Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rebuilding Early sliding door mechanism
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdbww
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: rebuilding Early sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

1983 Vanagon.......

So i finally decided to look into my sliding door latch which was jamming up on me on a regular basis now. the manual lock/unlock lever floats up and down freely so i knew there was a spring broken. aside from that, it still works fine.

i searched online for replacements, found that they were NLA. found some spares in europe but not willing to spend $200 or so for something that only needs a spring, so i decided to rebuild it.

unfortunately, once apart, theres no sign of the broken spring! so i have no idea what it looks like to replace it! i can't find any pics anywhere of a unit disassembled... so i thought i would throw some up. one before cleaning. PN 253843654 for 80-85 vanagons.

can anyone tell me what the spring looks like that operates the manual lock/unlock mechanism????? anybody have any pics of another one taken apart with the spring still intact?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

Wish i could help. Have you thought of looking thru the parts classifieds for a good used one?
Tom
87 Syncro GL
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

Just a thought. Have you looked inside the door for your missing spring? It might just have popped off and is residing inside the door panel.
mdbww
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

thanks for the ideas, but i tried both already. i found some in good shape in europe for 180E without shipping.. thats about it. thats what prompted me to just fix mine.

so... yesterday i decided to think like a german engineer. picked up a torsion spring that i could bend into what i thought it would look like. put it in, bam. lock working. put it back together, lubed, rivets and mounted back on the van. perfect. no more jamming, handle works better than ever and nice n snappy!

hopefully it lasts.

Chugach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

Some would keep such info proprietary, hoard the springs, and tease other's suffering the same malady! thanks for sharing
mdbww
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

Chugach wrote:
Some would keep such info proprietary, hoard the springs, and tease other's suffering the same malady! thanks for sharing

to be perfectly honest, i thought i would put this up for anyone thinking of doing the same, but its not for the faint of heart.. you need to be ready to find a replacement if things go bad! good news is that i tested the sliding door before doing all this and the door will close without the need for the mechanism in place. to open the door back up, just put a screw driver in the cable and yank.

understanding how the spring works for the locking mechanism is not that easy when you don't have one in there to start with... but, y'all got something to reference now if ever ya need it!
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

Great Info & excellent solution..Thanks!

Tom
87 Syncro GL
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

Thanks for that!

My inside lever doesn't do anything when I move it. Was going to investigate soon. I bet that's my issue too. Anything specific as to the spring you used and where you can find one?

I have a used parts source near me so hopefully I can get whatever is needed.
Abelabelabel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

This is really great stuff.

Same problem on my van. My lock nipple/lever wiggles, so that you have to swing it up, and then turn the handle to open. Otherwise it remains locked/jammed.

This is awesome, and timely!

Can you get in to a little more grueling detail about how you modified that torsion spring?

And after that - STICKY!
jerrydog411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

mdbww wrote:

to be perfectly honest, i thought i would put this up for anyone thinking of doing the same, but its not for the faint of heart.. you need to be ready to find a replacement if things go bad! good news is that i tested the sliding door before doing all this and the door will close without the need for the mechanism in place. to open the door back up, just put a screw driver in the cable and yank.

understanding how the spring works for the locking mechanism is not that easy when you don't have one in there to start with... but, y'all got something to reference now if ever ya need it!

Great work! I have a 1982 with the same malady ... and am growing tired of the 'broccoli elastic' half fix.
I am also in Vancouver area and am curious where you purchased your torsion spring?

Thanks for the great thread and info!

John
mdbww
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

well, i am from van, but the van and i are in florida working on a boat.. so i picked it up at a local hardware store that stocks tons of random items... not sure where i would go in van tbh.. grainger comes to mind... maybe a good hobby store?? quick google found this in van: http://www.dendoff.com/springs/torsion-springs/

as for the spring itself, its tricky.. given more time i would have found just the right spring, but i just made what i had work. ideally, you want a LEFT HAND torsion spring. this will allow the spring arms to sit correctly between the body and the lever. the spring i used was a RIGHT HAND which flexes the torsion spring body. i made it work, but the left hand would be better.

ideally, i think a single coil stainless spring would work best, but the coils of the spring need to be small enough to pass between the lever arm and the body as this is what needs to happen for the spring to work correctly.

latch lever down

latch lever up

what i think the torsion spring should look like (stock image from net)

the arm of the spring attached to the lever should be longer than the arm connected to the body. this is hard to explain, but the spring works in two directions. it pushes up and down. in order for this to happen, the spring rotates. picture this: if the lever is up, when you press it down, it compresses the spring until it reaches the 'apex' between up and down. once it has passed the apex, the spring then rotates and pushes in the opposite direction. vice versa when going up. this is why the coils of the spring seem to shift in the pics.

finally, the spring tension shouldn't be too hard nor too soft. they are small springs, so the more tension, the harder it is to lock/unlock but more importantly, the more likely the tabs on the spring will fail to to the nature of the spring flip and friction on the tabs.. this is most likely why these springs fail in the first place. I'm sure the coils are fine.. its the retaining tabs that fail most likely.

if anybody knows exactly what this spring looks like, please chime in! even better, where to find them!

as for when you open up the unit, thats a whole other bag of beans...

there are 4 machine pressed spacers which hold both sides of the body together. drill a hole through the centre SMALLER than the diameter of the bore. this will ensure that the spacers stay in place and aligned correctly. this is important because the spacers are also the pivot points for many of the arms inside the body. the two that have arms on them are the centre and upper left (i drilled the upper left out by accident)

to split the unit in two, then drill out the remaining press fittings ON NON-COATED BODY SIDE ONLY (the one with the long arm!) until you get to the body and poof.. you can now open er up and still have all the mechanisms in place on their spacers! to put together, sandwich back together, make sure you lube the whole assembly and use rivets to hold it all together. nothing should be out of alignment.

you may notice that i also used brass binding post screws on a couple spots.. this is just to make it easier to take apart if ever the prototype spring fails!

well folks, have atter n good luck! Cool
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

Binding Post Screws...... Also known as Sex Bolts......

Fix that lock like you did?
You have skills way beyond average!!!

GOOD WORK!!!!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdbww
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Binding Post Screws...... Also known as Sex Bolts......

Fix that lock like you did?
You have skills way beyond average!!!

GOOD WORK!!!!!

Dave

thanks Dave! yeah... i didn't want to say sex bolts Shocked .... glad somebody did!!
mke_cad-e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

I am going to have to give this a shot. Same issue on my 82’. Tired of holding up the floppy lock button in order to open the door! Thanks for the post. super informative.
JSlate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

I got as far as removing the body of the lock, but couldn't figure out how to open it up. I may need to drill through it, but based on my last projects, Ill end up breaking more than I fix Laughing
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

JSlate wrote:
I got as far as removing the body of the lock, but couldn't figure out how to open it up. I may need to drill through it, but based on my last projects, Ill end up breaking more than I fix Laughing

There's an old axiom in the body shops....if it won't come apart, force it! If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.
Good Luck!!!
87 Syncro GL
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

I did this job today and wanted to add my experience to help anyone trying to find the right size torsion spring. A safety pin with the ends clipped and bent will save you the trips to hardware stores around town that I went through today.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

t3 kopf wrote:
I did this job today and wanted to add my experience to help anyone trying to find the right size torsion spring. A safety pin with the ends clipped and bent will save you the trips to hardware stores around town that I went through today.

MacGyver
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
t3 kopf wrote:

MacGyver
MacGruber….. Wink Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: