Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diamond grey '58 Canadian standard
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Diamond grey '58 Canadian standard Reply with quote

What an incredible transformation! I absolutely love that color. Be proud!!!

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Diamond grey '58 Canadian standard Reply with quote

Beautiful build! Congratulations!

'66 Sedan Project - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410718

R.I.P. - Mikayla. I miss you Baby girl.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Diamond grey '58 Canadian standard Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the encouragement! This car is a bit of a bondo bucket & started out very rough. I wish i could have taken it to a much higher standard, but I'm putting it together to drive not too be a show winner. I'm pretty happy with it anyway.

Just had the front drums sandblasted, re-surfaced, painted black, and installed new bearings
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cleaned up some lugs

cleaned up the old wheels, and gave them a cheap rattle can job for now. Eventually i'd like to get nicer (straighter) wheels to paint the proper colors & slap some nice white walls on them, idk yet.

Rolled her out front to hang out with my '56
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Diamond grey '58 Canadian standard Reply with quote

I installed the new front windshield & ended up buying a new 3-spoke for the car, added the other ivory wheel to my collection.

scraped out my old hood seal & replaced it

had to swap the gearbox out because it was noisy in every gear, and no fun to drive

new to me splitcase....

good time to put the tar boards in anyhow

had a hell of a time getting all the heater parts working correctly with all the broken pieces, but eventually found the right stuff

Got the car tagged & registered. So, i took it out for the first real drive. Still needs wipers, back seat, interior panels & a few other things.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Diamond grey '58 Canadian standard Reply with quote

Congratulations on getting the car registered, and now being able to drive it on the road! What a tremendous accomplishment with its revival.

How does it shift now with the other transmission?
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Diamond grey '58 Canadian standard Reply with quote

Brings back memories!!! My first (of several) VW Beetle I owned was a '59 L243 Diamond Grey model. It was a 'tourist import' to Canada. I bought it in 1966 for $350 from the original owner, and kept it for 3 or 4 years. Wish I still had it!! Back in those days, people sold or traded off cars after 30 or 40K miles....based on their experience with domestic cars. If only they knew!!!
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Diamond grey '58 Canadian standard Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Congratulations on getting the car registered, and now being able to drive it on the road! What a tremendous accomplishment with its revival.

How does it shift now with the other transmission?

It shifts ok, but my coupler is really sloppy & needs fixed or replaced. Makes it hard to get reverse gear. It's a little louder in first gear than my last one, but all the other gears work fine.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Diamond grey '58 Canadian standard Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
Brings back memories!!! My first (of several) VW Beetle I owned was a '59 L243 Diamond Grey model. It was a 'tourist import' to Canada. I bought it in 1966 for $350 from the original owner, and kept it for 3 or 4 years. Wish I still had it!! Back in those days, people sold or traded off cars after 30 or 40K miles....based on their experience with domestic cars. If only they knew!!!

Nice! I might be trading this car off actually. If i don't i might fall in love with it, and my oval will start getting lot rot or something.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Diamond grey '58 Canadian standard Reply with quote

WOW!! NICE!!
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Diamond grey '58 Canadian standard Reply with quote

I got the horn, and windshield wipers working, installed some new shocks in the rear, & drilled some holes in the rear fender & popped in this VW badge. Almost ready for the new owner.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: