Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

Are you able to run the bypass filter like a Flat 4 one as a full flow filter? Could you run the outlet off the oil pump up to the filter, and then run the return line from the filter to the normal spot back into the case?
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

Others know more than me. This post will probably help:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644546

It appears that bypass filters and full flow filters have different size fittings.
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

I saw that, I wonder if anything is different between them aside from the fittings?
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

I'm sure you could make one work by opening up the inlet/outlet, but you would have to do some testings to find out at what point the filter becomes restrictive.

You may want to consider finding a vintage full flow filter on eBay. They show up on a regular basis.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
I'm sure you could make one work by opening up the inlet/outlet, but you would have to do some testings to find out at what point the filter becomes restrictive.

You may want to consider finding a vintage full flow filter on eBay. They show up on a regular basis.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers,

Paul

Is the inlet and outlet the only drawback? Can the rest of it handle the pressure?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

no!!!! bypass filters are very restrictive ny nature so they dont cause any oil pressure loss. you will not have enough pressure&flow comming out of it and kill your bearings.and some can not take the high flow if you just change to bigger fittings so it flows more. you realy need to know what your doing when doing somethen like this.( it will also raise the pressure at the oil pump oh so high and possiably effup the pump,drive,cam , splode the filter canaster. ...do it right. remember if you have 30 psi in a 20 cubic inch filter you have howmuch real pressure?? and how many xubic inches is that big orande canaster???? thats a lot of pressure. PSI >>>PER SQUARE INCH>
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
no!!!! bypass filters are very restrictive ny nature so they dont cause any oil pressure loss. you will not have enough pressure&flow comming out of it and kill your bearings.and some can not take the high flow if you just change to bigger fittings so it flows more. you realy need to know what your doing when doing somethen like this.( it will also raise the pressure at the oil pump oh so high and possiably effup the pump,drive,cam , splode the filter canaster. ...do it right. remember if you have 30 psi in a 20 cubic inch filter you have howmuch real pressure?? and how many xubic inches is that big orande canaster???? thats a lot of pressure. PSI >>>PER SQUARE INCH>

I had a feeling the bypass would be too restrictive, so you don't think the bigger full flow canisters can work either? I think I'm just going to run the bypass for looks and block off the inlet port, and run my standard full flow filter under the fender like its traditionally run.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

it would be great for tool&rag storage!!! sparking bolts too if your car likes to kill them.. or if you have a dead one(canaster, do some creative work and put a std spin on fla 1 (ford mopar spin on filter) filter inside it,but be sure there is no restrictions in any fittings or hoses.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
it would be great for tool&rag storage!!! sparking bolts too if your car likes to kill them.. or if you have a dead one(canaster, do some creative work and put a std spin on fla 1 (ford mopar spin on filter) filter inside it,but be sure there is no restrictions in any fittings or hoses.

I think the tool and rag storage is a good idea lol. I'm just going to run it for looks and plug the inlet. My fan shroud already has the holes, might as well use them instead of having to weld them up, re-powder coat it, or having to find a new shroud and having it re-powder coated.
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

This guy (fantastic car) runs his as a breather...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp1rgXBvtqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcs-EZKuCDY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

RichardinNZ wrote:
This guy (fantastic car) runs his as a breather...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp1rgXBvtqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcs-EZKuCDY

That's an awesome idea! I've never seen that car, he's just a few hours south of me. Do you know his username on here by any chance?
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

Sorry, not sure of Dick's user name on here...I think he did post in the vintage speed forum when originally building this car (and planned a 36hp based engine?). He is on the Cal Look Lounge under his real name...
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

There are some spirited discussions on the subject of bypass vs non-bypass at this topic ----> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5293592#5293592

Glenn is the strongest proponent of leaving the bypass out. The Canton Mecca filter he uses sells for around $120., and it is reusable. That price will deter quite a few people.

As others have found out, the typical $5 filter can burst on a cold morning at startup. I haven't had one burst on me but I noticed a Fram I used had a noticeable bulge in it at the opposite end from the plate it screws into. At the time I was living one mile from the ocean in SoCal where it never gets below 34° F. I now use a System 1 filter with a reusable aluminum body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

If you want the vintage look and full flow, check out this:

http://www.honestcharley.com/hildebrandt-oil-filter.html

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
If you want the vintage look and full flow, check out this:

http://www.honestcharley.com/hildebrandt-oil-filter.html

Cheers,

Paul

How does it mount, what size are the inlets and outlets, and where are the inlet and outlets?
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Is a bypass filter ok to run as full flow? Reply with quote

Google is your friend. Wink

"Hildebrandt Oil Filter authentically reproduced externally but modified internally to accept a spin on oil filter. The adaption of the spin on filter give you full pressure filtration unlike a Beehive filter. The filter is a very common one used in most all Ford six and V-8 engines (Napa 21515, Delco PF2, Fram PH8). We ship it with a NAPA filter that has a Nitrile anti drain back flapper in it. The inlet and outlet holes are drilled and tapped for 3/8 pipe thread. There are four drilled and tapped mounting bosses on the rear as on the originals (~1 3/8" high by 3" wide bolt pattern. We also ship it with four 1" long 1/4-20 studs for mounting purposes."

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: