Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cruising Route 66
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

How fun. Love the pics.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Went cruising again today and used the dealer for a backdrop.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

On the old bridge looking at the new one.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

This thread is fantastic. Very Happy
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Got off the beaten path today onto old U.S. 64 which intersects Route 66. Last week it rained about 5 inches here and yesterday was a repeat and more is on the way later this week. I picked a time when the rains had subsided and ended up at a park south of town. This park is unique and you'll see why if you zoom in on the plaque. That twisted I beam is also a vivid reminder of what happened. I did record beginning and ending mileage, looks like I logged 71 miles.

Starting miles

Ending miles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Up north today near airport looking at a plane that's only 19 years old. If you google the N number it brings up a lot of info. belonged to two airlines then a cargo carrier,this things been everywhere in its short life. Boeing 777-200 ER

It is being scrapped for parts, look its sitting on wooden blocks Surprised Surprised

And there's a horse on my car.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

It's pretty amazing that the first generation of the 777's are being retired and scrapped at 20 years of age. The first Generating of 747's flew 25-30 years being being to the bone yard.

It also speaks to the rapidly changing technology of the aviation sector. The fuel efficiency in this latest generation of airframes and the engines from P&W and Rolls Royce is quickly grounding and scrapping 20 year old airliners. I think by the end of of 2017, all US airlines will have retired their 747's from passenger service. The 747 is just too thirsty for long haul passenger service vs. the latest generation of wide body, two engine airliners from Boeing and Airbus. The 747's with service life left in the airframes/engines will be converted to freighters.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

747 is good enough for POTUS, I'd say damn fine airplane. Regarding the 777 I couldn't find the number of cycles or total hours. Apparently there's an AD for this model when they reach 45,000 cycles, cracks in aft pressure bulkhead.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

I love the 747 as well. It's so American and Iconic. I'm sorry to see it going rapidly towards the history books like the DC10 and L10-11's.

I toured the Boeing factory in Seattle a couple of years ago. We were overhead looking down on the 747 line. Those planes are HUGE.. I wonder when the last one will be built as I know the orders are drying up.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Back on the road again, Route 66 that is Very Happy. I only covered about 50 miles today
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

in the petrified forest

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Did you notice the abandoned car in the foreground?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Great pics ZF, I've always wanted to make that drive, keep the pics coming.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Quiet holiday weekend here everyone gathering fireworks,beer, steaks etc for the 4th. Good time for me to break out the VW for a Sunday cruise. I ended up around the airport again because after a lifetime of being an aircraft mechanic I am drawn to all things aviation related. It's almost as bad as being VW collector but might be worse because it reaches a larger audience. The pics speak for themselves and yes I had the car wound up again. I did a high speed run at least 10 miles, outside temps 85 degrees with high humidity. Gotta love it.

Behind the car I've worked over there for the last 29 years.

Over by the national guard base.

My normal speed don't attempt this at home.

Gas price here today use their Visa card and knock it down another 4 cents a gallon.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Yes it's been this long since I took the bug out for exercise but other than needing a little air in the front tires it was good to go. Decided to head up Route 66 past Foyil then get off onto 28e to look at the big teepee.

They used to let you get closer and it would have shown the scale of how big this thing is.

While there I met some French tourists and they wanted to get a picture of me and the Volkswagen.

I suggested they also take a look at the blue whale which is also a kitschy tourist thing to check out and assisted them with directions. The adults spoke no English but their kids did and they knew how to use smart phones.

So here's that old blue whale.

After that I swung by the big flea market, I can't stop looking at this stuff and I find stuff from time to time. This guy sells tools and he's there every weekend.

Further up the road and closer to home along 66 is the birthplace of Thrifty Rent a car. Years ago I met the man that started the business and this is another hidden gem. His name was L.G. Crow and he had the idea to start a rental car company using a small fleet of Volkswagens. I don't know how successful that was and he sold the business and went into selling Toyotas. I think between those two ventures he did alright.

Here's begining and ending mileage. I covered 104 miles, are VWs dependable? Read this entire thread I drive the crap out this car and it doesn't break down. See you next time.

I google L. G. Crow Thrifty Rental and the second hit is a newspaper story which tells in more detail who LG was, its a good read.

Here's the car put away waiting for next time. Next time will actually be around Friday when we cruise up to a car show Very Happy
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Rt 66 near the TX - NM border.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Well that car show was almost 4 weeks ago and we had a fantastic time. I planned on going for a ride but car was running bad, turned out to be distributor not advancing, it's a pertronix flame thrower purchased new 4 years ago about 5,000 miles on it. Popped in an old 009 and went for a ride. Back on 66 then a slight detour over to a local landmark. It's a home built into side of a hill known as cave house. It was built in 1920s as a chicken restaurant but was really a front for a speakeasy during the height of prohibition. Using correct password got you on through a secret door and down a flight of stairs into a passageway that opens into a cavern inside the hillside.

Legend is Pretty Boy Floyd used this place and other assorted assholes like kkk.
Paranormal investigation has revealed unexplained happenings here. It's open for tours although this is a private residence. It was also featured on HGTV in a segment called "Home strange Home" not to disappoint but on the way back home I wound up the old kraut can past 80. Very Happy

If you google Cave house tulsa you'll be directed to website with much more info and better pics. I was there early did not want to disturb owner.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Covered a fair amount of ground today, 117 miles getting back off Route 66 to look at another oddity. This particular thing has been in place since 1959 and was the site of an accident involving a cement mixer. It's amazing what's just off the beaten path of Route 66, there's so much more to discover.

After looking at this I drove down to Leon Russell's old recording studio known simply as " The Church " all signs have been removed and you'd drive right past it not knowing what this place was in the 70s. George Harrison,Eric Clapton, Delaney and Bonnie, virtually a who's who of 70s talent worked on the so called Tulsa Sound that blended rock, gospel,country music. Anyway zoom in on the street sign, it's the only clue.

**edit** unbeknownst to me while I was taking this picture Tom Petty was dying in the hospital. But this recording studio is also the place where Tom recorded some of his finest music, along with Willie Nelson,JJ Cale,Bob Dylan.
What an odd and strange coincidence.

To find out more about the space capsule google Winganon space capsule
Google Leon Russell Tulsa studio to get a better bio for that.

Beginning and ending mileage and this week was different never got above 65 mph I've developed a bad vibration in front end, will be chasing that down real soon. Last week a faulty distributor oh its always something. I wouldn't have it any other way. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Another stop along the way was this historical marker which commemorates the supposed birthplace of fracking in the United States. Hard to read in the pic of marker but they say in 1931 this crossroads was site of active oil field and it goes on to explain how and what they did in a self congratulatory way. So I googled fracking history and it goes back much further to 1862, but that's a stretch if you read into it compared to what's happening now. This marker has been in place since 1973 and I'll bet most people drive by without stopping, only reason I did was it's right by the turn off for the space capsule.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Perfect day for a VW drive low 60s and sunny. Veered off Route 66 about 35 miles to a WW2 submarine they've placed in the dirt right here in the Midwest, no joke. Honestly I was underwhelmed so I just snapped a couple of pics and didn't pay the 5 bucks to get in, as a vet I get 2 bucks off thanks Very Happy

So I motored on down to Fort Gibson which dates back to 1842 and a little further up a dam built by corps of engineers. They claim we have more miles of shoreline than Minnesota the land of a thousand lakes but I don't know. So all in all I covered over 100 miles. I show beginning and ending miles first.

Pics of the submarine USS Batfish

And the dam

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: