Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Beetle single stage paint
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick135
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: VW Beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

I have a 1965 vw beetle that I want to paint my self and I want to find the best single stage paint, primer and what ever else you need for painting. Best bang for your buck I have heard a lot about ppg concept but I see they no longer make it are there any paints out there comparable to ppg concept single stage paint. Paint needs to be strong it's for a daily driver also I m starting from bear metal if that makes a difference
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

PPG has a paint line called Shop Line that i have used with good results. You could also use the Dupont Nason line. Both will work fine. Single stage wont be as strong as a base/clear though.
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vw beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

I've been using 5 Star Xtreme primer which can be sprayed on bare metal. It can be used as regular primer, high build or a sealer depending on how you mix it. I bought my last 2 gallon kits on Ebay for just under $100 shipped. Comes with Gallon of white, grey or black primer and activator. You need to get reducer. I have one 65 Bug fully primed in it and another 65 that's 50% primed. I'm also painting both myself in single stage and recently tried PPG Delfleet and also the Omni line. Both will work for my needs and budget, but I'll more than likely use Omni. The Delfleet dries slower, but is a bit more durable.
nick135
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

Can you find oem colors from these companies also which paint is easier to work with single stage or bc/cc this would by my first paint job and I want to find a paint that's hard to mess up
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

Any paint is easy to mess up.
nick135
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

That's what I have heard but the guy at the paint shop said that single stage is easier to work with . Also what do you guys think about the Nason paint line of single stage urethane
nick135
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

What are the layers of paint products in order . What order do you put epoxy primer ,sealer ,2k primer ,base and clear is that the correct order . Also did I miss something?
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vw beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

Nason single stage shot in my garage.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

Quote:
What are the layers of paint products in order . What order do you put epoxy primer ,sealer ,2k primer ,base and clear is that the correct order

1. Degrease thoroughly & tack
2. Epoxy, then allow appropriate flash
3. High build. Allow to cure
4. Block with guidecoat
5. Sealer (you can reduce your epoxy normally). Allow appropriate flash
6. Base (usually 3 coats) with appropriate flash between coats and appropriate flash before clear
7. Clear.
8. Color sand and buff (if desired).
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

If it's a daily driver, just prime and paint it with single stage. If you live in California, all the advice you hear about epoxy can be shit canned unless you have a way to get it from another state.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

For a garage paint job, single stage is a good way to go. Unless you build a terrific garage paint booth, having to apply sealer, base coats and +clear coats can really enhance your ability to get lots of dust and dirt in the wet paint. I agree that a base/clear is more durable. I also think single stage looks better on classic VW's vs. base/clear coat.

I used PPG concept at $500 a gallon w/reducer and hardeners. I was under whelmed by it. I had a few runs in the paint and when I flattened them down, it discolored the paint and required a re-spray of the affected panels.

Many folks get terrific results from the less expensive paint lines already mentioned, especially on a daily driver.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pwomble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

Envious wrote:

Which Nason product did you use? These look great!
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

pwomble wrote:
Envious wrote:

Which Nason product did you use? These look great!

Just Nason urethane. I mixed the top two coats with their panel clear coat as per their spec sheet. Turned out great. Sanded and polished well.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
nick135
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies I think I will go with the Nason single stage paint with some of their clear mixed in any recommendations for epoxy primer
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

nick135 wrote:
Thanks for the replies I think I will go with the Nason single stage paint with some of their clear mixed in any recommendations for epoxy primer

Just be aware that some of these epoxy primers need to be sanded right before you spray the paint on them if you go more than 24 hours after laying the primer on, before laying the color coat paint on. The epoxy primer hardens and the color coat won't adhere or stick to it unless you open the pores back up on the primer by sanding it again before painting.

I forgot that on one panel I did. I had to put some masking tape on it several days after the paint dried. The color coat lifted right up off the epoxy primer due to it not bonding correctly.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

Yes!

Follow the flash instructions VERY carefully when using epoxy.

That's one of the nice things about using a high build.... other than getting very straight panels. It kind of gives you a break between primer and base since you have to sand.
nick135
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

while we are talking about paint any suggestions for the wheel wells and inner fenders . i have heard that bed liner works well and i was thinking about the U-pol products black bed liner.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

I personally like Herculiner. Easy to apply. Looks good. And seems pretty durable. And not that expensive either.
nick135
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

Okay I need some more help I have completely stripped the beetle with paint stripper and I need some recommendations for epoxy primer also I'm going with the single stage Nason paint but I have read their primer is poor quality so what brand do you guys recommend
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle single stage paint Reply with quote

Kirker Epoxy. Inexpensive. Easy to mix ands spray.

www.autobodytoolmart.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: