Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cruising Route 66
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Took a ride up north today only three miles off the Mother Road 66. This industrial area would be considered an eyesore to most but to a car guy like me it's worth looking at, it's the place where cars go to die. I got to looking and noticed I was driving a car much older than these things that are already being scrapped, that's too bad we live in a throwaway society. I logged about 50 miles and didn't get much over 55 mph, the front end shake is back.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Small ride today maybe 60 miles, 37 degrees perfect for air cooled car with a working heater, flaps and thermo working Very Happy cruised by what was a defense plant one of six built during WW2 to manufacture bombers. It was Air Force plant number 3 which housed Douglas, later to become Mc Donnell Douglas which eventually was absorbed into Boeing. it’s massive over a mile long. It’s a black out structure with no windows, some of it bomb proof and a least two levels below ground hidden to all. So it’s built like a brick shithouse and continues to stand, it belongs to the city and is mostly vacant except for part which is used to manufacture school buses. Thousands and thousands and from here they go all over the world. A few quick pics. Assembly line manufacturing jobs still exist here. You can’t see the rows behind what’s in the pic but it goes way back. That’s a 7000 volt electric fence you wouldn’t want to take a leak on that. Very Happy Very Happy if you google “Air Force plant number 3 it will give you a complete history of this magnificent building complete with aerial photo. Ck that out.

Most of what I've shown you so far has been very close to Route 66, this old factory is no exception, it's roughly 2 miles off mother road. The road itself has many hidden gems but the really obscure often overlooked is just around the corner or in this case 2 miles off the road. So much history no wonder people come from all over the world to see this. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Wow what a difference six months makes, no the car and myself have not been dormant just nothing of any consequence worth mentioning. Today was different and this time the wife came with me, she usually prefers a newer car with creature comforts. This drive was again right up Route 66 to a little town called Claremore and to RSU aka Rogers State University to see the Vietnam Veterans Traveling Wall. This is a smaller version of the big wall in Washington DC.

I Wasn’t ready for it, even in miniature form it seems huge and then there’s all those names and you begin to realize just how many folks this touched beyond the names on the wall. The living veterans were there, some disabled. A volunteer explained how the names are arranged beginning in 1959 all the way up to 1975. 1968 was the year with most casualties, 68 was just a shitty year in so many ways. I snapped a few pics along the way including a schedule of where it will be during 2018. If it comes to a town near you take a look.

Getting cold drinks ready for the ride up

Beginning mileage

Tracing a name off the wall, I think they supply the paper and pencil

Straight up the middle by the wreath is where it starts, 1959 going up in years towards the right then it circles around back coming up the left to 1975 so it begins and ends in same place.

Static displays gives background info

Zoom in on that map this is the moving wall schedule for 2018

That’s me parked a respectable distance away

I wouldn’t be me unless I ran the car balls out every once in awhile. It was about noon 90 degrees humidity high didn’t miss a beat. What’s that they say? Drive it like you stole it Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Along Route 66 right downtown you’ll find the Blue Dome. The dome was built in 1924 as a White Star gas station with 9 pumps and the proprietor lived on the upper level. In 1954 the Highway was rerouted and the gas station went out of business and sat vacant before being repurposed into a bar. Now this place is the anchor for entire neighborhood know as the blue dome district with restaurants and shops and even a yearly festival. Just another odd thing along the big mother road.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Along Route 66 right downtown you’ll find the Blue Dome. The dome was built in 1924 as a White Star gas station with 9 pumps and the proprietor lived on the upper level. In 1954 the Highway was rerouted and the gas station went out of business and sat vacant before being repurposed into a bar. Now this place is the anchor for entire neighborhood know as the blue dome district with restaurants and shops and even a yearly festival. Just another odd thing along the big mother road.

Like everything now there’s bunch of info on this place just google Tulsa blue dome, it’s also got a wiki page. Very Happy
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

These are awesome pictures! I hope to do some more long-distance cruises after I retire in March.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
These are awesome pictures! I hope to do some more long-distance cruises after I retire in March.

Max

I’ve really only ventured out about 75 miles in either direction of Route 66, but a lot of this stuff is just a mile or two off the road. I’ve thought about driving up to Chicago along what’s left of the road. Although some of the places are preserved many more are being destroyed to make room for convenience stores and subway sandwich places.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:

Max

If you do, a) take lots of pics, b)if you choose to follow as much of route 66 as possible, take an old VW or a 4WD vehicle, there was another thread where the poster decided to travel a lot of the original abandoned sections & they were almost impassible due to neglect.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

I've done four Berg Cruises, countless San Jose to Phoenix trips and a number of Colorado Springs to Phoenix solo rides. In 2007 my wife and I drove the remaining Rt 66 alignments from Santa Fe to the west coast with another family in our 68 type-3 Squareback and their 66 type-2. I only stopped daily-driving in 2016 when my work schedule reached a point where I could no longer keep up with the maintenance. All my stuff is waiting for me in the barn.

My bucket list includes a trip to the big experimental fly-in in Oshkosh WI. At one point they used aircooled cars for on-site transpo. But that probably isn't the case any more. I just like airplanes.

Oh, and I want to drive the length of the Alaska Highway in one my 67s. That will probably be a solo ride. I doubt my wife will be down for that one. Wink

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Max Welton wrote:

Max

If you do, a) take lots of pics, b)if you choose to follow as much of route 66 as possible, take an old VW or a 4WD vehicle, there was another thread where the poster decided to travel a lot of the original abandoned sections & they were almost impassible due to neglect.

There are several books available which explain in detail the entire road as well as certain points of interest. To add to the confusion it’s been re routed over the years and some of it lacks signage when you get into urban areas. Entire sections between have been paved over and incorporated into the Interstate highway system but there’s still a bunch of it left to enjoy. Some preservation efforts have been made and believe it or not tourists from all over the world are drawn to this road seeking a look back at classic Americana.

Another venue just a few blocks off 66 this is The Brady aka The old lady on Brady. It’s on the National register of historic places built in 1914 it’s seen a lot of action through the years. The bricks on the front don’t match as an add on in 1953 but it stays busy. We’ve been going here over 30 years, have seen Jeff Beck, Robert Plant, Alice Cooper, Moody Blues, Jackson Browne, Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt and many many others. July 7th Bill Maher will do an HBO special here and I’ll be there again. Funny thing about this place the seats seem too small but that’s only because people have much bigger asses than they did when this place was built. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Here we are again one or two blocks off 66 Mother Road parked next to the Woodie Guthrie museum, in 2020 all of Bob Dylan’s stuff will be here too within walking distance.
[/img]

All those porto potties are there because a major bicycle race was going on which attracts thousands of folks.

This last photo shows me at Greenwood and Archer aka known as Black Wall Street. In 1921 this whole area was burned to ashes in a terrible race riot. We cannot escape our past but we can learn from it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Now we are at Cain’s Ballroom and it’s been around since 1924, it’s on the national register of historic places. It started out as a parking garage built by one Tate Brady to store his car collection. Tate sold it to Madison Cain around 1930 maybe he didn’t need a garage after the 29 crash I’m guessing. It went for years as a dance studio and was home to Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, they did live radio for years out of this place. Towards the end of the 50s they locked it down and it was vacant till 70s and it changed hands again. They booked Elvin Bishop to open it followed by The Sex Pistols in 1977. From then on it went Avant-garde and was host to all the unusual acts. In the last 10 years it’s been refurbished and stays very busy now in fact this whole downtown section has been redone and is busy as hell every weekend. It has a Wikipedia page and it’s own website ck it at. www.cainsballroom.com

AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Always good to read about your adventures out Rt66 driving the bug. Wife calls it "skittles" right?

Just something great about taking a Sunday drive, visiting historic places in a classic car. A guaranteed way to have a good Sunday, I think.

Haven't heard you talk about winding up 'ol Skittles lately though. Recall reading some time ago about a shimmy/shake. Get that fixed and/or wind the VW up to "Zundfolge speed" lately?

Happy Bug'n, Zundfolge
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Front end still wonky but I’m confined to about 45 mph now.

We cruised up to the big flea market north of town and it’s right on old Route66
and now they’ve constructed this artsy fartsy tribute sign using our tax dollars. Kinda weird it sits in a hole mounted at an angle. There is a roundabout there as monument sits in the middle of all this.

You gotta watch it because folks here don’t Understand how a roundabout works with who has right of way.

This last pic shows a huge Reed Manufacturing Co. vise model 104, weighs over 60 lbs. all steel built in USA early 1900s, yes it’s old. Best part was price I got this for 20 bucks. Days not over I’ll rack up a few more miles in the old bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Here we are on the Mother Road Route 66, America’s Main Street, the restless ribbon, etc etc. on west side of Arkansas river in an area called Red Fork. This oil derrick commemorates some of the earliest drilling activity and predates the more famous Glenpool area farther south.

Also caught this old sign probably dates from 50s, it’s just one of many surviving things along the road.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

As you can see this is still a viable VW dealership and although it’s been under a few different names it’s been up and running since at least the early 70s and then known as Memorial Volkswagen. Around 1989 I met the service manager who had worked for VW since early 60s as a line mechanic. He was a wealth of information and a great friend who died too soon about 10 years ago. This particular spot is about 3 miles off the mother road so it still qualifies in my book as a place to mention. Very Happy I asked the young salesmen in here to use this as a backdrop and they look at me like I’m some kind of time traveler for the past. They were all less than 30 so these old VWs look like junk to them.

This last photo under the service sign shows another business called “Nelson’s Buffeteria” it’s been in several locations but has been serving same real good food since 1929. That’s not by accident it really is home cooking at its finest.
www.nelsonsbuffeteria.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

This period Phillips 66 gas station was dedicated with a ribbon cutting ceremony last week. Paid for by bond issue this state is investing in tourism and route66 specifically. Next they will build a train depot to match the antique locomotive which is also on display. As a taxpayer I support this

Then I cruised over to a drive in which is still in operation, I’ll bet some of you have never been to a drive in theatre. Girls and boys have fond memories of these places, I do Very Happy

This one functions as a twin showing two movies same time but I remember multiplex theaters when I lived in California in the 70s
comcam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Love the pictures and stories you put to them ! Please keep it up !!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Off to the races today so to speak Very Happy I wanted to show a picture of this guy the muffler man.

Then just down the street is this genuine Art Deco building that almost was destroyed to build a Home Depot. Citizens intervened and the facade was left intact but the store failed and now it’s mixed retail. Look at the detail on that door, outstanding example of Art Deco, in fact there’s more Deco here in this town than most because of the oil boom and wealth during the 1930s despite an economic depression everywhere else. Not that it didn’t happen here but some areas fared better than others.

And there I go again driving the wheels off that old yellow car. It purrs like a kitten Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Wow another year gone. I woke up feeling great because we didn’t participate in drunk day festivities last night aka New Year’s Eve. I resolved to make a much longer drive today much longer than normal, 197 miles to be exact. I started by throwing all caution to the wind didn’t check oil never raised the deck lid just got on I 44 heading west which eventually turns into a toll road where people drive faster than the posted limit of 75. You need to bring your A game to compete in a old VW at these speeds or take secondary roads and enjoy the ride but that came later.

My beginning miles

There’s the speed limit and not much to look at just road.

This gas station had a historical marker so I stopped you can read it next pic

I continued on to the round barn in Arcadia Oklahoma

www.arcadiaroundbarn.com

I continued on Pops. pops is a tourist trap open 7 days a week. Their claim to fame is hundreds of different flavors of soda pop and of course greasy hamburgers. But it’s worth looking at

www.pops66.com

This is where I turned around on Route 66 and headed back east towards home. Here I avoided all interstate and instead stayed on Route 66 all the way.

Coming through the small towns most have preserved these old gas stations so check it out.

Upon closer examination I noticed the antique lift next to the station

So the hard part is finding these original sections which have been dormant such as the one above. Look the roadbed is original red brick.

On the way home I ran between 70 and 80. I look like a time traveler trying to get back to the 70s Very Happy maybe.

you ever worry about oil leaks? I don’t this has taken years as the car only leaks a drop or two during weeks of sitting but it spreads out.

Here’s the ending mileage 197 miles traveled and I bought a few of the different flavored drinks

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: