great. I've also added a proportioning valve and line lock to the 63 as well.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Envious-

Does your 67 reservoir look like this?

That is bigger than the OG one in my 63, which looks like this:

How did you get it to fit correctly?

Thanks-
cswi9367
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 67 reservoir does not look like that, mine is sort of like that, but the two valves come out on the longer side, rather than the shorter side. will get you a picture tomorrow. what are you doing with those two black threaded pieces and the 5 or so inches of hard line? if you want, im REALLY interested in them.
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used that picture from the classifieds:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.php?alert+200401242035453648
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: