Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Show With Thing Build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

The Velocity Channel has a new show called Unique Rides and they will be taking on a "Rust Bucket Thing" next week Tues the 1st of March at 9:00 PM EST. Just a heads up. 1800 hrs out here in the west.
GB
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

It appears in the video for the introduction to the season for the show: http://www.velocity.com/introducing-unique-rides/

I watched one of the other episodes. My guess is it will be another "pimp my ride" sort of build.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

New show, old builder..
Will Castro had a show previously called Unique Whips(or something like that.)...they're in Jersey, or New York...

they're much better than Pimp My Ride, and more on par with the newer West Coast Customs builds..

Simple stuff, stereo, cosmetics, and of course wheels... But they put together some unique stuff!

Nice to see that Thing isn't too far gone when they're done!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
New show, old builder..
Will Castro had a show previously called Unique Whips(or something like that.)...they're in Jersey, or New York...

they're much better than Pimp My Ride, and more on par with the newer West Coast Customs builds..

Simple stuff, stereo, cosmetics, and of course wheels... But they put together some unique stuff!

Nice to see that Thing isn't too far gone when they're done!

Joe, West Coast Custom is the shop that "Pimp My Ride" was filmed in. Junk. Rolling Eyes

The only show in my opinion that actually builds quality cars and also VW's is Kindig It Designs' "Bitchin' Rides" on Velocity. http://www.kindigit.com/
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:

The only show in my opinion that actually builds quality cars and also VW's is Kindig It Designs' "Bitchin' Rides" on Velocity. http://www.kindigit.com/

They did a Futurliner. I saw the GM roadshow in the early '50s in Everett, Washington. We must have gone five times.

One show had a guy putting his head between two mini microwave horns to break the signal. I wonder how long it took for him to grow a third ear from the radiation exposure?

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

Shoyrtt, I'm aware of the WCC/ Pimp my ride connection... Thus my qualifier of "...more on par with the newer West Coast Customs".
They've stepped into since the move into the new shop and addition of new talent.

It'll be interesting to see what Castro does to a Thing!! I'm shocked at them leaving stock wheels/tires on it.... If the blue one is indeed the finished product.
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

I saw the episode tonight. I thought it was pimp'n Rolling Eyes
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

I realize that there is no reality in "Reality TV", but that was painful to watch.
I couldn't even make it through the entire episode.
Horrible!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

I was cringing watching the show.

With all the resources and parts available online, they chose to make their own sills? What was with the orange sill sections that were shown inside the car when it came back from "VW Bob"? They were there, and then apparently not used.

They "screwed in" new pans with the body on the car (i.e., didn't weld them, and didn't separate the body from the pan before doing so)! They made a huge deal about the seat slides, yet they missed how to properly install a set of pans on a VW?

Engine looked pretty nice, but why not use the correct exhaust? Yes, it was originally shown with a pea shooter, but it wouldn't take but a minute to recognize that, if you're going to return the car to "stock", you might want to use the right exhaust.

The car came with a top, but was revealed without one and without side curtains. Since the owner parks it outside, that could be an "issue".

Not sure how I feel about having the entire body painted with Line-X bedliner. I've seen it on a Jeep, where it looked pretty cool, until the Jeep got dirty.

Hated the blue/grey color combination. The car came in a non-factory blue. The guys at Unique decided to 2 tone it with the fenders being grey, and then matched the interior seats to those colors. The colors take it right back to the 2 tone fad of the 1980's, which is not a good thing.

What was with the guy hitting the rear seat base to set it in place? And the excessive fiddling with the rear seat backs? It's like they didn't know how to fit the seats, and just guessed, and guessed wrong.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

I turned it off when I noticed that they threw away the correct '73 Thing fan shroud and air filter, and replaced them with worthless Chi-Com aftermarket junk.
To quote Leo Durocher, "I seen enough".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elwood5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

I put Linex on my hardtop about 4 years ago. Still has it's color and is holding up very well. No regrets.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:

Ahh... Sad days... Well, I guess you can take da pimp outta "da hood", but can't take da hood outta da pimp...... Rolling Eyes

They're in Cali, why not enlist the help of some Vdub guys that have a clue.....ahhh, disregard.... This was Will Castros crew in New Yawk, or Joysey..... Wherever they are..

I suppose on one of my work trips, I'll catch this episode in the hotel... After all the comments here, I'll have to watch it like a bad car wreck..... Sad
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

Agree with all of the above. I was laughing so hard watching them take that engine out. At least they kept the stock rims and hub caps and did not put some pimped out rims and tires on it. Looking at the welding they were doing it must have at least 200 lbs of bondo on it.
GB

Last edited by germanbilly on Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Shoyrtt wrote:

Ahh... Sad days... Well, I guess you can take da pimp outta "da hood", but can't take da hood outta da pimp...... Rolling Eyes

They're in Cali, why not enlist the help of some Vdub guys that have a clue.....ahhh, disregard.... This was Will Castros crew in New Yawk, or Joysey..... Wherever they are..

I suppose on one of my work trips, I'll catch this episode in the hotel... After all the comments here, I'll have to watch it like a bad car wreck..... Sad

Joe, just wait until you see 4 or 5 of his crew pull the engine as the car was 5 feet in the air on a lift. Can you say cluster f*ck? Laughing

Then in true pimp my ride fashion everything gets farmed out with the exception of the seats, stereo and "finishing touches". They made a big deal about the car being shipped off to the VW guy and when it was returned the brake lines leaked fluid, the trans would not go into gear due to the rotten pedal assembly sagging. Next they turn to their sand blaster who exposed the horror that would continue. Because they claimed that there were no parts available for this car, they patched metal on top of metal without a cleko or clamp in sight. My guess is they used the Raptor Liner to cover all of the quality body work. Wink

I guess it could have been worse. The sketch drawing showed the Thing on 20+" Dayton wheels. Embarassed
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:

Joe, just wait until you see 4 or 5 of his crew pull the engine as the car was 5 feet in the air on a lift. Can you say cluster f*ck? Laughing

Then in true pimp my ride fashion everything gets farmed out with the exception of the seats, stereo and "finishing touches". They made a big deal about the car being shipped off to the VW guy and when it was returned the brake lines leaked fluid, the trans would not go into gear due to the rotten pedal assembly sagging. Next they turn to their sand blaster who exposed the horror that would continue. Because they claimed that there were no parts available for this car, they patched metal on top of metal without a cleko or clamp in sight. My guess is they used the Raptor Liner to cover all of the quality body work. Wink

I guess it could have been worse. The sketch drawing showed the Thing on 20+" Dayton wheels. Embarassed

I bet they tried to do the 20's, but no one sells an adapter for such figment, so they gave up on the idea... They are accessory installers, at best...

I am sure Mike is not far from them, and could have gottn them any sheet metal they needed..... But of course, that would cost them some $.... Easier to just slap on some sheet and call it "good enough".... Or better yet, "Unique".... Rolling Eyes
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

Time to duplicate a lot that has already been said as well as toss my two cents out there ....

so great idea....a VW Thing....excellent to see

good behind the project story

definite rust case throughout but they are saving it

now to rant

reality TV misleading some poor folks who do not realize that is not how you restore a Thing or auto for that matter.

so many errors, even our newest member would know better(please take no offense if you are new to site)

and to start list of poor attempts of a restore.....

we are doing a full restoration but we are not smart enough to separate pan from body (with proper bracing of course for that one)

put a rebuilt engine in a car you are about to media blast....really
send the car out to blast with trim molding, tail lights etc still attached
poor dash and now what lurks behind it. geez, pull the panels, pull the knobs and gauges, properly prep and paint the dash panels

attach those brand new custom seat covers to the rusty old frames.

saying parts no longer available....

let me see..The Thing shop has bunch of NOS metal. EIS makes repop rockers not counting salvaged panels.

did we even brother to treat inside the rockers or other hidden cavities or will they be the future rot out sections

screwing down pans, yes acceptable but really. your guys are welding stuff right and left

blasted the body with pan attached went to paint shop. suspension freshly blasted, started reconstruction, I did not see but assuming the suspension got coated in blue Linex.

OK, I suffered through it all just to see a Thing on TV.
I will say better than the days of pimp my ride IMO

but, putting lipstick on a pig does not change that it is a pig

do it justice next time

if you are saying you are doing a full restoration....then do it right

all that effort and money will go to waste as it continues to rot from inside out

not like there was not a VW club or shop near by that could educate them other than "VW Bob".......

OK, may just have to watch it again so I can see how big of list of "screw ups" I can capture. call it a game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

Did I see they took a torch and cut the hood hinges? And they called the rear fenders "flairs" . Now the wiring won't rust with the bedliner sprayed on it. The seat covers looks like an Autozone one size fits all. I think I better not write anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

Ron, you saw correct as far as the torch. now I am not sure if were trying to free the hinge or cutting

either way

I am sure others were cringing throughout

good news - more publicity for our Things
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

All I can say is YIKES. I had to turn it off.
Looking at the bright side:
1. Values just went up (another one ready for scrap bin from shotty work).
2. Makes you appreciate good hard work either in your own garage or guys like Dominic Bro's.
4. When in doubt, Ryno line to hide the shotty work.
3. There is nothing Real about REALity TV.
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New Show With Thing Build Reply with quote

Just to pile on here as it appears most of the obvious stuff has been pointed out. What I couldn't believe was sand blasting it with
a) the motor in
b) the dash still in
c) all the suspension components still on

Finally, from a pain perspective, they just matched the blue that was already there (badly). They didn't seem to touch the engine compartment, trunk, wheel wells, etc.

I am sure there is way to much to fit in to a one hour program (42 minutes with commercials) for a complete restoration. If the owner just wanted a cosmetic clean-up up and running, that is what it is.

Thinking back to how much time and effort I have in mine, I wonder if I went over board Smile

jay
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: