Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Elkes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

I saw several threads regarding the GP 1006 Time Pirate on this forum.

The TIME PIRATE was a tool designed for the professional [VW] mechanic. The niche the tool performed would allow the mechanic to replace the ball joints on the car (1966-74 standard VW) under one hour verses dismantling the suspension to press out the ball joints using a bench 20 ton (or 40 ton?) hydraulic press which was a four hour flat rate job (rate determined by VW).

Mechanics at the dealership were paid 4 hours labor whether the job took one hour or six.

The GP 1006 did not service the Super Beetle ball joints; however, with the use of the GP 1006 AK1 (a separate adapter kit to be used with the GP 1006) you could service the Super Beetle's inboard track arm bushing. There were only a 1000 units of the GP1006 AK1 manufactured, thus are rare.

There were no manuals produced in how to use the tool; the tools did come with an instruction for use. There was one shown on another GP 1006 thread with the tool and it's components on top of it.

Answering another question: The GP 1006 and the AK1 were manufactured in the greater metropolitan area of Toledo, Ohio. USA.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

I didn't know they made a ball joint checker tool. Very nice. Cool

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott Elkes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

GP 1008 Ball Joint Checker was a low volume tool. Once a mechanic used the tool they liked it.

The tools were sold directly to shops and tool suppliers, such as: Mac Tools, TRW, and Snap-on Tool Corporation back in the 1970s/80s.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

reducing the time to 45 minutes is stretching it a bit. I have an Assenmacher ?tool like that and after 100's of ball joint jobs 1 hour start to finish is what I found out to be a realistic time.
Unless they are talking of having the arms off and just pushing in and out the joints and not having to R & R anything on the bug.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

Unless they are talking of having the arms off and just pushing in and out the joints and not having to R & R anything on the bug.

Exactly.
The only time I ever saw one of these in use (GP1006) was back in the late 80's. I delivered arms to my mechanic for new BJs. He had them done in about an hour.

Are these still available?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

the whole idea was to leave the arms in the beam....remove ball joint nuts,set the drum and spindle aside with the brake line and tie rod still attached (usually on a milk crate)....it was more awkward to use with the arm in a vise....mine came from trw as a promotion with 4 ball joints in about 1973...45 min was possible if you really hustled and used air tools
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

On a real good day, you would be extra lucky to do them in under an hour Wink
I have been using a similar tool since the late 70's and if you saw what an air gun does to this tool you wouldn't even attempt to use it on the tool.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

no i dont use a gun on the tool itself...just a 4 ft snapon 3/4 drive ratchet...air guns and pullers dont mix....and just cause its possible doesn't mean i actually do it that quick....these days it takes 15 minutes extra just to stand up
Scott Elkes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

All of you brought up valid comments with regards to the time aspect.

The GP1006 was the first tool out for this application. It was a substantial tool verses what came out later [1970s] from other tool competitors. The thrust bearing was a major feature offered where the others did not have. This made ball joint press operation easier. We had several mechanics call and purchase the GP1006 after buying a competing brand that failed with a customer's car apart in the shop.

Although air impact tools wrench tools were not recommended for use with this tool, we had mechanics used them regularly. When they wore them out they just order another unit.

The GP1006 is no longer produced. The part likely to need a replacement would be the bearing. They were produced by Timken. Sorry, I do not know the part number.

Last edited by Scott Elkes on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

Scott Elkes wrote:
The thrust bearing was a major feature offered where the others did not have. This made ball joint press operation easier. The part likely to need a replacement would be the bearing.

Not a true statement, my Assenmacher press has the thrust bearing and it was readily available from a bearing supply place. It needed replacement often in my heyday of working on these.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
Scott Elkes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Scott Elkes wrote:
The thrust bearing was a major feature offered where the others did not have. This made ball joint press operation easier. The part likely to need a replacement would be the bearing.

Not a true statement, my Assenmacher press has the thrust bearing and it was readily available from a bearing supply place. It needed replacement often in my heyday of working on these.

I'm not familiar with the Assenmacher press or when it became available.

I first became aware of the organization [GP Tool] when contacted in 1973 for consultation. The company had a small direct sales force selling the GP 1006 directly to the shops for a year or two and growing slowing. Then came the oil embargo, rising fuel prices for the sales force and a lot of unknowns for their customers, the mechanics and shops, sales nearly stopped. Best guess on availability would be 1971, 1972?

Last edited by Scott Elkes on Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:29 am; edited 2 times in total
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

saw the ad for it in a ''whats new'' department of either hot rod or hot vw's at the time....they said contact my local trw dealer...who of course never heard of it before but were able to order it for me....much later on mac tools sold it so i was able to get a replacement bearing from them....my father in law was a machinist and made the super track arm bushing adapters for me ....either they werent available yet or they were and i had no way of finding out
Scott Elkes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
saw the ad for it in a ''whats new'' department of either hot rod or hot vw's at the time....they said contact my local trw dealer...who of course never heard of it before but were able to order it for me....much later on mac tools sold it so i was able to get a replacement bearing from them....my father in law was a machinist and made the super track arm bushing adapters for me ....either they werent available yet or they were and i had no way of finding out

My best guess for the GP 1006 Time Pirate introduction was around 1971 or 1972. The AK1 kit, followed later, introduced around 1974 or 1975.

Your recollection is pretty much spot on regarding publications and sellers. There were two VW special interest publications "Hot VW's" and another I can't remember. The tools, and the specialized GP designed and manufactured VW parts, were included in the "Whats New!" department along with ad placements of the two monthly publications.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

AST (Assenmacher Specialty Tools) ball joint press was available off the tool trucks. I believe mine came of the Snap On truck.
It is the same design as the GP one. I have pics but my camera is being obstinate and won't let me download them.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
TEXSPLIT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

I`ve had my GP 1006 for years.It save a lot of time ,I`ve even used it on the side of the road on a customer`s car popped a balljoint. I always keep it greased when I use it.I would like a new bearing if anyone knows the part number.I`m using it today to replace the balljoints on a Mini T buggy.
1962 vert
1966 sedan
1967 RHD&LHD
1969 Ghia
1974 THING
1959 panel
1968 DC
1970 Nova SS L-88 427
1929 Model A coupe
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the ak1 kit so I must be one of the lucky few that have one. I really wish the time pirate did later super ball joints. It would have been a great all in one tool. [/url]
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

AST ball joint press sold off the tool trucks. I believe this one came from SNAP ON.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

yup...same tool...guess assenmacher became a dealer for them too...or bought them out...texsplit you just brought back a memory...had a customer with an aztec 7 kit car that dropped a ball joint in lower manhattan near the world trade center... couldnt hook it with my tow truck (and you needed a special medallion to tow cars in the city anyway) so i changed it where it sat trying not to get run over by a cab...
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

One popped up in the classifieds the other day... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1908512
Scott Elkes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: GP 1006 Time Pirate (Ball Joint Tool) Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:

Here's a pic of the ak1 kit so I must be one of the lucky few that have one. I really wish the time pirate did later super ball joints. It would have been a great all in one tool. [/url]

Wow! You even have what looks like the original box along with the instruction/promotion sheet that would have come with the GP1006AK1. A treat to see.

For the adapter kit (AK1) to perform, the kit is used in conjunction with GP1006 and D-ring.

The "Time Pirate" was developed prior to the VW Super Beetle introduction. We really wanted to do something to address this gap. However, the numbers / timing (when the service would be needed) just were not there to redo the "Time Pirate" or develop and market a unique BJ tool for the Super Beetle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: