Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with Speedhut oil temp sender location
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Help with Speedhut oil temp sender location Reply with quote

I am in the process of hooking up (trying to) my new Speedhut gauges (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7656744) and ran into a roadblock...

This is the temperature sender Speedhut included in the package, along with an adapter:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was going to mount it along with the oil pressure sender with a T-fitting below the coil as I see thats how most on the forum have done it however the length of the sensor doesn't allow it to fit in the T-fitting.

Any suggestions??? Can I trim down the length of the sensor to make it fit in the T-fitting? Is there anywhere else I can mount the temperature sender? If so pictures showing location would be appreciated.

Cheers,
CWAT
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Speedhut oil temp sender location Reply with quote

I run Speedhud gauges and opted to install the oil temp sensor in the pressure relief plug.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VDO-300F-Oil-Temp-Sending-Unit-18-X-1-5mm-p/v323064.htm

cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Speedhut oil temp sender location Reply with quote

Will another temperature sender work with the Speedhut gauge? Included sender includes wire to gauge, both ends have connectors on them already.

While looking around the case I just noticed this location... under the dipstick/cylinder two. Has an old plug/sensor from previous owner.

Can I install the temperature sender here? I believe it is called the block off plate. Is it deep enough to accept the long Speedhut probe?

Cheers,
CWAT

Last edited by cwat1982 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Speedhut oil temp sender location Reply with quote

I "think" the Speedhut sender can be shortened up to the machined groove - check the instructions on this.
You could try a large NPT size Tee fitting, maybe 3'8" size? That'll provide more interior room and overall size for the sender. You just have to adapt back down to 1/8NPT for all the connections.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Speedhut oil temp sender location Reply with quote

cwat1982 wrote:
Will another temperature sender work with the Speedhut gauge? Included sender includes wire to gauge, both ends have connectors on them already.

While looking around the case I just noticed this location... under the dipstick/cylinder two. Has an old plug/sensor from previous owner.

Can I install the temperature sender here? I believe it is called the block off plate. Is it deep enough to accept the long Speedhut probe?

Cheers,
CWAT

That looks like a filler plug plate. Yes you will be fine locating it there.
Pull that out and weld in a threaded "bung" on the plate and screw your sensor in. Good to go!

Bung.....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=threaded+bung&s...mp;bih=817
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008

Last edited by Glasser on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Speedhut oil temp sender location Reply with quote

I don't have speedhut equipment but here goes;

I think your adapter is for one of your oil pressure relief plugs on the bottom of your motor. That's a good mounting location.

The tapped cover/plug you show in the picture of your engine would also be a good spot. It is where an oil filler tube would attach in a pancake motor and is just blocked off in an upright.

You'll get false low(er) oil temp readings if you mount the sensor in the tee off the pressure sensor plug. Don't put it there.
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Speedhut oil temp sender location Reply with quote

cwat1982 wrote:
Will another temperature sender work with the Speedhut gauge?

I run the VDO sender and it's working fine with my Speedhut gauge.
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Speedhut oil temp sender location Reply with quote

Thank Vincent, Wythac, and Glasser... appreciate the input.

I'll drain down the oil and install it on the block off plate.

Hahahaha... Glasser, I can see you have full understanding of my mechanical skills. Gaining more and more as I continue to tinker.

Cheers,
CWAT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: