Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nissen vs Behr radiator
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Nissen vs Behr radiator Reply with quote

So I have always used the South african made behr radiators in all of my vanagons without issue. Until now, several weeks ago my 1 year old behr radiator began leaking a lot of coolant from the side bafflings. I purchased it from autohauaz. It has a two year warranty so they will replace. I spoke with the autohausaz rep and he said that they have noticed the quality control on the behrs have been slipping over the last few years. That is news to me. He suggested I try the Nissen radiator, which is made in Denmark. While it has a slight difference like the top bleeder valve, it is supposed to be superior in qaulity over the Behr. Can anyone confirm or deny this claim? Is anyone using the Nissen? I am considering trying it out as I dont want to be replacing this radiator again in another year if the behrs are slipping in quality
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

Can't help with VAG stuff, but for MB parts Behr appears to have shifted their product manufacturing to Asia, and well...you know how that goes. Nissens used to be a ruddy-haired step child of the aftermarket industry, but now they're probably the best you can buy from most of the usual vendors.

The aftermarket parts industry is in complete chaos right now. No brand seems immune to the quality control decline.

And sadness ruled the land

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558261&view=next
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

Perhaps I should start building made in the USA radiators.

You want all stainless or all brass?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

Aluminum with aluminum end tanks would be just fine

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

I've been running one for 20K and it seems to work fine. I was a little leary of it when my Shop was putting it in shop was putting it in but I read up on them and they seem to b e decent quality with great fit and finish.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:

Thank you for that, I read that post when I searched. It doesnt really answer my questions however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Can't help with VAG stuff, but for MB parts Behr appears to have shifted their product manufacturing to Asia, and well...you know how that goes. Nissens used to be a ruddy-haired step child of the aftermarket industry, but now they're probably the best you can buy from most of the usual vendors.

The aftermarket parts industry is in complete chaos right now. No brand seems immune to the quality control decline.

And sadness ruled the land

This is true sadly. Like I stated I always had good success with Behr, but a little bummed that mine has failed so soon. If their QC had been slipping I would be curious to try the nissen. Sounds like some folks are having success with them. I would like to know if anyone has had any recent failures however
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

Sadly, most companies must cut corners to keep the cash coming in. All too often, the corners get cut too deep and then the comebacks start coming in.

Behr, like Bosch used to make good stuff. Their quality has suffered for it, but they'll get a handle on it and make it right. So it will take a few years for it to happen. I would stick with a Nissen at this time.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

you probably know this, but just in case. if you are seeing a series of coolant system failures then it could be the system has too much pressure. that may be just a cheap blue cap, or could be the expensive combustion leak. my cooling system has a lot of new parts because all the weak ones got blown up. my radiator included (replaced with one from cip1 for around $200 - i drove to pick it up and i don't recall the brand)

during that debacle, i thought about installing a cooling system pressure gauge. i never did, although i have most of the parts for it.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:

Thank you for that, I read that post when I searched. It doesnt really answer my questions however.

It doesn't answer your question but it is the only thread that I remember showing the nissen radiator differences like the fitment issue. Something you might want to be aware of while looking at options.

candyman wrote:
I would like to know if anyone has had any recent failures however

Our newest behr radiator in the fleet went into my son's van a year ago and it hasn't had any issues. The oldest behr is well over a decade old and it is still fine.
Good luck
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

I have had good luck with Nissens. Not in my Vanagon though, it has a five year old Behr radiator. I have three Audi cars with Nissens radiators. Two have Nissens A/C condensers too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

I put in a Nissens rad last summer. Cooling was OK but started to see some funky temp issues with my VDO gauge,I think unrelated to the rad. Went to bleed the rad and tightening the hot plastic bleed screw I decided to just snug it up with adjustable pliers - SNAP! FH!
Advice - cut away a lot of the overhanging VW metal to give good access to the bleed screw and turn with a dime or flathead screwdriver only - no pliers!
If you do snap the head off I have just done a replacement using a 10mm coarse thread bolt 3/4 inch,9.5mm O-ring and dremeled a groove in the threads about 3/8 inch long.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

Tk I will take my radiator in cooper please like the one that came out and a set of your stainless coolant lines for a 82 deisel as well.😃
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs behr radiator Reply with quote

2 year old Behr/Hella radiator weeping from the seam in the cold today.

Guess I'll be testing the Nissens Rolling Eyes
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs Behr radiator Reply with quote

I'm looking for a replacement radiator and came to this topic to help decide which one. I've come across not only the Behr and Nissens, but several on eBay that make me wonder who makes them.

But I did come across one called "Behr Hella Service" for about $100. One place evan has one simply labeled "Behr," also for $100, but I can't imagine it's the same Behr that sells for closer to $200.

I know someone mentioned buying a Hella radiator on Rockauto recently but I can't find a post about it.

Rockauto's page on Hella radiators says something about spending less on parts for older cars that may be worth less.

I don't want to skimp, but I've read stories about leaking Behrs and Nissens that don't allow the lower baffle to fit right.

Who's got experience with these "Behr Hella service" radiators?

Thanks,
Ed
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs Behr radiator Reply with quote

SWMBO blew a two year old Nissens on our Volvo 200 yards from house..God Bless her she walked home rather than run the red light of sadness home.

With Volvo, you have seconds of running time once overheat happens, not minutes.

I replaced with Nissens again , with lifetime warranty, for $100 vs $400 OEM as this seemed like a fluke failure, and no one could tell me where OEM was made today, for that matter.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs Behr radiator Reply with quote

erdonline wrote:

Who's got experience with these "Behr Hella service" radiators?

Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed,
I bought a Behr Hella Service rad from ECS tuning recently.

This is to replace my leaky 2 year old Behr purchased from Oscaro auto parts during some amazing free shipping promotion.

Still in the box, I like the packaging and labeling on the ECS supplied rad.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs Behr radiator Reply with quote

Must be expensive to manufacture in South Africa and then test in Oklahoma....
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Nissen vs Behr radiator Reply with quote

And you wonder why they have to cut corners to keep the costs down. An accountant will find that out someday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: