Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

Colorado Folks (and anyone else who wants to come),

Join us this Thursday for a slide show by tim_ha of subagonsouth's Vanagon expedition from Colorado to Patagonia

6:30 Thursday February 25th at (updated) Wild Woods Brewery in Boulder 5460 Conestoga Ct. Boulder, CO 80301 www.wildwoodsbrewery.com: (/updated)

This was buried in tim_ha's "Reflections on a trip way down south" thread about their trip to Patagonia and needed a bit more visibility.

tim_ha wrote:
Come out for our slideshow!

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone. We have scheduled a slideshow presentation for Thursday February 25th at (updated) Wild Woods Brewery in Boulder: (/updated)
Start time can be somewhat flexible. How about 6:30PM. We (subagonsouth) will show up early in our van for tours while there is still light.

Powder Keg will let me put on the slideshow for free as long as there are less than about 30 people in the group, so please PM me if you plan to come and let me know about how many will be in your group. You, samba members, are the main reason that we are making this happen, so I will wait to see how many of you can make it before spreading the word elsewhere.

Here's where they were a year ago: http://subagonsouth.com/2015/01/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by sanchius on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

In! Looking forward to it.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

Thanks to sanchius for posting this. We have been busy finishing up the slideshow, trying to distill it down to about an hour long slideshow/presentation and neglected to do a bit more advertising here on The Samba.

Last count, I had 6 Samba members confirmed with one or two maybes.
No need to PM me about coming, just show up if you can make it.

We look forward to seeing/meeting you all on Thursday!

Last edited by tim_ha on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
In! Looking forward to it.

Me too.
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

ditto

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

morning bump
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

Wish I lived closer! Sad

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

NOTE: Change of venue forthcoming...

So, Powder Keg Brewing screwed up and double booked for tomorrow night, so we need to find a new venue. If any of you attending have any thoughts, let me know.

I will post an update here and try to PM those of you that have confirmed once we find an alternate venue.
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

Hooray we found a venue!

The new venue is Wild Woods Brewery in Boulder:

5460 Conestoga Ct.
Boulder, CO 80301

http://www.wildwoodsbrewery.com

Emily and I just went over and checked it out. It isn't a private room, but the owners were very accommodating and excited to have us. They have a nice beer selection and will have the Heirloom Food Truck parked out front tomorrow night.

Thanks to Sean Davis, we also have a projector and screen!

We will plan to be there by 5:45 to get set up and will start the slides at 6:30.

Looking forward to meeting all of you.
Tim & Emily
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

Farfrumwork wrote:
ditto

How bad could traffic be? What the hell, I gotta see this.
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

yah! come on up Joel!

I'll be there with the fam

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

Damn. I just left Boulder a few hours ago....
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

We had great turnout from the Colorado Front-range Vanagon family for Subagonsouth's Boulder to Patagonia Travelogue.

Tim and Emily provided tours of their expedition bus, followed by an inspiring view of an amazing 27,000 mile journey by two very nice and socially aware folks who are a credit to us all.

All in all it was a very fun and entertaining evening with great folks, great beer and massive pizzas.

If you squint hard at the the crappy cell-phone pics below you can make out Joetiger, mr & mrs Farfrumwork with the FFW littles, Bravarianwrench, Escorial_Syncro, KatieKatie, Mark the steely eyed pro wrench from Wolfsburg Autowerks and many others.

Another plus was getting to sample some amazing microbrews from Wild Woods brewery, a place that was new to me. If you didn't try the hand-drawn cask Tropical Paradise Imperial IPA, it is definitely worth a trip back.

The parking lot was filled with very impressive Vangons and it was nice putting faces to names and hearing stories of their builds and trips to Alaska.
The common theme was that we all seemed to have bought and sold Vanagon parts from each other at some point in time.

I'm sure there will be more get togethers as the summer camping and music scene gets rolling.

Finally, I want to thank Tim and Emily again for taking the time to share this wonderful experience with us.

Last edited by sanchius on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

Emily and Tim, thank you for a great time. The evening combined great company(many a Samba member, Dave thanks for the beer, Sanchius I think I ate that whole bag of pretzels you set down), fine story telling, and fantastic photos. It was inspirational entertainment, as well as a lot of very valuable information for a trip of that magnitude. Some of the details you shared, one might only learn about through a bad experience. It was refreshing to hear how smooth your trip was. That is a testament to who the two of you are, nice work.

Thanks Again
Andrew
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

Thanks so much for doing this, Emily and Tim. It's one thing to read about your journey on your blog, but quite another to see you and your Syncro again and hear such great descriptions and stories. I also really enjoyed getting together with so many familiar and new faces (and sharing winter maintenance updates.)

The presentation was inspirational indeed, and what a cool couple. Their journey looked and sounded like a blueprint for how to do it right. I hopped in my Vanagon afterwards and wanted desperately to point it towards a new road!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

Agreed!
A fun event, hearing about an epic trip, taken by a cool couple.
Plus a great gathering of vanagon-ites from all over the front range. I was glad to get a chance to meet even a fraction of the crowd that was there, and check out some of the many rigs in the parking lot, plus the infamous expedition syncro that Tim and Emily created and lived in (and maintained) on their trip. And a new discovery of Wild Woods Brewery here in Boulder. That Tropical Paradise Imperial IPA was amazing!
Thanks Tim and Emily for being the inspiration for the gathering, and an inspiration for how a well done vanagon trip can go.
-macjack
p.s. Tim, you picked the perfect shirt to wear in Wild Woods: in that last picture from sanchius you look like a natural feature of that green wall!
Bike as primary transportation
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who showed up, and thanks for the kind words.

Emily and I had a lot of fun, and look forward to future trips, meetups, and campouts with all the new friends we made. It is interactions like last night that really reinforce the feeling of being part of the VW family.

macjack wrote:
p.s. Tim, you picked the perfect shirt to wear in Wild Woods: in that last picture from sanchius you look like a natural feature of that green wall!

Haha, yes I had to laugh when I saw that.
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver/Boulder/FTC: Subagonsouth Travelogue - Thur Feb 25 @ Reply with quote

Everyone said it all already, but I'll add that you guys KICK ASS!

Thanks so much for the show (and the biggest pizzas I've ever seen!) Applause

We hope to get to do more touring and camping with our front range Vanagon family in the near future. You just don't get that kind of connection outside the VW world.

Great to see everyone!

To the Solstice!!!! Dancing

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: